What's the biggest thing you struggle with as a dieter?

Options

Replies

• samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    my sweet tooth gets the best of me sometimes-chocolate that is, and I'm not talking about cheap hershey type, I'm talking about the creamy, velvety rich chocolate-major fat/calorie content. I could eat a whole bag of those little Lindt balls. Other than that I'm good.

Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark!

Enstroms Almond Toffee over the holidays...if you're a toffee kinda person DO NOT google it, don't order it, don't look at it. Everyone I've gifted it to became addicted. I will throttle anyone who gifts it to me next year.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    First of all, I don't think you are using a term that really even belongs here. The word "diet" is often associated with the fad type of food changes. I honestly don't struggle with anything, I love to cook I create interesting but healthy meals. If you think eating healthy is dieting, you have something wrong with you.

Eating healthy most of the time isn't "dieting" it's just being healthy but eating healthy all the time? That's a different story. It's hard to consistently watch everyone else eating pizza when you're eating tuna and salad with oil and vinegar. It sucks but we do it and that's why we call it dieting. I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's something wrong with anyone for viewing it that way. I view it that way and I'm a high level competitive athlete (powerlifting now, before was judo, wrestling and football).
  • sjwright66
    Options
    Chocolate candy... donuts... cake... cookies... chips... pop. LOL not that these things are constantly around my house, but sometimes they are and I have a terrible time trying to resist them. And often times, I can't. Last week was my "birthday week" and it was so bad I was eating almost 2000 calories a day! But I was working out hard, so I hope I haven't gained much!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    social situations are not hard, I am a closet eater (dont want others to know how much I am eating,lol) so I guess when I am home alone.

Also, dear hubby just ask me all the time do you want this to eat? at least I give him half and he eats it!

Eating out is hard for me but I try to limit maybe once or twice a month.
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    my sweet tooth gets the best of me sometimes-chocolate that is, and I'm not talking about cheap hershey type, I'm talking about the creamy, velvety rich chocolate-major fat/calorie content. I could eat a whole bag of those little Lindt balls. Other than that I'm good.

Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark!

Enstroms Almond Toffee over the holidays...if you're a toffee kinda person DO NOT google it, don't order it, don't look at it. Everyone I've gifted it to became addicted. I will throttle anyone who gifts it to me next year.

That sounds sinful. But thanks for the warning! LOL
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Definitely sugary foods. I can binge on anything that has a high sugar content ... cake, candy, chocolate, ice cream, etc. I cannot have even a little because that will start a binge that lasts at least a day... usually takes me at least 3 days to pull myse4lf out of it. I know there are some who would argue whether or not sugar is an addictive substance but regardless... for me it is.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    We did not know how much of our social life went around food!
    Major adjustment had to be made
    side bonus more money in our pockets due to not eating out all the time
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Making the time to workout. Seems on the weeks I don't workout, I don't lose any weight even though I stayed at my calorie goal.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    late night sweet tooth
    drinking alcohol
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Mean people who don't support my journey and sabotage me ALL. THE. TIME.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a dieter but I know what you meant. Anyway, chocolate is a biggy for me. As far non food, its people on here with their absolutes!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Portion control
    Identifying "hunger" rather than boredom
    Those times in the calendar when the only thing that will stop homicidal impulses is a pile of chocolate....

A few things...!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Having people think I'm borderline eating disordered simply because I want to get in shape (I'm a healthy weight and only have a few pounds to lose - mainly for the summer to look hot in a bikini!).

I'm not "obsessed" but disciplined (well, trying to be!)
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Managing my food cravings and trying not to graze like crazy when I'm at social events.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That I love to cook and...well eat. I have to ask myself before eating something..."can I eat that?" The answer is usually no.

This is mine, though I'm finding ways of saying "yes" to my style of cooking--I just have to watch the portions, and I weigh ingredients obsessively. Some recipes are pretty easy to modify without sacrificing flavor and texture. For example, last week I made Cuban black bean soup. The original recipe called for 2/3 c. of Spanish olive oil (to saute the sofrito). I managed with 1/4 c.--not too bad spread over 6 servings. I feel sad, though, when I see a recipe that I really can't modify without destroying the dish.

And I agree with an earlier poster: I don't consider myself a dieter.
  • Annie_on_the_way
    Annie_on_the_way Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Time, time, time. I never have enough time...
  • inshapeeasy
    Options

Thats it? lol
  • shadow36
    shadow36 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Becoming bored :/
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Not always being able to see the weightloss as much as others can.

Becoming different to those around me, they are supportive but see me as someone completely different to them - having a different focus or much higher priority than them for diet and fitness. It's worse when they complain about their weight/fitness and claim I am an inspiration, but don't do it. It is hugely frustrating as they're seeing me as doing something they can't do, whereas I think if I can do it anyone can.

No longer being invisible, though I am getting better at that and having lost enough that some people don't recognise me does make up for it a bit.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Right now the biggest thing i'm struggling with is to know how many calories i should be eating with all this argument everyone is having over too few calories vs too many calories. Who is able to eat a zillion calories and who is able to eat less than 1200 calories. My head is spinning this morning.

check out the "in place of a road map" thread, it contains instructions for how to calculate the right amount of calories for you to lose weight the healthy way