Insanity Workout and Shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• kastlekonmama2012
    kastlekonmama2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information...I just purchased whey powder as a post workout drink. So you suggest prior as well? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I not only need to get into shape but lose weight as well. As hard as the Insanity workout is, I really enjoy it. I feel like I am getting the best possible workout.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I started out barefoot and now my feet are killing me! I'm on week 4 and had to start wearing shoes. My feet started to hurt even when I'm wasn't working out. I took a couple of days off and it's a little better, but I'm definately not going barefoot anymore!
  • kastlekonmama2012
    kastlekonmama2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried barefoot last night and my feet are hurting today. I really am thinking about getting the 5 Finger shoes. Hope that becomes my happy medium.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person here that works out barefoot over connect-a-mats? I can't wear shoes unless I'm at the gym's studio or running on the threadmill
  • SteppyRohr
    SteppyRohr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am on my second day of Insanity and currently using my running shoes. Thinking of going shopping soon to search for a pair of court shoes. I am not currently experiencing any foot discomfort but would like to try what they suggested. Good Luck! It is definitely the most 'insane' workout I've experienced but I like it!
  • ashgagas
    ashgagas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity. I'm on day 4 and before I started I did a lot of research on the right kind of shoe. I had read everywhere that you have to have trainers for the support and running shoes were for running, not training. So I went shoe shopping and I ended up buying Nike Flyknits. And yes, they are running shoes. I was trying on trainers and I just didn't feel like I was getting the cushioning I wanted. I tried on the Flyknits and fell in love. It felt like the shoe molded around my foot and I felt so much support and cushion, but they're also super light. My boyfriend has done it with me a few days and he's been using his Asics runners and complained of foot pain, but I haven't had any issues at all. I LOVE my shoes.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity. I'm on day 4 and before I started I did a lot of research on the right kind of shoe. I had read everywhere that you have to have trainers for the support and running shoes were for running, not training. So I went shoe shopping and I ended up buying Nike Flyknits. And yes, they are running shoes. I was trying on trainers and I just didn't feel like I was getting the cushioning I wanted. I tried on the Flyknits and fell in love. It felt like the shoe molded around my foot and I felt so much support and cushion, but they're also super light. My boyfriend has done it with me a few days and he's been using his Asics runners and complained of foot pain, but I haven't had any issues at all. I LOVE my shoes.

The main reason they don't recommend runners is because of lateral movements. Running shoes were not designed for lateral movements and for that reason it is inevitable that you will one day have an incident happen involving rolling your foot while doing lateral drills. Running shoes were designed for front to back movement. It's not so much a matter of cushion.
  • kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person here that works out barefoot over connect-a-mats? I can't wear shoes unless I'm at the gym's studio or running on the threadmill
  • kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like my Brooks Adrenaline running shoes for Insanity, as well as all the other Beachbody workouts. I have tried Nike Free, Shox, & Asics. Brooks have worked best for me, but, everyone is different.
  • ashgagas
    Options
    I'm definitely not saying that any type of running shoe is going to work, I'm just simply saying that the particular running shoes that I bought offer more support and cushion than the trainers I had tried.
  • ashgagas
    Options

The main reason they don't recommend runners is because of lateral movements. Running shoes were not designed for lateral movements and for that reason it is inevitable that you will one day have an incident happen involving rolling your foot while doing lateral drills. Running shoes were designed for front to back movement. It's not so much a matter of cushion.

I'm definitely not saying that any type of running shoe is going to work, I'm just simply saying that the particular running shoes that I bought offer more support and cushion than the trainers I had tried.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

But that's the whole thing I'm saying. You're placing too much importance on those particular aspects when lateral support--something running shoes simply do not have--soles designed deliberately for side to side movements and sudden changes in direction--are what's important. Regardless of cushion, or arch support, or anything else, you are VERY likely to roll your foot doing lateral drills in any kind of running shoes.
  • ashgagas
    Options

But that's the whole thing I'm saying. You're placing too much importance on those particular aspects when lateral support--something running shoes simply do not have--soles designed deliberately for side to side movements and sudden changes in direction--are what's important. Regardless of cushion, or arch support, or anything else, you are VERY likely to roll your foot doing lateral drills in any kind of running shoes.

Well, when I purchased the shoes the woman at the store (which was a fitness shoe store) told me that the shoes I purchased would be great for Insanity, because they offer the support that other shoes do not. That even though they are considered a "running shoe" they would work great for Insanity.

Until you've tried the particular shoe I have, you don't have to be so strong in your criticism.