What Motivates Me. Caution, Rant Inside!

Corporal Todd Love, Google him if you want inspiration and motivation.

I read an article that my son had forwarded me from the Huffington Post about how even though he is a triple amputee, it has not kept him from surfing/skydiving/wrestling alligators/finishing the Spartan Run (no I am not kidding, seriously, Google him). I made the mistake of reading the comments after the article. Enter the Anti-War movement. Cpl Love lost his limbs in combat. There was post after post about how he lost his limbs for “nothing” and everything he did in the Marines was “meaningless”. I am a glutton for punishment, so I read all of them.

After my head cleared, I was pretty angry, I realized a common theme among the people denigrating Cpl Love’s Service. The main complaint that I saw over and over was that “veterans” feel entitled and that we, I am a “veteran” think everyone should worship us as heroes. After reviewing the comments again I noticed these references: soldiers fighting this countries wars never made a job for “me”, never made the streets safer for “me”, and never fixed the economy for “me”. When I realized what was really being said, my anger faded away.

What all the denigrators were really saying was this: “Mememememe”. It wasn’t about Cpl Love, it wasn’t about military veterans, it wasn’t even about war, it was all about “ME!” A scared child crying out in the night, looking for something , externally, that they will never find because it can only be found inside…”me”.

Replies

• Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    I'm sorry you saw that but please remember that the net is full of trolls.

Maybe it is because I'm a military brat but I love veterans, my family has a long history of military service. Blaming them for jobs its sad and depressing. They are there to keep us alive and safe, and give their lives to do it. Washington does stuff like roads and bridges.

There is an argument for not placing the military above the civilian (one of the major reasons Rome fell, not as sexy as the falsely believed "moral" argument) but if they really were self grousing I doubt they got that into governmental theory.