Do you own a RV?

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
I am thinking about buying a RV and would like to know what are the pros and cons of owning one.

Herb

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Options
    Bump
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    I do not own one and the pros are extensive.

Firstly, I prefer to put any cost of purchasing an RV, the maintenance, gasoline, and potentially parking into the cost of plane tickets, accommodations, etc., of a trip I'd make otherwise.

Being young and single, I sometimes find part of my trips are the courting of local girls. It isn't difficult to talk someone into coming back to a hotel room, but I do not think I would have the same success rate with an RV.

If you prefer modern amenities while camping or, are perhaps aspiring to be the DC Metropolitan area's Walter White, then perhaps an RV would be a fine investment.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I lived in one a good part of a year and in many ways just loved it. You gotta be careful what you buy as repairs and maintenance can be expensive. When my daughter is grown and out of the house I'd love to live a more nomadic existence and get an RV again and travel around. Actually I'd like to spend much of the time sailing, and then when on land be in an RV for a good bit. Depending on how much money you have you can plan on where to stay. A few times when traveling we'd park in a Walmart parking lot, which allowed RV's for free. A few times we'd stop at rest areas and other times in paid RV parks. State parks are great too. You have to enjoy traveling and be willing to live simply without a lot of stuff. I can definitely do that.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have a close friend who has one...

It is awesome, but it's a big investment and if you're not going to use it a lot, it probably won't pay for itself.

Do you have any idea what size and class you're looking at? Diesel or gas? Those things make a big difference in the pro/con list in my opinion.

Too big means not very maneuverable. Too small means not very much room inside and less towing capacity. Are you thinking of towing a vehicle or do you want the RV to be your transportation while you're at your destination?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump

You have to have a special driving license for one i found out here...don't know if its the same there!

Zara
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    No, But I traveled cross country a few years ago for 2 months. It was a pimped out ride.
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I prefer towing the RV. I just went to a RV show this weekend and some of the prices on the 2013 are cheaper than a new car.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Pros- You can cook meth in it

Cons- if you leave the key in there while your in the desert, youre screwed