Have you failed a squat?

Options
I'm sure at some point I will fail a squat, I tend to push myself like that. I'm curious what experiences people have had with squat fails. At what point did you fail and what happened? (Did it throw you forward or roll off your back, did you go sideways, etc.)

Replies

• maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I got stuck on the bottom and couldn't push up. It helps to have the catch bars up, otherwise I don't know what I would have done...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have an idea that I will, if I miss the stretch reflex at the bottom.
    I've only failed a squat twice - both times in a squat rack.

Now that I squat without safeties (just a squat stand, nothing to bail the bar on) I have not failed a squat.
    Go figure.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yep. First attempt at 225. Went down, started pushing back up and nothing happened. Sank a bit further into it to get leverage and just dropped to the floor. It was set up perfect, so when I dropped the barbell went straight down the inch or two and landed on the pegs.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I failed once, but I was lucky enough to be with my trainer at the time. We still laugh about it.

It wasnt even that much weight at the time. I went low and simply "sat" there. He says in his mind he was proud of me for going low until a moment passed and he realized I wasnt coming back up. He simply took the bar and re-racked it so I could start over. Not dramatic but we always chuckle when we discuss my days as a beginner.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I have failed a couple times but I always lift in a rack with safety bars. Basically i usually just get stuck at the bottom and can only make it a quarter at the way up so just end up lowering it to the bar and then going to my knees. Pain to unrack and then re rack tho lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yep, on my own, training at home. Not just once either. I work out next to the bed so I can dump the weight if necessary. Squat total fails result in me having to shuffle backwards until the barbell is close enough to the bed so I can dump it.

I don't usually go to failure without my husband spotting me, I usually stop when the last rep is really, really, really extremely difficult and I can barely get up.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Early on before I worked out much in the way of form I got pinned under the bar a few times where I was just in bad position and just had to leave the bar on the safety rails. Fortunaly the rails were at the right height so it wasn't a dramatic event.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yes, first time and only 85 pounds, squatted to the ground and couldn't get back up. I do yoga so I can squat low quite easily but the safety bars were not set correctly and I got stuck.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I got stuck on the bottom and couldn't push up. It helps to have the catch bars up, otherwise I don't know what I would have done...
    I think this will happen to me soon, since I'm starting to struggle at the bottom of my last rep. I have a squat rack too and have tested to ensure that I can safely and easily get out from under it. (Unless I somehow manage to fall sideways or roll the bar down my back.)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It happens. When I'm going heavy I make sure I'm standing in the right spot for the rack to catch the weight and give me room to safely get under. Rolling it off your back and stepping forward is a true emergency option, but it's loud and unless your gym is empty it can be dangerous.

Use one spotter for heavy sets, 3 spotters (1 behind and 1 on each end of the bar) for super heavy sets.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think this will happen to me soon, since I'm starting to struggle at the bottom of my last rep. I have a squat rack too and have tested to ensure that I can safely and easily get out from under it. (Unless I somehow manage to fall sideways or roll the bar down my back.)

It was a few years ago, I'm not sure if I had a knee issue or was just tired. I stopped at the bottom, and had lower it onto the safety bars (which were only a few inches away). It was more of an issue of not rolling onto my butt than a safety issue.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It happens. When I'm going heavy I make sure I'm standing in the right spot for the rack to catch the weight and give me room to safely get under. Rolling it off your back and stepping forward is a true emergency option, but it's loud and unless your gym is empty it can be dangerous.

Use one spotter for heavy sets, 3 spotters (1 behind and 1 on each end of the bar) for super heavy sets.

Mine wasn't even heavy. Stupid Yankees, I hate them. I was stuck and they were busy on their phones. So I went to the big boy gym (Powerhouse) and my trainer followed me home and stalked me. Bah! Sticking with yoga and bodyweight exercises.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yup. I had just pushed up out of a squat and my legs just decided they didn't wanna play anymore. Kinda did a weird shoulder slump thing as I was half way up and managed to get the bar in the pegs. It was loud and a bit embarrassing but hey it happens to the best of them. I'm pretty sure I'll fail quite a few more in the future too. Lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have failed quite a few times - usually it's at the bottom so just sit down and the safety bars catch the bar. Once I failed and it kind of good morning'd - safety bars FTW again.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    Was having issues getting back up, stumbled, and ended up flipping the barbell over my head onto the safety rails. Was lucky I didn't get hurt...
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I fell on my butt... =p
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I haven't failed yet, but I have felt once like I almost couldn't make it up. Nice to read this thread and remember what the safety bars are for! I was a little scared to go again in case I really couldn't make it up the next time. I know what to do now. Thanks!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Never but than again I am chicken **** when it come to squatting
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Once a month at least. This is why its important to practice bailing out. Now that I lift in a power rack the safety bars always got my back. When I lift just off a pull up cage with j-hooks is when knowing how to bail out comes in handy. I really just straighten up my torso to let the bar start rolling off my shoulders/back and drop to my knees. Seems to work pretty well.