To weigh or not to weigh??

Options
I'm new to MFP, off to a pretty good start... i bought a digital scale and weighed myself on friday. I'm using that as my starting weight, and my goal is to lose 8 to 10 pounds in 5 weeks.
My question for you all is how often do you recomend checking your weight? I was thinking weekly, as that should show me if i'm losing my target 2 pounds each week, or at least getting close...
But i've been sticking to my calorie limit and feelin leaner already, and i keep wanting to check my weight again to see if its working. Is it better to check daily, weekly, in between? :huh:

Replies

• 2daughtermom
    Options
    I think the majority of my friends weigh themselves at the same time once a week. It's usually in the morning right after they get up. It doesn't matter what day it is, but is recommended it's done at the same time.

Welcome, you will love this site.
  • Twinmommy13
    Options
    I think it is truly a PERSONAL choice! Many people will say that due to daily fluctuations that you should not weigh everyday. HOWEVER, I believe that weighing myself everyday helps me plan my food for the day. If my weight goes up, I look back at what I ate the day before and modify it (usually it meant I ate WAY too much sodium). AND if it goes down a bit it truly pushes me to make it just one more day.

If you are one that can handle seeing the fluctuations then go for daily. If you are one that will decide to give up and just eat because the scale went up them you need to weigh weekly.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is a personal choice! I weight myself 2 times a week, and it might be more if I feel leaner LOL! I think this journey is all yours and whatever makes you most comfortable then do it! :flowerforyou:

As far as I am concerned the # on the scale is all mine, as long as I have 2 feet on the scale :laugh: I may go a week where I do not get on the scale TOM, and I make up for it the other weeks. After your first week or 2 you will see what works for you, until then maybe 1 x a week will do..but again it's up to you!

:drinker:
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, i :heart: this site so much already - what a powerful tool!
    I think i will check again in the morning, and see how i feel about it. I'm trying to think of this as a marathon, since i tend to sprint towards most things in life. I know this will take a while, but seeing results would sure be encouraging. Either way i feel like i have more energy already, so i'm loving this change.:love:
  • sonnacchio
    sonnacchio Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wellllllllll, I weigh myself all the time. I mean, all the time. First thing when I wake up, after the shower, before I go to bed...basically whenever I'm near the scale. It goes up, down, and around. I'm so used to it by now that I don't pay that much attention to it unless it is at my weekly weigh-in. Now THAT is on a different scale, at work, and I ONLY weigh myself once a week on that at the same time of the day. The routine is important to me and I try to even wear the same clothes on my weekly weigh-in days. The home scale is just to help motivate me to keep going. If it shows a loss, "Yay me!," and if it doesn't, "Get your @$$ in gear!"
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    It's totally up to you but I always suggest weighing everyday. I've seen MANY articles that say weighing everyday is the best because it holds you accountable and keeps you in check. I do think though that you should one RECORD the weight at the same time once a week because you will have fluctuations. As long as you're able to keep emotion out of the equation then weighing everyday is good because you see how well you did the day before and it motivates you for the day. At least that's how it works for me. Your pants can "shrink" in the washer but that scale isn't going to give you any excuses.