Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

this might be a dumb idea- correct me please if it is!

okay- so i was looking at defecit and calorie intake and all that math that goes into losing weight.
and then i had an idea: what if we just set MFP to our "goal weight" and then just lived by that programmed on "maintenance."
so that way, our bmr would be lower- to where our goal weight should be, and we would just excercise cals out and eat cals in to maintain our weight for our desired weight.
would that be helpful? i am not sure if that is.
anyhoo- i made a "mock" week of what it would be like to have my goal weight (127 lbs) and then i looked at what it would take the maintain my weight at that level. according to my calculations, of course my BMR went down like 700 cals- but i find that in order to maintain my goal weight of 127, despite the difference in my BMR- I would have to eat SO much and exercise hardly ever just to maintain. looks like an easy life after the weight comes off.

can someone please set my head straight about this? i can't help but think i just made a totally off the wall experiment that doesnt make sense lol.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    This is a valid approach. Many people have lost weight by eating for their goal weight.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Trouble is if you are severely overweight you have ideas of losing a lot then that could set your weight loss too high and actually prevent you from successfully and healthily losing weight.

No, best bet is say 20% reduction in TDEE or 500 cals off a day (below TDEE)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    It is definitely something that can be done.

For me, it is completely unreasonable. The difference between my TDEE right now and my TDEE at goal is 50 calories. At that rate, I would see one pound loss per 70 days. I have 16 lbs (give or take a couple) to lose. It would take me 3 years to get to my goal.

The more weight you have to lose, the easier it is to do. Even at the weight I started at, at the beginning of the year (22 lbs more than right now) that would create a deficit of 80 calories per day for a loss of one pound per 43 days. If I did that, I would be at goal weight in 4.5 years.

For some people, that would be an easy, very doable way but it really isn't for me.
  • Sunflowergirl1
    Sunflowergirl1 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm basically doing that and am losing between a half a pound and a pound a week, for a total of 8 pounds since mid January.. I figure if I eat and move like I'm at my goal weight right now, that gives me that much longer to be practicing how I will be eating forever.

I have also exchanged 1% of my body fat for 1% more muscle during that time. i know for lots of people that doesn't sound like much, but it has been virtually painless, I feel healthier and I know I will eventually settle into my appropriate body fat % and will be stronger, too.

I am 50 years old, 5'3" and currently weigh 165. I think my goal weight will be somewhere around 140, but I will see what I think when I get closer. For me it is more about how I look and feel than a number on a scale.
  • bunzai07
    bunzai07 Posts: 6
    thanks for the feed back guys!:smile::wink:
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    okay- so i was looking at defecit and calorie intake and all that math that goes into losing weight.
    and then i had an idea: what if we just set MFP to our "goal weight" and then just lived by that programmed on "maintenance."
    so that way, our bmr would be lower- to where our goal weight should be, and we would just excercise cals out and eat cals in to maintain our weight for our desired weight.
    would that be helpful? i am not sure if that is.
    anyhoo- i made a "mock" week of what it would be like to have my goal weight (127 lbs) and then i looked at what it would take the maintain my weight at that level. according to my calculations, of course my BMR went down like 700 cals- but i find that in order to maintain my goal weight of 127, despite the difference in my BMR- I would have to eat SO much and exercise hardly ever just to maintain. looks like an easy life after the weight comes off.

can someone please set my head straight about this? i can't help but think i just made a totally off the wall experiment that doesnt make sense lol.

You have your head straight. This is the plan that I do. I eat the maintenance calories for my goal weight, and it was registered to me by a licensed dietitian.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    That is the philosophy of Fat2Fit - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

But they do suggest dropping by 200 as you get close to goal weight, as your Goal TDEE will be so close to your current TDEE.