Myfitnesspal vs. livestrong/ myplate

Options
So I am 5ft 1in and currently weigh 137lbs. I have set my tracker to lose 1lb a week. Which is not really happening.

I've been using mfp for a long time but recently signed into the livestrong one just for kicks. Now I'm confused. mfp is telling me that I am supposed to consume 1280cal before working out but livestrong is telling me to consume 1701. I don't usually eat only 1200 because I usually workout even though I forget to long it sometimes :blushing:

What are your guys thoughts on this? I know that I don't have a lot to lose but I'd like to continue losing slowly and toning before my wedding in September.

Any input would be awesome!

Thanks

tumblr_m8k2ceSdns1qjs07n.gif

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I went over there and played around with some numbers. The biggest difference I can see is that Livestrong seems to give a more generous calorie allotment for different activity levels than MFP. Over there, if I set myself to lightly active and to lose a pound a week, it gives me 1735 calories a day. Here, I put in moderately active and half a pound a week, and get almost the same: 1780.

From my experience, I trust Livestrong's numbers better. I used them when I lost my first chunk of weight two years ago, and only switched to MFP this time because it now seems the food database is bigger here. After a month on MFP, I was losing weight more quickly than expected, so I switched myself from lightly active to moderately to slow things down. On Livestrong, I lost weight more or less according to the numbers they gave me.

Since your discrepancy is so big, maybe pick a number in between (like 1500), and see where you are in a few weeks? If losing too quickly or not at all, reassess then.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    bump?

tumblr_mfi1flibKk1rktnxqo1_500.gif
  • serrazee
    serrazee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to use Daily Plate and it got me through my initial weight loss (~40 lbs). But I did switch to MFP because of the iphone/ipad apps and the larger database. I just logged into TDP and put in my stats, and it grossly underestimated what I should be eating, as compared to the same stats in MFP.

I would suggest you use the calculator at Fat2Fit Radio's website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ I've been using that and manually adjusting my calories here on MFP, and I've had success.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you use the calculator at Fat2Fit Radio's website http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ I've been using that and manually adjusting my calories here on MFP, and I've had success.

I'll check it out
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use dailyplate to log my food. I find it's easier to find what I eat. And, when I start typing a food I use frequently in dailyplate, it auto fills it in for me.
  • Fayleighcc
    Options
    I like the myplate one better but I have an windows phone so it doesn't have the app.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I like the macro pie chart at Livestrong....
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This thread died a year and a half ago.