Metabolic Assessment

Options
Was struggling and gaining weight trying the eat more to lose approach (I have a history of low cal yo-yo dieting). I decided to pay and have a metabolic assessment done. This is the procedure where they determine your resting metabolic rate. They used a heart rate monitor and a mask on me and I had to be be relaxed in a dark quiet room. It was shocking the news I found out. My RMR is 907! Online calculators said I should have been around 1383. Factor in my desk job I am at 1179 TDEE per day.

So now I am on a plan to increase that RMR, but I only get to eat more when I exercise, as I have to eat back those calories.

So wanted to throw this suggestion out there to those who the formulas may not seem to work. Find a dr. or fitness center where you can have these tests done and figure out exactly what your body is doing.

I have a long road ahead of me to fix this metabolism and get it better.

Replies

• karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've been saying the same thing. I had a body composition scan done and the results there differed by almost 200kcal.
  • whitnm76
    whitnm76 Posts: 47
    Options
    Where do you go to get a metabolic assessment?
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Where do you go to get a metabolic assessment?

Yeah please tell.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bump
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Are you near a university? I had mine done at the local university. I did a metabolic assessment and a VO2 max test. The results were enlightening, though until recently, I haven't done much with them.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had mine done at a bariatric weight loss clinic.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I actually found the center on Twitter. She used Newleaf, or something like that equipment. If you are in or near St. Louis area this is the company I used www.fit4lifestlouis.com
  • mgsimon
    mgsimon Posts: 18
    Options
    I actually found the center on Twitter. She used Newleaf, or something like that equipment. If you are in or near St. Louis area this is the company I used www.fit4lifestlouis.com

I had mine done at both a weight loss clinic associated with a hospital (only $85 if you pay cash since insurance usually doesn't cover it) and my GYM actually has the gear to do the testing as well as VO2 testing (to see how many calories you burn when exercising. Good news, people. You CAN increase your RMR and significantly. I went from 1550 4 months ago to almost 2100 while dropping 20 lbs. My doctor was surprised, but said you can do it if you go from completely sedentary to active.

I still can't bring myself to eat like my RMR is that high now, but I'm hoping to work up the courage to do so. Eating 400 extra calories a day can seem downright indulgent when you've been mostly good.
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just made an appointment for mine, at Ways to Wellness in Woodbury, MN. It includes RMR test and a nutrition consult for $125. I can't afford the V02...maybe later ($185). But this should get me some good insight.