Trouble with breakfast

Options
I find that if I'm good, and eat breakfast in the morning, I'm *starving* a few hours later. But if I skip breakfast, I can easily make it until my lunch/break without needing to eat. Any idea why this is? Does anyone else have this problem?

It also doesn't seem to matter what I eat. A hearty bowl of oatmeal or cereal, a muffin, pancakes, what have you, I'm ravenous by lunch. I mean "GIVE ME FOOD NOW!" But if I just have my coffee, I'm good for hours! I don't get it.

Replies

• frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i think perhaps it is because you get your metabolism going when you have your first meal of the day

if i skip breakfast **** gets weird.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well I used to be like this too. I never ate breakfast or lunch. Didn't get hungry until
    Around 5 pm then I would eat the whole house.

I have 3 meals a day and a snack before bed now. Took a while to get into the routine but I feel better with more energy.

I think what made me hungry is thinking about what I was going to have for my next meal. When I wasn't eating during the day my body wasn't expecting food because my mind told it not to.
  • williakc
    williakc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    100% agree with Sammykat76. if i eat breakfast i eat around 2500 cal. 600 of it BRekkies. if i skip breakfast i eat around 1900 calories. and i am not hungry or distracted in the morning to mid morning. i also get the FASTing benefits if i hold out till 1 or 2 pm giving me an 18 hour fast window. thus clearing the insulin/food engine.... i do not always do this maybe 3 4 times a week.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, so I often skip breakfast. It works better for me to do so.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    why not have a snack? trying not to eat when you're hungry will backfire
  • awfuldaring
    awfuldaring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I eat a protein-heavy breakfast (yeah I eat burgers for breakfast!), the hunger by lunch is a lot more manageable. :) I eat breakfast at like 7:30 am so I also eat a snack.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use to have coffee only for both breakfast and lunch.
    Now I have a breakfast that is high in protein. Yes I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast.
    At first. I literately was gagging getting the food down, my body was asking what are you doing? :grumble: \
    Then I adapted to eating in the morning.
    I went off the grains and I stopped having that "I am starving every two hours" after eating that muffin, cereal, etc...
    Hope this helps
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same as you here. I almost never had breakfast and wasn't hungry until 11am or something. Now I have breakfast (mostly so I don't pass out while working out, so usually just a protein bar) and I'm still hungry at 11. It probably depends on your breakfast though, I'm sure if I stuffed myself I wouldn't be hungry for a long time... But I workout in the morning too so I guess it makes sense.

Today I didn't have breakfast (I slept in), and I was starving at 3pm and had to have a bigger snack to tide me over until dinner, and I'm only going to be 80 calories short (like most days). Having a bigger dinner though, 460 calories as opposed to my usual 350.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about eating breakfast if you don't want to.

I don't eat breakfast regularly as I find somedays I'm just not hungry in the morning. If I don't eat breakfast I can go until noon or later without being hungry. No need to eat breakfast if you aren't hungry in the morning as long as it doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast is important becuase it set you up for the day. Food gives you energy, you body is happy and will burn fat starting in the day.. Plus. if I don't eat breakfast.. I don't eat enough calories during the day.

None of this is verified by me. I just know that breakfast for me is the key to weight loss. When I skip it, i don't do well, I don't feel well and I'm more apt to make bad choices later in the day.

I've seen people say they never eat breakfast and are clearly losing weight. I think it'sa personal chocie.. however.. I know our bodies need fuel and going 12 + hours without eating can't be healthy

*oh.. and the reason you get hungry quicker is that most peopel only eat a small amount for breakfast.. not enough to substain yourself for more then a few hours. You body burns though it and then wants more. Compare what you eat for breakfast to what you eat for lunch/dinner. Much smaller right? *for most of us that's true*.. it's like teasing your body with half the fuel it needs to get through those hours. I fyou don't eat. your body doesnt' kick into gear
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    protien!

I have the same issue when I eat oatmeal, cereal, starch based foods in the morning. But, throw an egg in there and I'm good.
  • kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    Breakfast in the one meal a day I could EASILY skip.....and like many others here, I am starving and have unbearable cravings by 10-11am even if my brekkie was a healthy portion of porridge! :-(

I have recently started to try snacking on unsalted nuts (almonds) about 30g and drinking LOTS of water to fill me up....it helps, but often the long stint of hunger means my lunch is eaten too fast and I feel unsatisfied after that also.....

Dinner time is my worst time, and normally where my whole day of being healthy FAILS!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast is important becuase it set you up for the day. Food gives you energy, you body is happy and will burn fat starting in the day.. Plus. if I don't eat breakfast.. I don't eat enough calories during the day.

None of this is verified by me. I just know that breakfast for me is the key to weight loss. When I skip it, i don't do well, I don't feel well and I'm more apt to make bad choices later in the day.
    So, that's what works for you. I do better, and am more apt to make better choices later in the day, when I don't have breakfast. (Obviously I do "break the fast" at some point, just much later in the day)
    I've seen people say they never eat breakfast and are clearly losing weight. I think it'sa personal chocie.. however.. I know our bodies need fuel and going 12 + hours without eating can't be healthy
    Why can't it? Check out some of the research on intermittent fasting for long term health benefits. It's quite interesting.
  • sremarie
    sremarie Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a similar issue so what I do is eat a moderate breakfast, and to avoid feeling like a hungry hippo in 4-5 hours of so, I make sure I eat a light snack a 2-3 hours after breakfast. It makes the wait to lunch much more bearable.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but it would be good to know what you are eating on those mornings where you get hungry in order for us to analyse. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh I frequently have lunch at 11am or something to solve the problem. Lol.
  • sammykat76
    Options
    Part of the trouble is I work a job where I don't get a lunch break. I get two 15 minute breaks, usually around 11am and again at 230pm or so. There is not enough time to eat a healthy meal. I try to snack on more healthy things on my breaks though. But if I eat breakfast before going to work, I find that I am *starving* come breaktime, and that's when I want to make a more unhealthy choice for food.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal at all. I have a tall glass of water and a mug of coffee in the morning, and eat my lunch on the bus to university around 1120. Once I eat I'm pretty hungry all afternoon but I snack on raw almonds, apples, or smoothies sometimes. I also tend to have a pretty big satisfying dinner. This routine works well for me. There is no scientific evidence out there that skipping breakfast is bad for you, unless it causes you to backload alllll your cals at the end of the day. (the nice big dinner helps me not do this :)