success stories from 1200 calorie dieters wanted

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't had any complaints before.

Have you ever had the guts to actually post a picture of yourself on social media whilst openly attacking others for no reason other than to cause offence?

I would call your comments today somewhat troll like and rather incendiary for no reason other than you feel the need to bring someone down who is in superb shape and a vast majority of people would agree.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    After careful consideration and not a little angst, I've decided to eat and exercise however the f**k I want and not to listen to Internet waffle.

I'm going to call this approach EEHTFIW and for the low, low price of $199.999 (plus postage and handling), you too can enjoy the immense benefits of my new regime. It may possibly make you irresistible to the opposite sex as an added bonus, but individual results may vary.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Okay feel free to think what you want, but becoming a body builder isn't my goal and I think it looks creepy, not just on women, on men too, but if they are happy with it then what I say shouldn't matter.

Change things around, if someone saw you lying on a coach, what would they think of you? Do you think you would appreciate similar comments?

I find obese people repulsive, I do not know how one can walk around looking like that. Does that sound nice? No. So how do you think it feels coming around the other way?

Diet until you reach the body of YOUR liking. She is dieting down using methods of lifting weights in a way she likes to achieve HER goals.

You don't like muscle? Don't lift weights. Like muscle but not as lean? Stop dieting when you are the body fat levels you are happy with.

Comprende mon ami?

ps - I do not find obese people repulsive, I am clearly trying to put a point across.

olivia-gif-5.gif
  • j_masher
    j_masher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    After careful consideration and not a little angst, I've decided to eat and exercise however the f**k I want and not to listen to Internet waffle.

I'm going to call this approach EEHTFIW and for the low, low price of $199.999 (plus postage and handling), you too can enjoy the immense benefits of my new regime. It may possibly make you irresistible to the opposite sex as an added bonus, but individual results may vary.

Ty!!! And $199.999 is a low price to pay for good old fashion common sense.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories a day. Being a college girl, I am also a heavy drinker (which is pretty much what got me here haha) :drinker:
    I do eat (or drink) my exercise calories.
    I started on here on December 29th 2012 and as of yesterday, March 9th 2013 I am 25 lbs down. It works and if I eat the right foods, I have no problem staying under a 1200 net calorie diet :)
    I feel fantastic! :bigsmile:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone who does 1200 calories who have succeed and the managed a lifestyle on that calories rather than bouncing back up 20-30lb when they stop? Does this not tell you anything about the diet you are doing not being sustainable.

1200 calories will indeed work for most, but you will be burning lean tissue mass and this is what makes weight off more difficult because your resting BMR drops, same with your TDEE.

Furthermore, do you not consider your future bone health important? Esp important as you age. I personally would eat more and enjoy a healthier and longer life.

Yo Lazarov ( www.myfitnesspal.com/yo_lazarov) my other half eats between 1600-200 calories a day and we train 5 days a week on average, for around about one hour, and do very very little cardio:

Yo before she started training with me...

yojustbeforegottogether.jpg&action=rotate

Yo's results after 4 and a bit months of training with me...

yo3m.jpg

65619366.jpg

yo1vc.jpg

Regardless, good luck all and I hope you all get the bodies and results you are looking for.

not quite right..........you will lose lean muscle mass unless you are strength training full stop. I am eating not much more than 1200 and have maintained my lean weight for months now. Prior to that I was eating anywhere from 1600 to 1800 and walking on the treadmill everyday. I lost more lean weight doing that than eating at a lower cals and lifting weights with no cardio.

Edited to add. Your chick has a great bod but it's not something I aspire to at my age.
  • ravimoosad
    Options
    I was on a 1200 diet and I lost around 12 kg (around 26 pounds) and my wife on a similar diet lost around 25 Kg (around 55 pounds). There is nothing wrong with a 1200 Calorie diet provided those calories come from good sources. My calories mostly came from whole grains, fruits and cooked pulses. Nutrition, I believe is more important than the calories count.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I think it's awesome that it's working for you... but you don't have 100lbs to lose like the person in the post you're quoting. According to your ticker, your goal was less than 20. Some of us are facing 5x that goal or more. I've been directed to the eatmore2weighless site whose logo is in your ticker more times than I can count and it honestly disturbs me that people take this site as fact. The "facts" are that the 2 women that run that site aren't medical or fitness professionals, they have zero credentials.

Women athletes burn more calories because they have more muscle mass and burn more throughout the day, so they can maintain their weight with much higher calorie intakes. Obese people that need to lose large amounts of weight have different needs than someone who just needs to lose 20lbs, and they shouldn't be constantly attacked for "eating too little" because of it. Not attacking you personally, just sick of seeing this EM2WL propaganda and its formula promoted as gospel all over the forums when it's truly not a formula that is one size fits all.

1. Those two women ARE fitness professionals.

2. Just because my ticker says that doesn't mean that I started at a much higher weight before I joined MFP. You don't know what my journey has been.

3. People with lots of weight to lose actually need to eat much more to start. A 5'7" female at 250lb actually has a caloric need of 3300 calories per day. Three times what most of you are eating.

The point is that you all are pulling 1200 out of thin air without calculating how much you need to maintain muscle mass and your activity level and your goals.

The point is NOT how much an athlete eats or how much the people on EM2WL eat..... the point is that they're informed and you're not. They take time to read the information and make well-informed decisions. They're calculating their needs for their activity and their goals. And voila, they're being successful.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Size 3x to size 6. You can see how much weight I've lost by my ticker. I've mostly stuck with 1200 calories. I did eat exercise calories back most of the time but not this past couple of months (because the last 20 pounds is such a pain to lose).

However, I'm older, extremely sedentary, and I have a history of yo-yo dieting which means my metabolism probably isn't the fastest thing ever. So 1200 works for me and is probably is too low for someone younger and more active.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My 1200 calorie diet isn't a diet and 1200 is not a magic number to me.
    My "diet" is the way I like to eat - good healthy (mostly organic vegetarian) foods, not starving, not stuffing myself, wine & cheese & the occasional treat.
    1200 cals is just one of the many numbers that go into my eating & lifestyle: Fats, proteins, fiber, energy burned, my HEART RATE - all those numbers are equally important to me. Probably more so.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Size 3x to size 6. You can see how much weight I've lost by my ticker. I've mostly stuck with 1200 calories. I did eat exercise calories back most of the time but not this past couple of months (because the last 20 pounds is such a pain to lose).

However, I'm older, extremely sedentary, and I have a history of yo-yo dieting which means my metabolism probably isn't the fastest thing ever. So 1200 works for me and is probably is too low for someone younger and more active.

Congrats ...that's success to me!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories for 2.5 months. I have lost 31 pounds. I feel great! I am 51 years old, 5 foor 5, and started out at 267. If it stops working, then I will up my calories a little, but so far so good. I am not eating back my calories, as I have not been super active.
  • catpajamas91
    Options
    I'm 21 years old, 5'1" and I've lost 60lbs eating between 1000-1300 calories per day over the past year.

When I joined it was recommended I eat 1340 calories to lose 1lb per day. I noticed that every 10lbs I lost, the calorie number would go down by 60 when I'd let MFP readjust. So, when I hit 1200, I manually put in the 'correct' number, and have continued to lower it as necessary. I'm down to about 1000 calories now, and weigh 110lbs.

I haven't plateaued. I think my weight loss is sustainable and I'm not starving myself so it won't be a problem to continue this way for the rest of my life. Some days I feel hungrier, so I eat more, but those days are pretty uncommon. However, my daily life involves very little movement; other than the time I spend at school walking between classes, most of my day is spent on the couch in front of my tv. So it's not like I need a lot of calories/energy. In the summer I go to the gym at least three times a week for a few hours, so I eat back my workout calories then, because I actually need that energy. There's no way I could be active and exercising on only 1000 calories per day.
  • rossmy1
    rossmy1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Awesome job! How many grams of carbs due you consume daily?
  • rossmy1
    rossmy1 Posts: 17
    Options
    You look amazing, keep up the good work!
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Great job '1200 calorie ladies!' Wooh hoo! Love the thread keep doing what works for you! Don't mind the people who think they know YOU better than YOU know you. It works for some, but not all. Congrats ladies!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just want to clear up a misconception about EM2WL and IPOARM. "Eat more" is a nice little catch phrase, but it's not about eating MORE, it's about eating RIGHT for your body, your age, your weight, your activity, etc.

It's just math. Calculating what your body burns in a typical day, or what it will burn at your goal weight, and taking a reasonable percentage off that amount. Typically 20% below is recommended, sometimes 30% if you have a lot to lose, or 10-15% if you're closer to your goal. All you need to lose weight is eat less than your TDEE, and not a HUGE amount less.

My TDEE is about 2300. If I were to eat 1200 calories, that would be about half of what my body burns in a day. I don't need a ~50% deficit to lose weight. No one does.

I like thinking of losing body fat like being a merchant selling clothing. Because I like shopping and it's something I can wrap my brain around. :smile: If I want to sell a lot of shirts, I might discount the price. If I offer 10-30% off, it's going to be a lot more enticing for those shopping. But if I sell it at 50% off, people will surely buy it, but it doesn't leave me, as a merchant, enough of a profit to live on.

If I only give my body 50% of what it needs, I'm not giving myself enough nutrition to live on. I might be able to get by for a time, but it's going to have negative consequences long term. Just like not making enough profit.

Now, I've noticed that a lot of the success stories in here (and congrats, BTW!) are from women who tend to be around 45 and up, and many admit to being fairly sedentary. Some of you are very petite, too. In your cases, you might plug all your numbers into a TDEE calculator and find out that 1200 calories IS the right amount for you. And if that's the case, great!

But pretty please, with sugar on top, don't go into a thread from a much younger, much more active person who's struggling to lose weight and suggest that "1200 is just fine" because it's fine for you. Please at least state your stats to that person, so they have some kind of perspective.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The measure of whether a diet is successful is whether the weight loss has been maintained 5 years later. This is the number that studies on success/failure rates (at least in this country) are based on.

Could we modify the question to take that into account? After all, it's not a success if you hit your goal and then 2 years later you gain most of it back again.

I would be genuinely interested in whether people have lost the weight, kept it off for 5 years and, if so, what diet/maintenance plan they followed.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Lol Froody...I read this n thought I want to friend this person and lo and behold it's you! This is why I wuv u!
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Now, I've noticed that a lot of the success stories in here (and congrats, BTW!) are from women who tend to be around 45 and up, and many admit to being fairly sedentary. Some of you are very petite, too. In your cases, you might plug all your numbers into a TDEE calculator and find out that 1200 calories IS the right amount for you. And if that's the case, great!

But pretty please, with sugar on top, don't go into a thread from a much younger, much more active person who's struggling to lose weight and suggest that "1200 is just fine" because it's fine for you. Please at least state your stats to that person, so they have some kind of perspective.

First of all, this thread was started by a 49-year old woman.

That said, I absolutely agree that older people, especially post-menopausal women, have enormously different dietary needs than young people, and one size does not fit all. And that's the point. We older women are DAILY confronted by said younger people (and, weirdly, male body-builders) on this site who insist they know more about our bodies than we do. Kinda reminds me of a certain American political party. Hmmm, maybe there's a clue in there.

It's all still just math, no matter who's cute marketing you adopt. So wouldn't it be great if we left each other alone to work on our own goals? Because, frankly, this crap is counter-productive.

Back to the group that understands me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9239-the-ladies-who-lunch

Ciao.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!