Goals for tracking inches

Options
I am a female currently tracking my all over body inches (arms, chest, stomach, hips, upper legs and lower legs). Unlike my weight, though, I don't have a goal. Does anyone know of any charts that have ranges for healthy inches (like a BMI does for weight)? I've always heard the 36-24-36 rule, but not sure that applies to everyone. I did try to research this online and the only measurement that came up with any lengthy discussion was the waist measurement...there's more to me than a waist.

Replies

• London1990
    London1990 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a female currently tracking my all over body inches (arms, chest, stomach, hips, upper legs and lower legs). Unlike my weight, though, I don't have a goal. Does anyone know of any charts that have ranges for healthy inches (like a BMI does for weight)? I've always heard the 36-24-36 rule, but not sure that applies to everyone. I did try to research this online and the only measurement that came up with any lengthy discussion was the waist measurement...there's more to me than a waist.

Hiya. Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I also want to know the answer! I was also wondering how many inches/cm you are hoping to lose a week? Generally people say you should lose 1-2lbs a week, and so managing this means you are on track, however how do you know whether you're on track with inch loss?
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - makes me glad I'm not alone...:smile: Not sure how many inches/week...right now, I just want to see progress, but I do like having goals to shoot for and celebrate when I reach...:drinker:
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know this answer.....
  • YOLLIE_MADE_ME
    Options
    From what I was told about the 36-24-36 rule was from a guy so I don't know how helpful it would be. He said it was chest waist and hip size. As for to know if your on the right track with inches usually goes by month from what my cousin told me. It also goes by weight loose and body type so that varies for everyone. I know it's not very helpful but that is what I've been told.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    The most important thing is the waist-to-hip ratio http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/waist_hip.asp

For women, under 0.8 is preferable.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    Me too...

I know there's a "Waist-to-Hip" Ratio that's supposed to predict risk for heart disease...
    the main idea is that the higher your ratio (the more weight you're carrying around your lower abdomen)
    the higher your risk is.

Other than that, I haven't found anything either.

Maybe it will help if we could just get some healthy, thin people to post their measurements
    and instead of finding our weight loss twin, we find someone we want to look like eventually?
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    The most important thing is the waist-to-hip ratio http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/waist_hip.asp

For women, under 0.8 is preferable.

Thanks for the calculator...using it now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    when I was obese I set a goal for my waist to be less than half my height, because that's what some doctors are advising for basic health. When I hit that goal, I was around 25% body fat, so it turned out to be a pretty good goal :) I'm 61 inches tall, so my goal was to get my waist below 30 inches.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    From what I was told about the 36-24-36 rule was from a guy so I don't know how helpful it would be. He said it was chest waist and hip size. As for to know if your on the right track with inches usually goes by month from what my cousin told me. It also goes by weight loose and body type so that varies for everyone. I know it's not very helpful but that is what I've been told.

this goal would only be suitable for some body types, in this case an hourglass. You can't control where you lose fat from, or your body type. For example a pear shaped woman might be below a 36 bust while her hips are still closer to 40. Those numbers are quite extreme even for an hourglass, i.e. to still be 36 in the hips and bust while being 24 in the waist. Some hourglass shaped women will be more like 36-26-36 and then 35-25-35, etc, and not ever hit those measurements.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    With my chest:waist:hip ratio, I feel more like a square. I just wish I could find a chart with healthy ranges for the whole body: neck, arms, chest, waist, hip, legs.
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have looked for a calculator like this as well, and only found stuff about waist measurements being below 30 inches.

Anyway, my current measurements are bust 34", waist 27", and hips 37". My arms are 10.5 and my thighs are 20".

My goal is bust 34", waist 26" and hips 36". My goal for arms is 9-10" and thighs 18-19". I just pulled these number out of thin air basically and by just looking at my body now and trying to envision what it would look like a few inches smaller in places. Now that my waist is 27" though I might shoot for 25". It just seems like I still have a lot to lose there- more than just one inch. I guess what you could do is look up people who you'd want to look like that have the same body type as you and see what their measurements are. Like for me- I'm the same height as Eva Longoria and have a very similar body type. Her measurements are 32-23-33. Since my bust is 2 inches bigger I guess I could shoot for 34-25-35. That actually sounds quite perfect! :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

this goal would only be suitable for some body types, in this case an hourglass. You can't control where you lose fat from, or your body type. For example a pear shaped woman might be below a 36 bust while her hips are still closer to 40. Those numbers are quite extreme even for an hourglass, i.e. to still be 36 in the hips and bust while being 24 in the waist. Some hourglass shaped women will be more like 36-26-36 and then 35-25-35, etc, and not ever hit those measurements.
    Exactly. You can't reasonably decide on a specific measurement and be able to hit it. Right now I'm at 35-24.5-33. I will never be an hourglass shape. My hips are narrow and my shoulders and ribs are wide. I have a more masculine build. If I wanted big hips I'd have to get fatter but then my other measurements would likely increase as well.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    I have looked for a calculator like this as well, and only found stuff about waist measurements being below 30 inches.

Anyway, my current measurements are bust 34", waist 27", and hips 37". My arms are 10.5 and my thighs are 20".

My goal is bust 34", waist 26" and hips 36". My goal for arms is 9-10" and thighs 18-19". I just pulled these number out of thin air basically and by just looking at my body now and trying to envision what it would look like a few inches smaller in places. Now that my waist is 27" though I might shoot for 25". It just seems like I still have a lot to lose there- more than just one inch. I guess what you could do is look up people who you'd want to look like that have the same body type as you and see what their measurements are. Like for me- I'm the same height as Eva Longoria and have a very similar body type. Her measurements are 32-23-33. Since my bust is 2 inches bigger I guess I could shoot for 34-25-35. That actually sounds quite perfect! :)

I will do what you did...I'm a little bigger than you in all my measurements, except for waist (I'm a lot bigger there, at least 10"), so for my first inches goals, I'm going to use the ones you are currently at for bust, hips, arms and legs...waist, my goal will be 5 inches down from the first measurement. I would love to look like Charlize Theron, but I need about 6+ more inches in height and some plastic surgery...but that's another post for another day. Does it sound weird though, that part of my lack of motivation is that I am fairly happy with the way I look...it's not even close to "perfect", but who is?