Plant-based eaters - I need help getting greens!

Options
To those of you who are eating plant based, this may seem like a completely silly problem, but here it is. I'm in the process of transitioning into a plant-based diet and have managed to eliminate eggs, meat, dairy etc easily enough. During the transition I've been leaning heavily on starches which I was prepared for. But now that I've been successful eliminating animal products for a couple of weeks, I would like to start reducing some of my "crutch" foods (starches, meat replacements etc).

I'm not a salad person on a good day, let alone during the cold winter months in Michigan. I've been tossing kale or spinach into my soups but that is kind of the extent of my greens right now. Once it warms up I will have an easier time eating cold fresh greens, but until then I need some creative ways to "sneak" them in on myself. I've been hitting up Pinterest for recipe ideas, but thought this was a question that some of you may be able to help more with.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! :)

Replies

• 7wireless7
    Options
    Hi,

I'm vegan so I eat 100% plant based.

I would highly recommend trying out some of the recipes on this site http://fatfreevegan.com/

Really good low fat food and lots of sneaky veg ;)

Good Luck :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i love vegies. i find that theyre a bit of a mission to get up to calories without oils, fats etc lol.

faves include eggplant, avocado, courgette, capsicum (bell pepper), pumpkin, celery and cherry tomatoes.

probs the sneakiest cheatiest way is to grate up things like courgette and throw it into egg dishes, pasta sauces, whatever. i make pizza but put it on top of mushrooms, courgette, or eggplant slices... lasagne with sliced grilled eggplant/courgette in lieu of pasta and a sauce made of grated sauteed veg in tomato based sauce....

its not that hard once you get in the habit, and vegies are SO tasty!
  • caffeinekandie
    Options
    Don't think about having to sneak them into foods, I find I avoid them when I make an effort and I've been a veg*n for 5 years. In fact I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually eat a salad during the course of the year.

I also recommend fatfreevegan as a great resource, or if you can pick up a vegan cookbook (I personally love Appetite for Reduction). Also when making foods that you used to make you can make little substitution. I made a vegan lasagna a few weeks ago that instead of being loaded with fake cheese and meats I put in layers of spinach and mashed cauliflower (this is based on a recipe from Appetite for Reduction actually). Or if you make a sauce you can add peppers, or spinach, in chunks or blend them in, and maybe use spaghetti squash instead of carb based noodles. I also enjoy a nice green smoothie.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Don't think about having to sneak them into foods, I find I avoid them when I make an effort and I've been a veg*n for 5 years. In fact I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually eat a salad during the course of the year.

I also recommend fatfreevegan as a great resource, or if you can pick up a vegan cookbook (I personally love Appetite for Reduction). Also when making foods that you used to make you can make little substitution. I made a vegan lasagna a few weeks ago that instead of being loaded with fake cheese and meats I put in layers of spinach and mashed cauliflower (this is based on a recipe from Appetite for Reduction actually). Or if you make a sauce you can add peppers, or spinach, in chunks or blend them in, and maybe use spaghetti squash instead of carb based noodles. I also enjoy a nice green smoothie.

i love cheese - but do you think that the cauli puree mixed 50:50 with a normal cheese sauce would work in lieu of a full bechamel?
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm plant based as well and I really like the recipes from the Happy Herbivore (she has website as well as books to buy) or Engine 2, also website and book. Forks Over Knives also has a book.

We try and include greens in everything - even on our rice and lentil burgers - we put spinach or lettuce - Engine 2 has mushroom paninis with greens, kale and lemon sandwich which was fantastic, curried pea soup which we just made, asparagus with lemon juice - SO many possibilities!

If you don't want to buy the books many of these sites have free recipes online..............I am lovin being plant based and feel better then ever on it!
  • alice74
    alice74 Posts: 28
    Options
    I've managed to add a lot of greens through smoothies. My current obsession:

1 c. almond coconut milk (Blue Diamond, Unsweetened)
    1 frozen banana
    2 T PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    3 cups (packed) organic baby spinach
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in smoothies (with a cup of almond milk & a banana).

Yesterday, I made chili with beans, tomatoes, pepper and a ton of zuchini.

I also eat a lot of salads.
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I keep bunches of parsley and cilantro on hand. I throw a little on almost everything I eat. We love tacos - made on ground whole corn tortillas w/o preservatives with black beans, hummus and veggies. I always throw a heap of cilantro on top. I also make pico de gallo with lots of cilantro. Just throw tomatoes, onions, jalepeno and cilantro in your food processor & chop it up. I prefer mine to be coarse and I put it on everything except fruit.

I love salads, but my boyfriend does't. He isn't vegan, but he eats whatever vegan meal I make for dinner each night. I make a kale salad that, much to my surprise, he loves. Maybe you will too? Essentially I use one whole bunch of lacinato kale (no stems or center vein, leafy part only) and add an avocado dressing: Put one avocado in food processor, add 1/2 tsp ground mustard, 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar and the juice from one lemon. Blend well. Scoop this onto the kale - it will be thick. Then using your hands, mash the kale and dressing together until the kale is evenly coated. Sprinkle raw sunflower seeds on top.

Good luck!
  • pb3693
    pb3693 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Thanks for all of the great recommendations. I will definitely be checking out the extra links & trying the recipes. I've been browsing the Engine 2 diet site - if you've not tried their french toast I recommend it, its great! I got creative last night and added kale to my nachos and they were awesome! I sauteed mixed colored bell peppers and chopped kale with a tiny bit of garlic and onion until tender (without oil), then tossed that mixture, salsa and some sweet potato chunks on top of my chips with non-fried beans. It was a fun blend of sweet, spicy and savory and super filling - 9 chips was almost too much.

I feel so much better already that I'm excited to see how I will feel once I'm completely plant based. I've found that my taste buds have already changed for the better. I've had a few slip ups but have surprised myself by finding that the "splurge" item wasn't as satisfying as it used to be. For example, I made chocolate chip cookies for my brother to take back to college with him and a snuck a bite of cookie dough - which has always been a favorite of mine - and it was very unsatisfying. The strawberries sitting on the counter next to the cookie dough tasted amazing though. That was definitely an "ah ha" moment and it happened within 2 weeks of me eliminating animal products!

Back to my initial posting..these next two weeks I'm focusing on adding in more leafy greens and trying some different grains - like quinoa. Also trying to cut back on the carb items that aren't from whole plant sources. I've been looking for spaghetti squash (which one of you suggested as well) but the stores around me have been out :( The first stage of my transitioning has been remarkably easy compared to what I was expecting. I haven't missed meat, eggs or milk - but have missed cheeses and yogurt a bit. So all things considered I think I'm doing pretty well, but I know I have a way to go before I'm 100% there. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!! :)
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just saw this on Facebook and thought of you. :smile:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/03/colcannon-puffs.html
  • caffeinekandie
    Options

i love cheese - but do you think that the cauli puree mixed 50:50 with a normal cheese sauce would work in lieu of a full bechamel?

I think it should. I've also made it with a mix of cauliflower and vegan cheese, though I like to leave it more chunky. Less real lasagna like but I don't tend to enjoy puréed food.
  • pb3693
    Options
    Oh that is perfect! I love potatoes and have all of the ingredients already in my kitchen :) I will definitely be trying these, thanks for the share Carla!
  • pb3693
    Options
    By the way, I found a great blog veganasiwanttobe.blogspot.com that has some awesome recipes that are simple to make too :) So far I've only tried her bread, but I have a list of "to try" because it all sounds amazing.
  • daniellebfit
    daniellebfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options

1 frozen banana

I love PB2. Will have to try the spinach
  • bunjijk
    bunjijk Posts: 44
    Options
    Too much good info here.... BUMP!
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I went vegan recently, and I really find that cutting out the meat substitutes (you know - the artificial burgers and stuff) helped me achieve my protein goals much easier, along with other nutrients by leaving room for more nutrient-dense foods.

As for greens lol, I LOVE sautéed kale with a little salt and pepper. Load up greens in wraps, throw in a side salad, literally stick them in every meal. Get creative. Everything makes a great pesto! Add spinach to shakes. Puree cauliflower with leeks and a few potatoes.
  • pb3693
    Options
    Great suggestion on turning greens into a tasty pesto! Provides a yummy topping and sneaks the greens in - woo hoo. I have been trying to add sauteed or steamed kale to as much as possible. It's been great in soups and I even tossed a little on top of my sweet potato tonight. Actually now that I write that, I remember that there is a recipe on Pinterest for sweet potatoes topped with white beans and kale. I have it saved on my boards http://pinterest.com/vixy412
  • pb3693
    Options

1 frozen banana

I love PB2. Will have to try the spinach

I just discovered PB2 at the health food store this weekend. Sounds like I may have to pick some of it up to give it a try. Has anyone tried the version with chocolate in it?
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies, you can't taste the greens and you get get your full servings in in one snack. So easy! Besides that I'll try to have veggie sandwiches, wraps, etc, things where it makes sense to have the core of the meal be veggies.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My goal is to transition into being a vegetarian by the end of this year. I eat a salad everyday, which is not what you're looking for.

However, when I want something different I usually roast veggies in the oven, or steam them. My current addiction is to add smoked paprika, and roasted garlic to everything. It is instantly delicious!

I'm going to be trying cauliflower as a potato substitute this week, and I've heard it's quite good!

I have also seen a lot of people substitute zucchini or spaghetti squash for noodles in pasta.