Yoga and religion, fellow Christians advise please.

Options
2»

Replies

• filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Fellow Christian here - pissed-off Catholic, actually. I think a lot of what my religion has to say is total crap. But I'm a big fan of the J-man (who, incidentally, was not a Catholic . . .).

From an antrhopoligical perspective, religion evolved as a way for humans to understand the world and their place in it. I believe that God (a power beyond our understanding) created the universe, but he didn't create religion. That's us humans. And humans have a lot of good ideas, and a lot of bad ones, too, and they never, ever get along.

A common tactic in this secular age is to ignore variances in "sect" and focus on the common ideals you'll find in all faiths: love, tolerance, respect for others, trust, forgiveness, standing up for what you believe in.

That said, I would prefer that my yoga instructors leave time for silent meditation, rather than chanting. If praying to other deities seriously concerns you, consider that your fellow yoga-goers are each paying a fee to be in that class; it is a capitalist enterprise, not a religious experience.

I try not to bring things back to the commandments, because generally those are useless arguments; one person will always interpret something different, and we have no way of knowing which interpretation is right . . .I just think of it as, "Is this hurting anyone else? Is this hurting me?" If you must bring it back to the commandments, "You shall have no other gods before me." And clearly, you're totally devoted to your God, so I don't see how you could possibly have anything to feel guilty about.

Watch out for people who try to cast doubt on what's in your heart. They're bad news.
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    I completely agree with mehughes... I grew up as a christian... and I tried to be strong in the religion... but I have since realized that being strong in a religion is not what I think that God intended... I am now strong in faith, devotion, and love to God who is great and wonderful and mighty... that being said I no longer attend church... I mean no offense to anyone here but too often the people I would meet at church where proclaiming the faith on sunday but by monday morning they where gossiping and beating their wife and children and drinking and fighting and doing all manner of things that the day before they condemned other people for doing... now I know that not everyone is this way and I am not meaning to pass judgement on them... which brings me to my point of God is the only one that is qualified to judge... not you or me or your friend at church... God alone knows your heart and your intentions... and God alone is the one you will have to answer to in the end... so until that time comes that I stand in his presence to be judged I intend to do what I feel is right in my heart and pray to God to lead my feet down the path that he chose for me... I would suggest that this is a good plan for most people to follow and keep this in mind when faced with future dillemas such as this

Fellow Child Of God,
    Jenn

P.S. I would also get some literature on yoga both history and how it's used now... never go into something blind... I am not saying to quit yoga which I love... I am saying to learn what it is about and understand that it refers to God... knowledge is the only way to defend yourself against people who speak without knowledge... another big problem in churches... but I digress
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    To go back to the original thread subject... heres a little twist to it...

I am an atheist. i do not being in any god (hope i am not going to get trown out of mfp !!) and i would not attend any church, synagog, mosque or anything else but i have visited countless amount of them and always have admire the architecture of medieval/baroque churches. that doesnt make me a believer. therefor i would have no problems attending any yoga class no matter what the meaning of it. yoga wont make you a believer or that religion, just as my visiting churches wont make me a catholic or christian either.

As an atheist i had to go though tons of criticism from a lot of people, be proud of what you believe in. even though i felt in minority, i still though that i would say out loud what i believe in (or rather not believe in .llol) if your views are different then your aquintance from church .. it does not mean that what you believe in is wrong, its different.. thats all. she should have respected it. now .. isnt repect part of what you believe in anyways ?

good luck,
    may
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    God loves for you to do Yoga because it is something that calms the mind, body and soul, better equiping you to do good will towards others. This works with Christianity and/or any other religion out there that's purpose is to make people be the best they can be, beleive in moral values, see the good in others, and all in all, strive to make others feel good too.
    Anyone who tells you that for some reason yoga is a sin, obviously does not have an open mind.
    And remember God's grace :)
  • Bert
    Bert Posts: 27
    Options
    Bamboo,
    Good for you that your are thinking this through so carefully. I don't do yoga, but here's a thought for you. Many sacred hymns are Christian lyrics put to "bar tunes" of long ago. It was a way to help those who knew the bar tunes to focus on Christ instead.

It seems to me that you have found a modern version. I have avoided taking yoga for the reasons you explain. I know the stretching aspect would be good for me. (I see what it has done for my mother.) Now I know what to ask about if I decide to join a class.

You still have the dilemma of what to do about the "weaker sister". Keep praying about it.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have always been thought....best not to discuss religion and politics. It gets too personal
    I talked to a lady that I work for. She used to be a nun. She is very strong in her belief in god. I asked her about this and she sad that.....
    A lot of yoga is breathing and very little chanting. But, the belief in your heart is all you need. You are around people who believe differently than you everyday of the week and you don't leave them. She has been to classes that chant and she says her own prayers during that time. She does not chant with them. She is not sure what they are chanting for sure, but she said alot of time they are chanting quotes, Famous Quotes from budda. She said also that yoga is great for the mind body and the spirit that you give it.
    By all means if you are not comfortable don't go...but if you enjoyed it add the way it made you feel, you say your prayers and follow your beliefs.
    I am a catholic and I have been to mormon, christian, baptist events, and I know in my heart what I believe, and I do not let that keep me from it. If I don't like what they are saying, I listen and wait until it is over. It does not bother me. Each person has the right to believe in what they want.

may_marie-your not going to get kicked out. It is a free world and we have the right to believe how we want.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm with "ican" in that that was my upbringing never, never "religion and politics". But, since you asked for advice from other people who consider themselves Christians, here goes.

I go to yoga, and do videos that have chanting in them. While meditating, I chose a bible verse (my favorite is "Create in me a clean heart O God, and renew a right spirit within me") and use it as my "mantra". I think God wants us to be strong, flexible and well relaxed. Yoga does those things.

Be blessed.:flowerforyou: