Going in Reverse

jmmsunshine
jmmsunshine Posts: 11 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I joined 2 weeks ago - i've been consistently excited because I've never tracked what I've eaten like this. I'm seeing how to budget for foods I want and really working hard at staying w/in my range. In the last 2 weeks, I've only had 4 days over my net calorie goal - which I thought was pretty good.

I've given up pop, sugars (for the most part - seriously, seriously cut down), reduced fat, reduced portions, balanced out carbs/fat/protein, virtually eliminated emotional snacking and nighttime snacking, increased fruits and veggies... I am actually regularly feeling hungry at this point. All good stuff, right??

So far I've GAINED 2 1/2 lbs and 1/4 inch overall.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm really at a loss... how is this happening?????

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    You didn't mention any changes in activity. If you start working out, you can end up holding on to more water.

Is it near your TOM? That's usually a good excuse.

Also, how is your salt intake?
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    I am actually regularly feeling hungry at this point. All good stuff, right??

You seem to be doing all the right things. Well done you! However, it's not good to be feeling hungry. I think your body may be just adjusting to all these healthy foods and reductiong of pop and sugar etc. Are you drinking enough water? and as Kitty said are you exercising as well?

It's not good to feel hungry. You should find some low cal, bulky snacks that can make you feel full - maybe popcorn, bananas, plain yoghurt...

Good luck! You are off to a great start and you will see results if you carry on like this!
  • ads7327
    ads7327 Posts: 13
    I agree with the comment about your TOM. When I joined my TOM was the following week and it seemed no matter what I did that week I had zero lost. The next week I had a 2lb lost. Hang in there, your body is probably trying to figure out what you are doing to it.
  • jmmsunshine
    jmmsunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement - I'm just very frusterated! It's not TOM - that was 2 wks ago, and I always allow for ~3 lbs difference for that weigh in without getting down. And my sodium intake is less since I've cut out the pop!

The first week my focus was just getting used to this - writing everything down, measuring, making changes - gained 2 lbs.

Last week my focus was really on calories - eating within my calorie goals - I had 3 days where I was actually under! For the week cumulative, I was over ~700 calories and gained half pound. But a lb of fat is 3500, so something just doesn't add up.

This week I'm going to focus on my water intake, and exercising 3 - 4 times this week. Hopefully that will make a change. If it doesn't, the next week will be TOM and I fear I'm going to become very discouraged.

I provide breastfeeding support to local moms and we always say to work on one thing at a time and that it can take up to 6 weeks for breastfeeding to become established. It's a challenge for most women. So, I'm trying to apply the same principles here - that it may take up to 6 weeks before I can manage the eating right, the exercise, and the water and let my body adapt to what changes I'm making before I start seeing progress.

*sigh* I've got to do this - I simply have to, failure is not an option. I'm tired of being this way and if I don't do it now, it will never be easier. I see my mom in her 70's now and the challenges she's had. I don't want that to be my future. I'm only 38, and 70 seems like a lifetime away, but when I was 20, 38 seemed like a lifetime away and it's already here. No time like the present, right?

Thanks again, I can use all the encouragement and support I can get!!!!
This discussion has been closed.