Sodium

Options
This is my down fall when dieting. I always go over my sodium intake. I do however lose weight but I am just worried about it. I know this system says how much I should have in sodium but should I beat myself for always going over?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Sodium means you will retain water weight.. If it doesn't bother you medically and you are ok with water weight then it doesn't' matter much. I watch my salt, because I don't want water weight and I don't like how salt laden foods taste. but that's just a preference.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. I started lowering my sodium by buying lower sodium versions of my foods (especially broths and canned beans). I'm now taking it a step further and I am trying buying dried beans and using them instead of canned.

I just don't like that I retain water when I eat my bean soups and things; its frustrating to see big fluctuations on the scale. Also, sodium can cause migraines for me, so I need to watch it anyway. I have low blood pressure, but I don't want to risk it ending up high because of my sodium intake.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do you have issues with blood pressure or kidneys? if not then i wouldnt worry about sodium too much, especially if you are regularly exercising and sweating.

keep in mind i'm not a doctor either :laugh:
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is my down fall when dieting. I always go over my sodium intake. I do however lose weight but I am just worried about it. I know this system says how much I should have in sodium but should I beat myself for always going over?

How many milligrams are you over on an average day?

I was forced to watch my sodium intake when I got high blood pressure. Now it is second nature, and most days (except today, of course) I am at around 1500 total. It helps if you don't eat out. Restaurants add salt to EVERYTHING. And eat the low sodium version of anything you possibly can. Avoid pickles (this was devastating to me, but I'm over it.) Within a few days, I got used to eating less sodium, and now I don't like sodium on foods. I never thought this would happen as I was a self-proclaimed "salt addict". Oh, and my migraines all but disappeared when I reduced my sodium intake.