Are high fat diets truly health ?

Options
124»

Replies

• annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe a lot of saturated far is good in any sense.

The healthiest diet in everything I have read is a plant based diet with low fat, no processed foods,no sugar,no white flour etc..
    People often use the paleo diet as an excuse to eat loads of meat which most reasonable people know is not good for you. In actuality at this period in history we would mostly have survived on nuts, berries and bark with very occasional wild animals and not copious amounts of farm animals!
    For people who being up the Inuits as examples of people who eat copious amounts of game being healthy... "Inuit Greenlanders, who historically have had limited access to fruits and vegetables, have the worst longevity statistics in North America. Research from the past and present shows that they die on the average about 10 years younger and have a higher rate of cancer than the overall Canadian population.……We now know that greatly increasing the consumption of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and raw nuts and seeds (and greatly decreasing the consumption of animal products) offers profound increased longevity potential, due in large part to broad symphony of life-extending phytochemical nutrients that a vegetable-based diet contains. By taking advantage of the year-round availability of high-quality plant foods, we have a unique opportunity to live both healthier and longer than ever before in human history".

Check out Dr. Greger's facinating videos on line for info on fats, plant based diets and optimum health :)http://nutritionfacts.org/

I have not eaten any meat or dairy for most of my life and finally stopped eating fish last year and am very healthy. MUCH healthier than most people my age! My blood work is impeccable. The fats I eat are avocados, nuts, a little olive oil and small amounts of coconut oil but not much.
    Yes, everyone is different but any diets that proclaim that loads of meat and fat are GOOD are brainwashing people into ending up with heart attacks later in life...just like Dr. Aitkins ;)
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    YES. Better revisit those "studies". Are you reading studies or published reports from government or health organizations? Ancel Keys research has had the greatest impact on what we are told is healthy, even though he cherry picked his data to show a link between heart disease and saturated fat, when there actually is none. In the past and to this day, any researcher who challenges, or disproves, Keys' fat hypothesis risks disappearing into oblivion. The processed food industry has every interest in keeping us scared of saturated fat and the health/pharmaceutical industry has every interest in keeping us sick.

Is it logical that the food we are adapted to eat for a million years or so would cause disease? If so, why do modern hunter/gatherers show no "diseases of civilization" until they start eating sugar, refined flours, etc.?

Just one example: Inuit had no heart disease, diabetes, cancer, tooth decay, autoimmune disorders until they started eating what the rest of us are eating. Their natural diet is animal based, very high in fat, with a few berries and sea vegetables (depends on region) for a brief period. Ancel Keys, and some other researchers, ignored the research of the Inuit (along with larger populations where the data disproved his hypothesis). Perhaps he thought they weren't quite human or were somehow genetically distinct from the rest of us (they are not).

I tire of arguing this issue repeatedly on MFP. If you really were well read on this subject, you would no longer fear natural fats. The only results of a very high fat diet (quality matters!) are: the resolution/prevention of disease, a healthy body weight, a happy mind, and crazy energy. Being sick, sad, and fat is NOT normal. Check out the research of Dr. Weston Price; that's a good place to start your research.

^^^^This
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

The healthiest diet in everything I have read is a plant based diet with low fat, no processed foods,no sugar,no white flour etc..
    People often use the paleo diet as an excuse to eat loads of meat which most reasonable people know is not good for you. In actuality at this period in history we would mostly have survived on nuts, berries and bark with very occasional wild animals and not copious amounts of farm animals!

Check out Dr. Greger's facinating videos on line for info on fats, plant based diets and optimum health :)http://nutritionfacts.org/

I have not eaten any meat or dairy for most of my life and finally stopped eating fish last year and am very healthy. MUCH healthier than most people my age! My blood work is impeccable. The fats I eat are avocados, nuts, a little olive oil and small amounts of coconut oil but not much.
    Yes, everyone is different but any diets that proclaim that loads of meat and fat are GOOD are brainwashing people into ending up with heart attacks later in life...just like Dr. Aitkins ;)

My son and I were both vegetarians and even vegans for many years. Around 20 years for me, and 13 or so for my son. We were both very ill eating that way.

Your story is nice, but you sound a bit ignorant about paleo/primal, vegetarianism, and Dr. Atkins. He didn't die of a heart attack. He slipped and fell, which led to bleeding in his brain.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't believe eating massive amounts of anything is good, period. Good job ignoring the total nutters in the thread--listen to the people in this thread who are saying paleo/primal does not necessarily mean low carb, or high fat, or low carb/high fat.

Paleo/primal principles are just meant to be a framework for one to find a way of eating that works best for them. They are not meant to be interpreted as a rigid set of rules that everyone should get on board with, regardless of what anyone tells you.

If you're curious, read the books, listen to podcasts, read articles, read some more, etc. Do your own research far away from MFP...for obvious reasons. :wink:
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

My son and I were both vegetarians and even vegans for many years. Around 20 years for me, and 13 or so for my son. We were both very ill eating that way.

Your story is nice, but you sound a bit ignorant about paleo/primal, vegetarianism, and Dr. Atkins. He didn't die of a heart attack. He slipped and fell, which led to bleeding in his brain.

Sorry...LOLOLOLOL!!! They opened him up and he had heart disease...thanks for calling ME ignorant! "The latest twist is the publication in The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday of details from Dr. Atkins's confidential medical report. The report concludes that Dr. Atkins, 72, had a history of heart attack and congestive heart failure and notes that he weighed 258 pounds at death".
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Sorry...LOLOLOLOL!!! They opened him up and he had heart disease...thanks for calling ME ignorant! "The latest twist is the publication in The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday of details from Dr. Atkins's confidential medical report. The report concludes that Dr. Atkins, 72, had a history of heart attack and congestive heart failure and notes that he weighed 258 pounds at death".

which means he was eating above his TDEE, thus he would have been fat regardless of what diet he advocated. :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't believe eating massive amounts of anything is good, period. Good job ignoring the total nutters in the thread--listen to the people in this thread who are saying paleo/primal does not necessarily mean low carb, or high fat, or low carb/high fat.

Paleo/primal principles are just meant to be a framework for one to find a way of eating that works best for them. They are not meant to be interpreted as a rigid set of rules that everyone should get on board with, regardless of what anyone tells you.

If you're curious, read the books, listen to podcasts, read articles, read some more, etc. Do your own research far away from MFP...for obvious reasons. :wink:

exactly. for instance, I eat high carb primal. all the carbs coming from fruit or veggies or nuts. in my book, the "eat all the meat you can" idea is a bastardization of what paleo is supposed to be. regardless of diet, you still shouldn't be eating more than .7-1g of protein per pound of LBM.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Among more primitive humans, it is likely that the fruit that is plentiful at the end of summer (in temperate climates) helped them to add fat for the long winters, when they would be forced to switch to a game-based diet along with whatever stored grain and dried fruit they were able to ration out. They would get very lean too, if the winter stretched out unusually long. Today, Western humans have access to food, and especially sugar as a source of fructose, the year round. The effect is likely that we are constantly "storing up" for the "winter". And "winter" never comes.

There's a great chapter entitled The New Science of Aging in Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge.

"In a paradox that you absolutely have to understand, endless calories and lack of exercise signal your body that you're heading into a famine that you may well not survive, and in response, your body and brain head into a low-grade form of depression." But continues, "Ironically, in nature, depression is normal. It's a critical survival strategy."

The writer, Henry Lodge, then gets specific on the human hibernation of once upon a time. "So, winter comes to the tundra. As the months drag on, you wear down to skin and bone. The fat you built up over the fall steadily melts off as you battle cold and famine. You are locked in a slow race with death as you wait for spring.

What is hard for us to grasp today is that this was a regular, normal part of our human experience, and that depression-as-ultimate-defense lies deep within our bones."