Exercise for beginners

Options
Hello all!

I'm sure this has been posted a billion times, but I couldn't find anything on the topic recently...

I am currently not working out... at all.... I know its horrible!

But A) I'm finding it SO hard to get back into an exercise routine, once I start getting into it, I'll be fine, but the first 2 weeks are the hardest for me.

and B) I dont know what exercise to do... Theres so much out there its overwhelming, and I feel like I am not strong enough to do much of the awesome things out there.

I have a gym membership but often when I used to go I'd do the treadmill and some crunches but thats about it.

So what I'm wondering is how to get started - how to I increase my strength with out dying of muscle soreness everyday (I know it may be impossible, but ya cant blame me for asking) How to I transition into working out 3-5 times per week from nothing?

I'm just having a hard time getting started.... any advice?

Replies

• EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting started in the past before too. What I found that helped me was the 30 Day Shred. I just kept coming back to it and now I am almost done with the 30 days.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Walk. Walk. Walk. Walk. Then walk some more. Just do it everyday and increase distance, speed and vary terrain.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump. I would like to know, too!
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out for 20 years lol. Did P90X first month was brutal. That was July 2012. About to start Round 3!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12771-steve-s-team-fit-vegas
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hi. Try performing exercises that incorporate the 7 primal movements: pull, push, lunge, squat, gait, twist, and bend. You'll be especially fit by becoming proficient in these movements.

A few obvious examples are pull-ups, push-ups, walking lunges, air squats, walking/running/sprinting, wide-stance alternating toe touches. You can spend a lot of time getting good at these basic exercises.

At some point, you may want to incorporate barbell exercises, like deadlifts, squats, bench press, and overhead press.

You could sit on Youtube all day long watching videos of this stuff.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Try different classes your gym has and see what you like. If they don't have classes, see if a PT can show you the weights and teach you proper form and add in some weights. The key is to find something you enjoy and those first 2 weeks won't be hard. Open your mind, take some risks and you'll be on your way!
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    c25k running plan! :)
  • Carmetta3
    Carmetta3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Hilary,

I was just like you, a beginner trying to find a good workout that I could do and that I enjoy without killing myself and that I could complete. So, a friend of mine suggested walking, I thought BORING!!!! So, a co-worker suggested Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. I bought one from Walmart for about $10.00 and let me tell you, I LOVE her workouts, they are simple, I really sweat and they are fun. You can also find a few of her walks on youtube for free. I have about 5 of her dvd's now. Start out with just one mile then keep going. I hope this helps... Ohh, I also found some of my old Richard Simmons dvd's which are great for beginners and super fun.

Happy Sweating :)

Carmetta
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Picking something you like to do helps you stick with it.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi. Try performing exercises that incorporate the 7 primal movements: pull, push, lunge, squat, gait, twist, and bend. You'll be especially fit by becoming proficient in these movements.

Thanks!!
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great the gyms are offering it and wii has it to
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    take a zumba class in your area, its very inexpensive $6 a class.
  • ParkerH47
    Options
    Thanks everyone! some really great replies! I agree that I should do something I enjoy, I love walking in the forest by my house, but it is still to cold/muddy/icy for that yet.

I've looked into a personal trainer, but they are way too expensive for me. I checked at my gym over 7000$$ for a year long pt. That is just not doable for me, though it would be my preferred method...

My boss is also a fitness lover, and he is trying to get me to do beachbody stuff, but I feel like it would be too intense for a beginner...
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I stated out using EA Sports Active 2 in our Wii. It's also available for other systems. Walking is great exercise and time to think or review the day. Gradually increase your distance, grades & speed.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    first start by devoting 30 minutes a day 6 days a week to do something. strength train 3 days a week (compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, pull ups, push ups, over head press, bench press, rows), cardio the other 3 days a week.

once you get into the habit you can start creating some fitness goals which will help you stay committed to working out. once you get used to 30 minutes a day add another 15.

eta : muscle soreness at first is to be expected, but it'll go away after a week or so
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    When I first started I couldn't even walk, standing for more than 30 seconds was in itself hard enough.. So I had my doctor write me a script for aquatic therapy and used water displacement to be able to stand long enough to begin exercising.. I literally walked from one side of the pool to the other.. and everyday I went back I would add just alittle bit more... babysteps but over time those steps kept adding up until I am where I am today.... So any activity even walking to start is a good thing and just keep at it and like you said once you are in the groove then you will be just fine.... Best of Luck....
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi I have walked in your shoes and it gets easier.

For me

I got a personal trainer to work with once per week (this is pricy but gives accountability) often a trial lesson for free might be available at your gym at least try to get programme drawn up for you.
    Try to progress gradually and increase your daily activity /brisk walking
    Consider youtube workouts at home.
    wii fit and other fitness wii or similar can be good starting out too

Plan plan plan so you have no excuses -schedule your workouts
    Aim for 3 workouts that you do rather than 4 or 5 that you skip.
    Work out what you enjoy and what your goals are.

Force yourself to go - I told my self I would go to the gym and if once I warmed up I still didn't feel like it I could leave (of course once I warmed up I always continued). It takes a while to build a habit.
    Remember it gets easier as your fitness improves especially recovery time.

Good luck you can do this
  • acbabbitt
    acbabbitt Posts: 50
    Options
    Oh, I don't know that you want an entire year with a personal trainer.

I would find some one (with a professional certification) and ask if you would be able to pay-as-you-go.

One to three sessions might be all you need for the first weeks/months.

Ask if they can help you with an exercise plan (cardio + strength training) and just go from there.

Good luck!
  • ParkerH47
    Options
    I want to reply to everyone but I dont have the time right now, but THANKS and congratulations on all your individual successes:) they are as motivating as anything else out there :)
  • ParkerH47
    Options
    take a zumba class in your area, its very inexpensive $6 a class.

What if I have ZERO rhythm/dance ability...sure people say that...but seriously i have no coordination at all.... still doable?