Coffee

Options
I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do, I drink it black. So I'm having a cup as I type this, before heading out to the Zoo for a day of extended walking lol.

Every black coffee I find in the database says it's only 2 calories a cup?????

This cannot be right???

I don't have the can,because when I bought it, I just put it in a canister and tossed the can.. So I can't check the can..

I'm going google...

Replies

• lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Well google says 0-2 calories.. checked multiple sites.. and all this time I thought coffee was the devil..
  • rschwa
    rschwa Posts: 27
    Options
    Black coffee has essentially no calories.
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Calories aren't really the problem with coffee, especially if you drink it black. The problem is partly from the caffeine. It dehydrates you, making you retain water, and therefore adding to the water weight and bloating. A cup of coffee a day isn't bad. But for every cup of caffeinated beverage you drink, you should drink an extra 8oz of water to counter it.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's just beans soaked in water so yeah, it's pretty tame calorie-wise...until you blend in sugar, full-fat milk, whipped cream, caramel, in a 20oz cup - then it's meal!
  • rschwa
    Options
    Calories aren't really the problem with coffee, especially if you drink it black. The problem is partly from the caffeine. It dehydrates you, making you retain water, and therefore adding to the water weight and bloating. A cup of coffee a day isn't bad. But for every cup of caffeinated beverage you drink, you should drink an extra 8oz of water to counter it.
    That is, I'm afraid, what they call an "old wives' tale". There have been several recent studies that say that the caffeine content of coffees and teas has no effect at all on their ability to hydrate your body.
    Of course, drinking cup after cup all day long isn't particularly good for you - any herbal product consumed to excess can be bad, but the whole 'caffeine dehydrates you' thing is baloney. I count my 3-4 cups/day toward my water consumption.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    AH ha.. and that'swhy it makes me so thirsty.. lol.. I thoguht I was just weird, that a drink made me thirsty.. lol..Thank you.. I drink on average 100-120 oz of water a day anyways.. No wonder I'm always thirsty, I eat the power bar gummies that have caffine in them to keep me going through out the day..
    Thank you for educating me.. I'm going to try to cut out some caffine
  • rschwa
    Options
    -sigh-
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    RSCHWA is correct. We use to be told to limit coffee (even black) because of the caffeine and to drink extra water if you do drink coffee. I have always been a black coffee drinker and the only other thing I drink is water. I have not upped my water since my lifestyle change and I am losing 1-2 lbs. every week. I do not feel bloated or anything as another poster said.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Hmmm... both points sound pretty valid.. Guess I'll just drink my usual water, and keep my coffee rare
    That is, I'm afraid, what they call an "old wives' tale". There have been several recent studies that say that the caffeine content of coffees and teas has no effect at all on their ability to hydrate your body.
    Of course, drinking cup after cup all day long isn't particularly good for you - any herbal product consumed to excess can be bad, but the whole 'caffeine dehydrates you' thing is baloney. I count my 3-4 cups/day toward my water consumption.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :drinker: There are benefits to drinking coffee, too.

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

As in everything--moderation is key.:drinker:
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It's just beans soaked in water so yeah, it's pretty tame calorie-wise...until you blend in sugar, full-fat milk, whipped cream, caramel, in a 20oz cup - then it's meal!

Then it's yummy! Which is why I take caffeine pills instead! I NEED the caffeine but can't stand coffee unless it's made like a dessert!
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for the correction! I've been wondering about that, since i drink about 4 8oz cups of coffee a day. I'm going to start counting those as water cups, Yay! Unfortunately, i can't drink black coffee, but i've cut back on the massive amounts of flavored creamer i was using, and now i have 2 tbs of nonfat hazlenut per cup.:drinker:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    AH ha.. and that's why it makes me so thirsty.. lol.. I thought I was just weird, that a drink made me thirsty.. lol..Thank you.. I drink on average 100-120 oz of water a day anyways.. No wonder I'm always thirsty, I eat the power bar gummies that have caffine in them to keep me going through out the day..

You could be excessively thirsty due to the fact that you are drinking so much water. When you're body knows it's going to be fed and watered it doesn't create as much storage. I drink a ton of water and my husband hardly drinks any.... I'm thirsty all the time where he isn't nearly as thirsty.