Bike Ride!!!

Options
pg3ibew
pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
The weather was nice in NYC for the first time since the bride and I purchased BRANDY DANDY new bikes. So, after the gym, we took a nice hour long ride.

It was the first time we got to ride. We loved it.

Replies

• pg3ibew
    Options
    I guess no one cares about riding bikes. O well.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Ha! I so love to ride bikes.

My wife and I purchased a couple of road bikes about two weeks ago and took them on a nice little 10 mile ride today. Blew me away how much easier it was to keep speed on those things versus our mountain bikes. Love love love those things. Quick way to burn around 700 calories as well.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like riding my bike so much that I sold my car and use it exclusively as transportation. So, yes, plenty if us like riding our bikes. :smile:
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Ha! I so love to ride bikes.

My wife and I purchased a couple of road bikes about two weeks ago and took them on a nice little 10 mile ride today. Blew me away how much easier it was to keep speed on those things versus our mountain bikes. Love love love those things. Quick way to burn around 700 calories as well.

How long did a 10 mile ride take? We just rode around the neighborhood for about an hour. I have no idea how far we rode. It did get kind of chilly after about 45 minutes. Temps hit 50 today.

We need to buy a few things for longer rides. Glasses for the wind in your face. I also think I need some sort of back pack to carry a spare tube, mini pump, little tool for the chain and stuff.

What do you think? Do you carry those things with you?
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I like riding my bike so much that I sold my car and use it exclusively as transportation. So, yes, plenty if us like riding our bikes. :smile:

WOW!!!! I ain't gettin' rid of the car. LOL.
  • msrad
    msrad Posts: 1
    Options
    bike newbie here but have my first ride on the 16th. aside from spinning and using the stationary trainer, i'm excited to put 26 miles under my belt!
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the weather in NY was fabulous. My hubby and I were actually thinking about renting bikes but then walked for 16 km :)
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Oh yes, the weather in NY was fabulous. My hubby and I were actually thinking about renting bikes but then walked for 16 km :)

It was nice to gt out for the ride. We have been walking around inside the mall the last couple months because the weather ouside has been so dreary.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I ride my stationary in the winter, but as winter warms up, i go to the roads. Looking forward to the wind in the hair, bugs in the face and sore calves. Wahoo! congrats on the bikes! Bike shorts and gloves a must!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I love my bike! I used to ride forty to fifty km on a weekend a few years back. I haven't been on my bike for a while because it irritates my shoulder. I also have a kayak that I love; I sit in it while my husband rows:)
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I also have a kayak that I love; I sit in it while my husband rows:)

HAHAHA!!!!
  • LeldaW
    LeldaW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike is my passion! Hope you end up loving it as much as I do--such a great way to exercise! I prefer to ride in a rural setting with just one partner--no group rides. We have a stationary bike set up for the too-cold-to-ride outside days or snowy days but it's not quite the same! Be careful, wear your helmut, follow the rules of the road and have a great time!
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love my bike! I used to ride forty to fifty km on a weekend a few years back. I haven't been on my bike for a while because it irritates my shoulder. I also have a kayak that I love; I sit in it while my husband rows:)

I bet you that you make your husband open your car door and buy you flowers and all that other crap too?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

I bet you that you make your husband open your car door and buy you flowers and all that other crap too?

As a matter of fact I do panther man! Now go to bed and hush!
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee biking! I'm jealous your weather was nice enough! It's snowy and stormy here in Iowa and I really don't want to bike in it..even though I'm dying to!! To original poster --- you should get a speedometer for your bike! They are incredibly accurate if you buy a nice brand and install it right! :) Mine is a Sigma (around 30 dollars) and I love it. Can't wait for a good 3 hour bike ride when the weather is nice!
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I loveeeee biking! I'm jealous your weather was nice enough! It's snowy and stormy here in Iowa and I really don't want to bike in it..even though I'm dying to!! To original poster --- you should get a speedometer for your bike! They are incredibly accurate if you buy a nice brand and install it right! :) Mine is a Sigma (around 30 dollars) and I love it. Can't wait for a good 3 hour bike ride when the weather is nice!

Thanks, Looking it up now.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options

How long did a 10 mile ride take? We just rode around the neighborhood for about an hour. I have no idea how far we rode. It did get kind of chilly after about 45 minutes. Temps hit 50 today.

We need to buy a few things for longer rides. Glasses for the wind in your face. I also think I need some sort of back pack to carry a spare tube, mini pump, little tool for the chain and stuff.

We weren't going all that fast, so it was about 50 minutes of actual riding (we took a break at the half way point because my wife's head was aching).

I'm a bit of a CamelBak fiend. My wife and I both have the Mules (2L water resevoir plus plenty of room for gear). We carry one to two spare tubes, an inflation system (CO2-cartridge based, actually), a tire patch kit, and I prefer to have a set of glasses to wear. Always better to be over prepared than under. I might look into carrying an extra tire. /dunno
  • pg3ibew
    Options

We weren't going all that fast, so it was about 50 minutes of actual riding (we took a break at the half way point because my wife's head was aching).

I'm a bit of a CamelBak fiend. My wife and I both have the Mules (2L water resevoir plus plenty of room for gear). We carry one to two spare tubes, an inflation system (CO2-cartridge based, actually), a tire patch kit, and I prefer to have a set of glasses to wear. Always better to be over prepared than under. I might look into carrying an extra tire. /dunno

I was looking into the CamelBak as well. Same with the tubes. Wasn't sure if I should get the CO2 or a small pump.
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love riding bikes. My goal is a 100 mile ride this summer. My furthest ride so far is 55 miles. . I was going to ride today after work but it was raining and I wont ride in the rain. It rains a lot here :(
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I absolutely love riding bikes. My goal is a 100 mile ride this summer. My furthest ride so far is 55 miles. . I was going to ride today after work but it was raining and I wont ride in the rain. It rains a lot here :(

This is going to be our first season of riding. We are looking forward to all that comes along with it.