Exercising before bed?

Options
Will exercising before bed keep me awake longer or will it tire me out and help me get to sleep faster?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    That tends to be an individual thing. See what works for you.
    I was talking to another woman at swimming the other night (it was a late swim 9-10) and she was saying how she'll be awake for another couple of hours now. I could barely make it home. Swimming makes me really sleepy.
    I never have a problem sleeping after any exercise.
  • keegalie
    keegalie Posts: 82
    Options
    I'll see how it goes, thanks!
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it definitely is an individual thing. For me, I sleep better if I do my workouts in the last couple hours before bed. Some people love doing it in the mornings. I hope you figure it out. :)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I won't exercise at least two hours before bed. I need time to wind down a little bit before I head to bed and if I work out then go straight to bed, it's not going to work for me.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Never seems to phase me, then again, I can down a cup of coffe and go to sleep. Lol.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Never seems to phase me, then again, I can down a cup of coffe and go to sleep. Lol.

Is it decaf coffee that you drink? Haha.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If I exercise at night I tend to be wide awake for 3 or 4 hours after so it is def a no-no if I want to get any sleep... That even includes yoga lol but I'm also a horrendous sleeper to begin with
  • keegalie
    keegalie Posts: 82
    Options
    Yeah I always have a hard time sleeping anyways so I'll try it out and see, thanks everyone : )
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I usually need an hour or two (at least) after exercise to fall asleep. My energy is way too high.

HOWEVER... Sometimes I do basic stretches before bed wake up feeling better.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Due to my work schedule flip flopping, I always end up working out an hour before going to bed. After a warm shower I have no trouble falling asleep in less than 10 minutes.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Will exercising before bed keep me awake longer or will it tire me out and help me get to sleep faster?

Well, that is really up to the person. I get energized working out so it would keep me up. usually takes another hour or so to settle.
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    I definitely fare better in the sleep department when I get my workouts in the morning. I hope you find a schedule that works for you!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    try it!
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I find that working out makes me uber pumped and ridiculously hyper. So I try not to do it before bed. Though I will do some yoga before bed. stretching helps me sleep.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I try to exhaust myself when I workout. By the time I get to the shower I can barely stand. I fall into bed after that. ZZZZZZ
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think if it is immediately before showering and bed, it may keep you awake longer but if it is a couple of hours before it could help you rest... if it is pretty strenuous. Then again, as some said, it is relatively individualistic. Try it.. if it don't work for you, change it ... best wishes on your journey.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Definitely something you will have to experiment on your own with. It usually takes me a few hours to simmer down after a workout.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the only block of time I have during the week. I ride my stationary bike while I watch TV in my BR with the lights dimmed low. I have no trouble-- well, no more than usual-- sleeping after it. In fact it's become such a habit, I feel like something's missing if I don't do it.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry about the necro-bumping, but the thread was my same question. However, what I am concerned about is the build up of lactic acid or some other thing I barely understand inhibiting the repair and growth of my muscles as I just lie there. When I have time to exercise after work, I like to walk it out or do light stretches through the rest of the evening. When I run out of time, I do my 15-20 minute AMRAP, and then with much trepidation, close my eyes not knowing the chemistry that is now at play...
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Ha, this is me as well!

I've tried the whole getting up in the morning to work out...yeah, doesn't work for me. But working out at night is perfect for me. My husband does better in the late afternoon before dinner.