Shin splints?!

Options
I'm contemplating signing up for a 5k in June. I'm not a runner, but am trying it out (again). I'm on week 2 of a couch25k thing and my shins are killing me. Could it be because I'm too heavy to run? How can I make it stop?

Replies

• JediMomof3
    JediMomof3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband has this also. He is not running but walking instead. Unfortunately his go day by day and doesn't seem to matter the shoes, inserts, or stride he does. He ices them at night and puts menthol rub on them. The doc. told him to rest them, but he seems to get them all the time. I don't have the answer but would be curious for any tips also.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I use to get those, too, when I was heavier. You are NOT to heavy to run! Basically, you aren't doing the stretches you need to satisfy your shins. I started doing certain stretches every time before I run and I've never had problems since.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/get-over-it-shin-pain

Also, if you increase your speed/intensity too soon, you are more likely to experience shin splints. If you run with a toe strike you're also more inclined to shin splints. Try running with a mid-foot strike. Take smaller steps in your stride and try to pace yourself!

Keep moving! Good luck!
  • GreenStars
    GreenStars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also had shin splints when I first started the C25K program....I'm on Week 6 and don't have them anymore. Keep going!

For the first couple of weeks, I would always ice my shins after a run and that seemed to help.
  • hugthefish
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The encouragment always helps :)