Closet Full of NSVs

Options
Csengure
Csengure Posts: 40 Member
Hi folks. I have let this out somewhere because I'm pretty excited. I have dropped a total of 55 pounds so far; 4 pre-MFP and the rest dutifully logged here. At the -30 point, I went through my closet and got rid of a bunch of clothes that no longer fit. Not all of the things that were too big, though. I got rid of the ugly, "This isn't really *me*, but it fits, and at this size I can't afford to be picky" clothes. Some of the ones on the cusp -- the nice ones, the ones I actually felt decent in -- I kept those because lord, it was hard as a size 18 to find things that were even moderately stylish and not matronly or tent-like. When I found things I liked, I tended to wear them into the ground.

This pile is the last of my big girl stuff, and I'm getting it out of the house tomorrow:

a3bbf5ec-b557-4018-bee9-338c4ed977d5_zpse5f67fa7.jpg

I felt like my closet was pretty barren after this slash and burn but really, everything in there fits. Nothing is too tight or uncomfortable. Everything was chosen because I liked it, not because it represented the best of a bunch of equally ugly choices. And to really bolster my self esteem, I tried on a vintage suit that I inherited from my great-grandmother. I was named after this thin, birdlike woman and have never been able to fit into any of her things as an adult. That suit fit, too. I was a bit incredulous. No vanity sizing in the 1940s! I love vintage things but knew better than to even try to wear anything like that.

I kept a lone pair of big pants so that I can try them on and have a good laugh when I'm feeling down. At one point they were my "I'm feeling svelte today!" pants. I put them on and they were so baggy you couldn't even tell there was a person inside them. Straight up clown pants.

So for anyone like me who struggles to see weight loss in the mirror, or in pictures, try going through clothes. It was the only way my brain would accept that I've shrunk because I know full well everything in my closet didn't get bigger.

Replies

• JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have lost 59 pounds and know exactly what you are talking about! I have several boxes of clothes that I no longer fit in:) It was such a great feeling to go through them and purge!!!! Good Job! Good Luck to you:)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Yay! I have a large basket of last summer's clothes that I can't wait to go through. I will be gleefully laughing at them. Love the feeling!:drinker:
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That's so great! I did some "spring closet cleaning" and found myself in a similar situation. It's so great to get foods of the past to make room for the future! :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I agree that is the best feeling--better even than seeing the scale go down. I started a size 18, but had a closet full of 14s and 16s b/c that is where I spent most of my adult life. Purging my closet of those big-girl clothes was the best feeling ever. Now my 14s are starting to get loose, and I'm looking forward to doing some real clothes shopping when I'm finally solidly into the size 12s (I have a few things in that size, but I'm not quite there).

You were smart to keep one big pair--I wish I'd done that.

Congrats again!!:drinker:
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Excellent! That is such a wonderful feeling! Great job, woman!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!