down....making choices is hard!

Options
I feel like I've heard it all...but I still can't change!
I not only had an awful day but I had three awful days! How do I epect to lose any weight if I continue to eat crap! Yesterday I think I only ate carbs...no point in logging it!
I guess I need prayer to help me be strong enough to resist temptations that I'm going to face in everyday living! There will be junk in the teacher's lounge. There will be desserts that my husband wants to make or that people give us. It's my choice to say no...why can't I do it knowing I have a goal to get to! I hate to be so depressing but that's kind of how eating bad makes me feel. Tastes great for the moment but makes me upset at myself.

Replies

• mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have found this to be the toughest part of losing weight! And sadly there is no magic pill or cure to help you over come it. You will begin to make better choices the stronger your will to lose becomes. Granted, even then you will still slip. BUT, once your will is stronger you won't slip for three day - it'll only be maybe one meal. And when that happens it's not as difficult to undo the damage done.

Prayer changes things so if you are a Christian I advise you ask God to remove this from you and to help you realize when temptation is getting the best of you. GOOD LUCK!
  • lecarter
    lecarter Posts: 15
    Options
    making changes is hard. I understand the "bad" days where you end up eating too many desserts, or all carbs or whatever. I reccommend logging those days anyway, and add a note relflecting on it. if you make yourself accountable for those days and then move on, I have found it is easier to move on the next day because you are not trying to hide those less than perfect days. Good luck with your journey!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    First, what is your goal? More importantly, why is it your goal?

Answer 'em and remind yourself of them every time you get tempted and don't want to give in. Remember though you can have what you want with some self control. You don't have to cut everything out that you like, just have less of it.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Stop hitting yourself over the head -- it doesn't help and only makes your head hurt... :wink:

Everyone has down days -- and weeks even. I just got off a 4 day migrain. :grumble: Did I pay close attention to what I ate? NO. I ate what sounded good -- which included a fair amount of M&Ms and dishes of Bryers Ice Cream (& not the low fat or no sugar kind either.) Did I log it in? You bet. I just finished - it is pretty? Not really, but it was where I needed to be at that time. :ohwell:

Drastic change will not help you succeed. Make smaller changes that work with every day living FOR YOU. I now always ask myself -- WHY am I eating? Hungry? Bored? Stressed? Feeding a headache? Is it a valid reason to eat? Do I even really like what is presented? (Sorry Teacher's lounges food choices are to me like any office kitchen -- scary. Where did this come from? How old is it REALLY?) My husband loves to make cakes. Do I endulge? -- Yes, with a wedge piece1/4" wide at the back. This is a small change -- he is happy because I had some of his cake. I am happy, I had a small indulgence. MY trade off has been a slightly slower weight loss -- but since I am in this for the long haul, I know I will get there. And I am.

Being healthy is not just a goal -- it is a journey and it happens one step at a time...sometimes it seems like a "pilgram's walk" (two steps forward and one back) but you will get there! Believe in yourself. You can do it!-- one step at a time. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Making choices IS hard! But even though you are eating crap - I can't help but notice that you mentioned that there was no point in logging it in. That isn't true. Sometimes it isn't enough to know just that you are eating terrible food - sometimes it's best to be 100% honest in what you eat, in terms of calories, fat, cholesterol and unhealthy sugars. If you don't already know what your cholesterol levels, etc are - I would take this time to make an appt to my family doc and get those checked out.

If it were me feeling this low...I think I'd just prefer to hit rock bottom. That way the other way to go is up :) For some people it isn't enough to just want to loose the weight. You may need to see that the weight itself is causing other problems and unnecessary risk factors that are present because of what we put in our mouths.

On a psychosocial note: are you even enjoying your food? If not....why are you eating it? Possibly try and keep a diary of how you feel before and after you are tempted...even if you do endulge. Record how it made you feel while you were eating it and afterwards. Maybe then you could trend when and why you overeat. If you find a root cause to the overeating it may help you avoid it.

I'm sorry you are having such a horrible time getting started. But I feel like something else other than the diet needs to be fixed here :) You can do it - but change rarely happens overnight.
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    there is a neat website that mails you something daily called devotions for dieters. some good ideas. good luck, i have the same problem, looks good, tastes great, why not? then enjoy some salty chips. ugh and right before bed. god, i don't need these, help me overcome. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    instead i should pray and drink a huge glass of water. it is the most difficult thing in the world. we KNOW what to do, we just choose NOT to. i am just eternally optomistic and believe one day i will actually lose some weight.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    kathymurphy
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Saying no is hard, but seriously...the first few times I did it I was like "man this stinks, that chocolate looks amazing!" ... but when the scale moved and I knew it was because I said "no" those times... I won't say that it gets easy to turn down those tastey treats but I will say that your goals become more important than them.

Seeing what I ate and how I needed to change it, made a big difference for me! Log everyday, bad or good day so that you will know what you need to change where you can make suttle changed until you feel confident to make big ones!

You're going to succeed, believe in yourself!

"Strength does not come from winning
    Your struggles develop your strength.
    When you go through hardship
    and decide not to surrender,
    that is strength."

there is a neat website that mails you something daily called devotions for dieters. some good ideas. good luck, i have the same problem, looks good, tastes great, why not? then enjoy some salty chips. ugh and right before bed. god, i don't need these, help me overcome. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    instead i should pray and drink a huge glass of water. it is the most difficult thing in the world. we KNOW what to do, we just choose NOT to. i am just eternally optomistic and believe one day i will actually lose some weight.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    kathymurphy

Hey do you know the website link?
  • littlesuzieq
    Options
  • hair2dew
    hair2dew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself!! We all have our bad days! Just pick yourself up off the floor, wipe yourself off and get back on! Just remember that goal and why you want to reach that goal. Best of luck to you! :)
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You CAN change. We all CAN. I know it's hard, especially when our eating habits have been ingrained in us for years. You just need to retrain your mind and retooling your lifestyle will follow. It's not fun to have to scrutinize everything that you put into your mouth, but that's what we all have to do at first to get to our ultimate goals. After some time of incorporating these new habits into your lifestyle, you will get used to it - reaching for that apple or yogurt as opposed to the bag of chips. But, yes, it will take some time. And, no one is saying that you have to give up all the foods that you enjoy. I think when we feel that we are depriving ourselves, that is when we tend to go back to our old habits. We inadvertently derail ourselves by being too strict. So, if you feel like indulging a bit(reasonably that is) go ahead. But, yes, you need to find the strength to limit yourself. You don't need to go off on a 'bender' just because you ate poorly for a meal, snack, or even a day. Recognize that you indulged, figure out what you need to do to 'make up for it', and move on. I've only been on MFP for two weeks and I've already had a few dietary stumbles, but I'm not going to let it stop me. I'm still learning as I go along on this journey, but I am determined to meet my goal. If anything, don't let yourself get into a vicious cycle: Eating right, exercising- eating poorly-getting depressed-more eating poorly....and back around again. I'm sure you get tired of hearing this but it really is 'mind over matter'. With fortitude of mind, you can overcome these setbacks and achieve your goals. Don't beat yourself up. Take control -don't let food control you.
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give to you is log it. I was doing the same thing as you when i first started. If i messed up, I would think there was no point to log it. Now I hold myself accountable for my bad days, just as i do for my good days. It gives me the boost to keep going and do better next time. The guilt that you will feel from the red will be a motivator as well as the reflection for the day. Take a look at my diary. Basically every weekend for the last month has been red. That doesn't mean I gave up though...i seriously even log the little things...like 10 peanut butter m&ms or half a cupcake or a tsp of shredded cheese. This way, I know what I ate, i see what i could have gone without, and how much it effects me.
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. My mom always tells me I'm too hard on myself. I know it's something I need to work on. I will be logging ALL The food I ate on Friday, Saturday and Sunday this afternoon. I did workout....HARD on all those days so I probably just ate the calories that I burned but I try not to do that all the time.
    Goals that I have are to lose weight before getting pregnant again. I don't want to get pregnant at 155 but more like 142. I know it sounds silly to lose weight to get pregnant but I'm a little more health conscious this time so I'm hoping third time around I'll gain less than 35! I gained 45 with first, 39 with second...I want to keep the trend going! It makes it much the process of losing so much shorter when when there's not so much! I had almost lost all the weight from my second last year (four pounds away) but then I got a really bad infection in my knee. Ended up in hospital and not walking for 3 weeks. Then I trained for the marathon without watching what I ate. I gained lots of muscle and lots of weight but didn't lose the fat because of my food!
    I'm just trying to really get the fat off my belly and other places....

Anyways, thanks to you all. I will be logging in! I already feel better!