PALEO: Cavemen diet? W.rong

Options

Replies

• Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's a good article and I've read others like it. I remember "feeling better" from eating the Fit for Life Diet so many years ago and that one too was put in the trash bin by real scientists. If paleo is working for you, then at least consider that it may because it has you paying more attention to the quality of what you put in your mouth, rather than it being because of you are cutting out grains. legumes, and dairy.

The quality of the food I have eaten for the last 12 years has always been excellent. Surely if it makes someone feel better then that's what matters? If somebody eats the exact same diet first with grains and then removes grains and feels better how would that be viewed?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's a good article and I've read others like it. I remember "feeling better" from eating the Fit for Life Diet so many years ago and that one too was put in the trash bin by real scientists. If paleo is working for you, then at least consider that it may because it has you paying more attention to the quality of what you put in your mouth, rather than it being because of you are cutting out grains. legumes, and dairy.

The quality of the food I have eaten for the last 12 years has always been excellent. Surely if it makes someone feel better then that's what matters? If somebody eats the exact same diet first with grains and then removes grains and feels better how would that be viewed?

I'm all for experimenting a little with your own diet to see what works, but why limit yourself to that specific formulation if there is no actual science supporting it? If you are going to experiment honestly with your own diet then you should be very carefully tracking it along with your getting regular physicals, and be always willing to admit that your study group of 1 is too small to allow you to generalize. Good luck with your own health.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

I'm all for experimenting a little with your own diet to see what works, but why limit yourself to that specific formulation if there is no actual science supporting it? If you are going to experiment honestly with your own diet then you should be very carefully tracking it along with your getting regular physicals, and be always willing to admit that your study group of 1 is too small to allow you to generalize. Good luck with your own health.

Thank you, health is the exact reason I'm doing it. You don't know my story so don't be so judgemental.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Quite rightfully so but I'd be interested in what you have read that leads you to believe it has no scientific reasoning? What books and online references etc have you read?

Books are secondary resources that are generally quite subjective, and online resources as a rule have little credibility (depending on the source, of course). Primary literature (i.e., peer-reviewed scientific articles published in journals) are the best source of credible, objective information. Do you know of any such articles that support a Paleo diet? (I'll be honest, I haven't looked - I'm just wondering what other people are basing their dietary choices on).
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Quite an interesting read. And I love the term "paleofantasy". :laugh:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In my view, the entire debate is stupid and misses the point. I don't care about the macros of humans during times of plenty when they were frolicking through the forests eating blackberries and waving at bunny rabbits. I want to know what diet natural selection chose when we didn't have a choice, during famines and blights. That's indisputable: the ketogenic diet.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Thank you, health is the exact reason I'm doing it. You don't know my story so don't be so judgemental.

Pointing out the lack of scientific support is not being judgmental. As I said before, good luck with your health.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Pointing out the lack of scientific support is not being judgmental. As I said before, good luck with your health.

Of course it's being judgemental. Your saying that my diet of protein, veg, fruit and fats is going to need monitoring and that I need luck?
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    A. I totally agree with ^^^ this is a lifestyle that works with my digestive system and my training. I know how I feel after I eat Paleo and when I chose to eat junk and I'd rather eat Paleo!

B. Seriously folks, this was not a hard article to read!!! I am a bit astonished that people don't want to take the time to read this educational article but are willing to post if the person above them is hot or not....

C. Don't knock the lifestyle until you try it, it is pretty awesome to eat healthy, feel healthy and train healthy!

D. Best of luck friends!

Any diet that forces you to think through what you're putting in your body is likely to have positive effects. If paleo works for you then great. Personally I'd never consider because I'm very dubious about the quality of meat that most of us can afford to buy but I don't feel the need to knock how other people want to eat.

I so agree with B. above. About 3minutes worth of easy reading and a few basic comprehension skills and you'd discover the article has virtually nothing to say about the benefits or otherwise of eating paleo. The author is debunking the claims the theory is based on. That is not the same thing.

C. is a bit odd. I eat healthy but not paleo. The words are not synonymous. As reasoning humans we really don't need to try everything in order to have an opinion on it.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Of course it's being judgemental. Your saying that my diet of protein, veg, fruit and fats is going to need monitoring and that I need luck?

Not sure but I think he's saying correlation =/= causation....AND LOL @ your sample size.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    How much is membership to the Paleo cult?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In my view, the entire debate is stupid and misses the point. I don't care about the macros of humans during times of plenty when they were frolicking through the forests eating blackberries and waving at bunny rabbits. I want to know what diet natural selection chose when we didn't have a choice, during famines and blights. That's indisputable: the ketogenic diet.

Luckily there's no famine right now!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Whether you agree with eating Paleo/Primal/Caveman or whatever you want to call it. I know it works for me. I feel better and am so much happier when I eat Paleo. If you don't like it, agree with it, than don't eat it. PERIOD.

My other question is: How you actually tried it or are you just paste and copying an article that you googled slamming Paleo?

She isn't slamming paleo, she is saying that the logic used to found it isn't correct.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    All i need to do is take one look at IronPhoenix and know shes right.

Shes smoking hot
    Your smoking rope

Another day of sound logic and reasoning skills being demonstrated in the forums.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    @Wendy

Voluntary calorie restriction that places a person in a calorie deficit has the same biochemical and physiological effect. Consequently, the diet that natural selection chose as the most metabolically efficient, where the brain is fueled endogenously, might be a good starting point for someone with a clue.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Whether you agree with eating Paleo/Primal/Caveman or whatever you want to call it. I know it works for me. I feel better and am so much happier when I eat Paleo. If you don't like it, agree with it, than don't eat it. PERIOD.

My other question is: How you actually tried it or are you just paste and copying an article that you googled slamming Paleo?

She isn't slamming paleo, she is saying that the logic used to found it isn't correct.

I agree she isn't necessarily "slamming paleo." However, the article was pretty weak on balance. It made about two meaningful points.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    All i need to do is take one look at IronPhoenix and know shes right.

Shes smoking hot
    Your smoking rope
    Thinking..you're doing it wrong.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Not sure but I think he's saying correlation =/= causation....AND LOL @ your sample size.

I didn't "LOL" at all. The point is simply that if someone is going to experiment with her diet then she should make make sure that she is carefully logging it and tracking her health. A physical helps with the latter and is a far more objective indicator than simply saying she feels better or worse. That said, she would also need to make sure she controls for other variables such as exercise and stress levels. And yes, if anyone does this then that is a sample size of one, which makes it rather difficult, if not impossible, to apply the results to others.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

I didn't "LOL" at all. The point is simply that if someone is going to experiment with her diet then she should make make sure that she is carefully logging it and tracking her health. A physical helps with the latter and is a far more objective indicator than simply saying she feels better or worse. That said, she would also need to make sure she controls for other variables such as exercise and stress levels. And yes, if anyone does this then that is a sample size of one, which makes it rather difficult, if not impossible, to apply the results to others.

I don't understand, what is it about eating protein, veg, fruit and fats that you consider needs monitoring?? It's also been stated by many that its what works for your one body...I.e only needs to be for sample size of one- yourself. If pizza and beer works for you then all good but it doesn't work for me

In all honesty this isn't far off how I've eaten for years, I became intolerant to many foods over the last twelve years, I don't find it difficult to eat this way. It's not really an experiment unless you think the last twelve years of my life have been so.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Quite rightfully so but I'd be interested in what you have read that leads you to believe it has no scientific reasoning? What books and online references etc have you read?

Books are secondary resources that are generally quite subjective, and online resources as a rule have little credibility (depending on the source, of course). Primary literature (i.e., peer-reviewed scientific articles published in journals) are the best source of credible, objective information. Do you know of any such articles that support a Paleo diet? (I'll be honest, I haven't looked - I'm just wondering what other people are basing their dietary choices on).

I haven't come across any, but then I must admit that I haven't been digging too hard for any. I suppose you could honestly say that my bias against the radical exclusion of food groups has made it so this isn't something that really piques my interest.