What is Calorie Deficit?

Options

Replies

• chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    are you drinking lots of water girlfriend? Annnndd make your diary public so we can actually give you feedback! And also be patient you just started! I lost 2lbs my first week, but I have a huge sweet tooth, and cutting out a muffin and a couple of cookies every day really made a difference initially!
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    Okay So I've figured it out. My tdee is around 2400, so I need to have less than that. For the last week ive been trying to stay eating around 1200-1400, and going to to the gym ontop of that. I havn't even lost a pound in the last 7 days that ive been eating that, and working out. What am I do wrong?

did you weight all of your food?

And weight loss isn't linear so don't expect the scale to go down every day. And take measurements/pics for a more complete picture.

I need to weigh my food?? It's most;y just fruits and vegis and a chicken breast every now and then along with a couple rice cakes and peanutbutter lol.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    i found a tdee calculator online and im ganna say mine is around 2400? So thats how many calories I would need to have to stay at the same weight? im currently trying to take in around 1200-1400 while going to the gym everyday

Don't forget to eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories.

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    and this..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

:bigsmile:

If she is using the TDEE method she should not be eating them back.
    But what if it's ice cream?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Negative calories so that's OK...but only it it's Chunky Monkey :wink:

lol no talk about icecream :((
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Okay So I've figured it out. My tdee is around 2400, so I need to have less than that. For the last week ive been trying to stay eating around 1200-1400, and going to to the gym ontop of that. I havn't even lost a pound in the last 7 days that ive been eating that, and working out. What am I do wrong?

And weight loss isn't linear so don't expect the scale to go down every day. And take measurements/pics for a more complete picture.

I need to weigh my food?? It's most;y just fruits and vegis and a chicken breast every now and then along with a couple rice cakes and peanutbutter lol.

Weighing is ideal. How are you measuring food?
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    im currently trying to take in around 1200-1400 while going to the gym everyday

Not enough calories!
    Eat at a 20% deficit from your tdee!!!!! .. for safe, sufficient and sustainable weight loss that won't screw up your metabolism. SERIOUSLY!! please listen!

If your tdee is 2400, eat around 1900 calories (20% deficit) and don't eat back exercise calories, as exercise is included in your tdee.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Peanut butter is really calorie dense and can make quite a big difference. This video is an eye opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

ETA: obviously you do not have to get totally OTT about it and weigh your rice cakes, but anything that is not pre-portioned should be weighed, or if liquid, measured.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    i found a tdee calculator online and im ganna say mine is around 2400? So thats how many calories I would need to have to stay at the same weight? im currently trying to take in around 1200-1400 while going to the gym everyday

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    and this..

You can't eat ice cream when you're cutting. You can't you can't you can't!!!1!!!11!1!!eleventy!!!1!

*throws away the wrapper from his peanut butter and chocolate ice cream sandwich, looks at his food diary....yep, still in a deficit*

To the OP - read this post by Sara, she outlines the process for setting your calorie level very thoroughly:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options

sounds like a lot of sugar and carbs and fats and not enough protein. protein is my new god I now worship, I've never made it past a 'plateau' until I realized the joys of eating 'cleaner' which for me is more protein, less fats, and limiting carbs.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I'm not really measuring it? Didn't think im eating big enough portions to actually need to measure. Like an apple for breakfast, a scoop of peanutbutter on rice cake, small chicken breast and such, a cup of mixed fresh fruit and a couple cups of mixed vegies with my chicken at dinner lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm not really measuring it? Didn't think im eating big enough portions to actually need to measure. Like an apple for breakfast, a scoop of peanutbutter on rice cake, small chicken breast and such, a cup of mixed fresh fruit and a couple cups of mixed vegies with my chicken at dinner lol

In your case, if that is all you are eating, then it should not be taking you into a surplus as you have such a big deficit. While I would encourage you to eat more, the stall will be due to water weight masking 'real' weight loss.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options

Read this...
    and this..

You can't eat ice cream when you're cutting. You can't you can't you can't!!!1!!!11!1!!eleventy!!!1!

*throws away the wrapper from his peanut butter and chocolate ice cream sandwich, looks at his food diary....yep, still in a deficit*

To the OP - read this post by Sara, she outlines the process for setting your calorie level very thoroughly:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    thats so mean lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you aren't measuring you really have no idea how much you are really eating. You could be eating far less or much more than you believe you are.
    Scales are pretty cheap and easy. Definitely worth the investment.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    The scale sometimes lies. There are more ways to measure success other than scale weight.

Are you getting stronger?

Do you feel better?

Are you losing inches? Take measurements asap with a tape measure. There are sites online to show you how to measure body parts properly so you are sure to measure in the same place each time. Ie: To measure the thigh, you might make sure it is 10 inches above the knee and document that.

Are you losing fat? One way is with calipers. Get a fat test. Many gyms offer it free if you ask.

How are your clothes fitting? Last year I started lifting again. I was consistent for one month. I upped my cardio too. For thirty days I didn't lose one lb of scale weight. I was so depressed I wanted to give up. But then I put on a shirt which used to pull in the arms and it fit comfortably. It also used to pull at the waist and it was not pulling. I had lost inches.

I then put the scales in the trunk of the car and didn't obsess with it for a while.

SCALES LIE! OR rather they don't always tell the whole story.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options

well then start measuring!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    The scale sometimes lies. There are more ways to measure success other than scale weight.

Do you feel better?

Are you losing inches? Take measurements asap with a tape measure. There are sites online to show you how to measure body parts properly so you are sure to measure in the same place each time. Ie: To measure the thigh, you might make sure it is 10 inches above the knee and document that.

Are you losing fat? One way is with calipers. Get a fat test. Many gyms offer it free if you ask.

How are your clothes fitting? Last year I started lifting again. I was consistent for one month. I upped my cardio too. For thirty days I didn't lose one lb of scale weight. I was so depressed I wanted to give up. But then I put on a shirt which used to pull in the arms and it fit comfortably. It also used to pull at the waist and it was not pulling. I had lost inches.

I then put the scale in the trunk of the car and didn't obsess with it for a while.

Here's a link to "Why Scales Lie"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie

IDEA Fitness member
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I Have a scale so i'll start measuring everything..

I don't feel like my clothes are getting any loser, lol. I don't know but it hard to tell because I'm being so hard on myself and I HATE the way I look right now. From having 2 kids its left my stomach looking nasty and I feel like its never going to look good enough, it sucks! lol. My sister did say my legs looked a little thinner though, lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I Have a scale so i'll start measuring everything..

I don't feel like my clothes are getting any loser, lol. I don't know but it hard to tell because I'm being so hard on myself and I HATE the way I look right now. From having 2 kids its left my stomach looking nasty and I feel like its never going to look good enough, it sucks! lol. My sister did say my legs looked a little thinner though, lol.

Patience...hard I know.

Get yourself set up with a good plan. Get the right calorie target and macros for you, exercise, preferably get some resistance training in and trust the process. Reassess every month or so.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options

Do you feel better?

I then put the scale in the trunk of the car and didn't obsess with it for a while.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for the link, :) but in my case, the scaled would have to be off by 25 pounds lol. i wont be happy till my weight is in the 130s
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options

Do you feel better?

IDEA Fitness member
    This is a very good read. You should repost this in a thread, because it was made over a year ago and there are a lot of people who should probably see this. It's interesting.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

If you aren't measuring you really have no idea how much you are really eating. You could be eating far less or much more than you believe you are.
    Scales are pretty cheap and easy. Definitely worth the investment.
    this is the point i was making. You think you are at 1200 to 1400 but haven't measured everything and you are new to counting so it is likely that you are unsure about portion sizes. I'd recommend weighing for a bit to familiarise yourself with a portion. And as sara says, water weight is an issue for body weight fluctuations.