Day 1- No Smoking or Drinking

Doina_Smecicas
Doina_Smecicas Posts: 35 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Good Day everyone,

Here goes one of the biggest challenges I think I am about to enter. For me, smoking goes hand in hand with drinking.
For the past 10 years, I feel a vicious cycle has been leading my life. Smoke, drink and next day binge eat, then drepression kicks in, ok for a day or so, then it starts again. I have also realized the company you keep is truly a huge reflection on how you lead your life "adult monkey see monkey do".

I'm asking for a little moral support for my fellow mfp friends.....

Thank you

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Congrats on making connections and wanting to change! I'm pulling for you. I know you can do you it, if you really want it. :-) And think of all the money you will be saving!
  • sshultz
    sshultz Posts: 27 Member
    Good Day everyone,

Here goes one of the biggest challenges I think I am about to enter. For me, smoking goes hand in hand with drinking.
    For the past 10 years, I feel a vicious cycle has been leading my life. Smoke, drink and next day binge eat, then drepression kicks in, ok for a day or so, then it starts again. I have also realized the company you keep is truly a huge reflection on how you lead your life "adult monkey see monkey do".

I'm asking for a little moral support for my fellow mfp friends.....

Thank you

You have my full support. Just remember this, where the mind leads, the body will follow. Keep faith in yourself and what you need to do and you will be just fine.
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    You can absolutely make the change. How proud you must feel to have put it out there!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Been there with the over-drinking. I found out that mine was situational, or stress-related drinking. I only did it when I was lonely and sad. My friends drank, so I joined them. Now that I have stopped drinking, the few times I went out with drinkers, I just sat with my Diet soda and people-watched--it made me really glad I had stopped drinking.
    Exercise can help release endorphins, which help you feel good. Instead of engaging in an activity that makes you feel bad (hangover, price of drinks, regrets over what you might have said or done), exercise helps you lose weight, re-shape your body, and strengthen your heart.
    Who knows, the binge eating might be your current replacement for endorphins. Not drinking and starting or increasing exercising, might make you feel better and reduce your urge to binge.
    I can't comment on cigarettes, because I do not smoke.
    Best of luck and may you have positive thoughts during this healing process. Hugs, BJB
  • It's a tough one, but if you want it enough you can totally do it! Not only have you made a healthy choice mentally (keeping away from toxic situations) but you are going to be reaping the rewards of a healthy choice physically. I'm sure you already know the affects of smoking on the body- and drinking has it's own affects too. You're going to sleep better & feel better in the morning! You're going to lose some belly weight fast (where else would alcohol like to settle than in your belly?) And the overall result is going to make you feel amazing! But remember to treat yourself from time to time too! I let myself drink 1 night a week, so that I'm not depriving myself of some "fun". Yeah I feel like poo in the morning, but then I just go to the gym and sweat it out! And once it's incorporated into your daily routine, it only gets easier!

You can do it!! First 2 wks are the hardest, after that, you've got it! :smile:
  • jugsy
    jugsy Posts: 31 Member
    I know exactly what your talking about hun, i cut out all drink in the last 2 weeks i'm actually surprised on how easy it's been. I smoke too and i'm on a smoking cessation programme on one of he apps for the iphone and it's really working. I've found that throwing myself wholly into my healthy eating and weight loss makes things seem easier. Seeing the weight come off off is such a big motivator, i'm sure i'll have relapses, but if i can do it i know that you can. Good luck and keep in touch to let me know how ya doing.
    :happy:
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    I quit smoking over 5 years ago now. I used to smoke about 30 roll-ups a day. I went "cold-turkey" and I won't deny that it was hard. All I can say is the 1st 2 weeks are the hardest. If you can get through those 1st 2 weeks then you'll cope fine. It doesn't get better very quickly but you learn to avoid triggers like if you're walking down the street behind someone who's smoking, I used to slow down and let them get ahead so I couldn't smell it.

I did put on weight when I quit but I'm glad I still managed to quit. Now I'll concentrate on losing the weight!! I hope you succeed and wish you all the best of luck.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    This is SO great that you want to make such a positive change for yourself! You most certainly will not regret it. Getting healthy and making changes that will add years to your life is so important.

We're all here for ya! And I will be praying for you.
  • Glad you making that step :)

also glad you are being strong about it also :)

you are supported 100%
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    I'm proud of you for making this tough decision. I have struggled with the same issues. I think you're doing the right things by recognizing the cycles and situations that lead to the drinking and smoking. Also, like someone else said- good for you for putting this out there! It's hard to admit these kinds of things. Now you not only have some friends to encourage you and motivate you, but you have asked for accountability. Big steps! Let us know how things are going, and what else we can do to help!
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    You CAN do it!!
    I went from three packs a day to zip, if I can do it so can you.
    If you can get through the first week, you'll beat it. :flowerforyou:
  • drucole
    drucole Posts: 26 Member
    Artimizia,

I'm on day 100 of no smoking or drinking and I really don't miss it but it's a lifestyle change!

I was a daily drinker/smoker because you are right they go hand-in-hand. The first 2-3 weeks are definitely the hardest, but now it's really easy. I encourage you to replace that time of indulging with healthy habits so you don't put on weight, because I did the first month and now I'm down almost 40 pounds in 50 days!

And the added benefit is the amount of $$$money$$$ you save without realizing it...It's amazing!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    This is great!

I quit smoking on April 1st. So it's been about 3 weeks for me. At first I used that niccotene gum, but I hardly need it anymore. I haven't used it in several days. Don't be ashamed to use a crutch if you have to; anything is better than smoke in your lungs in my opinion.

Don't let anybody tell you that you will gain weight. I've LOST weight since I quit smoking!
    Just keep track of your calories, enter every single bit of food you eat on MFP, exercise a little each day if you can, and you will be fine. I walk on my treadmill or outside.

The second week was hard for me, harder than the first week. Actually it hasn't been as hard as I thought....not yet anyway!

Please let me know how you're doing, or any tips you have found etc. We can support each other.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • Doina_Smecicas
    Doina_Smecicas Posts: 35 Member
    Thank you so kindly to everyone for their thoughts and encouragment. Very dearly appreciated.

Day 2- Here I go.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
This discussion has been closed.