using TDEE -20% question

GC2B
GC2B Posts: 168 Member
In the last weeks I've re-calculated and upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 to be more in line with TDEE -20%.

Should I be eating workout calories burned? I did at 1200 because I was so hungry! But that was based on MFP goal calculator.

In fairness I've never burned crazy amounts, usually around the 250cal mark.
I'm taking in a lot of really good advice from MFP so I hope the questions are not annoying.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    When calculating the TDEE did you select the option that included exercise or the sedentary/desk job one?
  • GC2B
    I chose light activity as although I do at least 20minutes x4 on the cross trainer/elliptical at home I walk the school run each weekday and have a baby at home its not much is it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    I chose light activity as although I do at least 20minutes x4 on the cross trainer/elliptical at home I walk the school run each weekday and have a baby at home.
    Its not a great amount but thought it would class as lightly active.
    I'm eating at the same level - TDEE - 20% and I don't eat back my exercise cals as like you, I used lightly active when looking at exercise options. Be interesting to see what others have to say
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    If you have included the exercise in your activity level then no, don't eat back exercise calories. You'll see a lot of people log workouts at 1 calorie because they want to log the fact they've done it, but don't want to adjust their calorie goal.
  • GC2B
    Thanks, wont eat them back but will log as 1 so I can keep track.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    What is the TDEE? Is that the Activity level number? And what is the -20%? I'm confused on the whole calculation thing. My BMR is 1342 and my Activity level number is 2260. I put in all of my personal data and how much weight I wanted to loose and it say's I need to eat 1,200 cal per day. I've been eating around the 1,200 cal per day and exercising 5x week for 45 min - 1 1/2 hrs depending on if I'm taking classes or not. And I haven't lost anything.

I've been playing around with when I eat to see if that makes a difference. Normally I just have coffee before I go to the gym and then I wait until after my workout to eat my breakfast but starting last week I tried to have a little something (string cheese) before working out and then have the rest of my meal afterwards. What is working for you? Eating a little something before working out? Do you eat 3 meals a day or do you have 3 meals and a little snack in between? I've also been pushing the water - most day's I get 10-12 glasses in between what I drink at the gym and during the rest of the day.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    What is the TDEE? Is that the Activity level number? And what is the -20%? I'm confused on the whole calculation thing. My BMR is 1342 and my Activity level number is 2260. I put in all of my personal data and how much weight I wanted to loose and it say's I need to eat 1,200 cal per day. I've been eating around the 1,200 cal per day and exercising 5x week for 45 min - 1 1/2 hrs depending on if I'm taking classes or not. And I haven't lost anything.

I've been playing around with when I eat to see if that makes a difference. Normally I just have coffee before I go to the gym and then I wait until after my workout to eat my breakfast but starting last week I tried to have a little something (string cheese) before working out and then have the rest of my meal afterwards. What is working for you? Eating a little something before working out? Do you eat 3 meals a day or do you have 3 meals and a little snack in between? I've also been pushing the water - most day's I get 10-12 glasses in between what I drink at the gym and during the rest of the day.

TDEE - 20% for you would be 1808 calories, that's what you should be eating, TDEE is your total daily enerygy expenditure so you don't need to bother about exercise calories because they are included :flowerforyou:
  • queenbea77
    I think I've got the TDEE question straight - but I have another one if someone can help me I'd appreciate it.

For my daily summary for today it shows my allowed calories at 1,200 (which I now realize is wrong). I logged my food so far at 658 and my exercise of 310 which leaves me with 852 calories left to eat for the rest of the day. There is a "net number" of 348 - by the end of the day do I want that number to be as close to 500 as possible? And in theory if that number is around the 500 number each day then at the end of the week (for a total of 3,500) I should see a weight loss of 1 lb?

thanks!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    I set up my TDEE for my activity at my job only. As I spend a lot of time walking and busy. My TDEE is 2321 using Katch-McArdle method for figuring.

If I do a strength training or cardio extra on top of that amount then yes I do eat it back as my TDEE did not include that into my daily numbers. (as I go maybe twice a week)

You just need to make sure you picked the right activity level for you and go from there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    I think I've got the TDEE question straight - but I have another one if someone can help me I'd appreciate it.

For my daily summary for today it shows my allowed calories at 1,200 (which I now realize is wrong). I logged my food so far at 658 and my exercise of 310 which leaves me with 852 calories left to eat for the rest of the day. There is a "net number" of 348 - by the end of the day do I want that number to be as close to 500 as possible? And in theory if that number is around the 500 number each day then at the end of the week (for a total of 3,500) I should see a weight loss of 1 lb?

thanks!

Eat the 852. Eat until the bottom line on your Food Diary says 0.

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • queenbea77
    Thanks, hopefully it won't take long for me to tweek everything.