Good heart rate monitors?

Options

Replies

• 32thirtytwo
    Options
    The model I've seen that has a pedometer which you can translate into miles and tracks calories burned is the BodyMedia line. But, it doesn't track your heart rate. You hook it up to your computer and it connects to the BodyMedia website then it syncs the data from the armband.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar but was really unhappy with it. Got the Garmin Forerunner with the GPS and it is AWESOME.

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just because no one else has said it...

Scosche arm HRM: Good and bad. But in general, I'd say no. I got mine for Christmas this past year, 2012. From day one, it started acting up. Sometimes it drops/loses my pulse in the middle of a workout. Which wouldn't be so bad except on the iPad app that I use with it, my HR drops from the 150's to around 54. It makes the data from my workout skewed badly and ruins my avg HR, etc. After only 2 months the strap started to separate.. the velcro and band itself came apart and now I have to put the band on and try to lay the velcro out before adjusting the strap to my forearm.

I've been looking on the market for the Mio Active Connect (watch style, pedometer and all day HRM). Any suggestions from anyone on that style HRM?
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I purchased the Polar FT4 in January.

Sadly my experience is not that great. The transmitter will not work and Amazon won't help. Polar is non-responsive. It's like I just threw the money away. Doing a search on here you will find a couple threads of people having trouble with Polar and if you google it, it is a common problem.

Having said that I think it is true of most makes and models.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Did you remember to run water over the electrode area of the strap before you wore it? You must also store the transmitter not connected to the wear link strap or it drains the battery fast
  • kisses4dylan
    kisses4dylan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and then purchased the FT7. I changed to the FT7 because of its ability to show the zones you are working out in based on your heart rate such as Fat Burn, Fitness, Endurance (I think is the last one) Love Love Love Polar!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'll make you a deal on my slightly used Polar FT7 since I want to buy an FT80 now..
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and LOVE it! It's been great for me! Simple and easy to use. I DID have a Timex Ironman Triathlon (something like that lol) and it was good but omg SO complicated! It always took me forever just to set it up so I got this one. So glad I did!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,073 Member
    Options
    I have had the Garmin Forerunner 210 for about a month and absolutely love it. It does have a chest strap, which I was afraid would aggravate me, but I don't even notice it is there. The watch part isn't huge, which I love because I have really small wrists. It does all I want it to do...has GPS to help determine my mileage, gives pace and distance during the run, can program in intervals (and probably other things I haven't played with yet), calculates calories, has a foot pod to use if you run on the dreaded treadmill, and you can upload all of your data to Garmin connect and analyse your workout and share with others, if you wish.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've got a New Balance N4 and love it, although it's the only one I've ever had, so can't compare. :bigsmile: Well, I did start out with a watch-only model, but got frustrated with that pretty fast. :noway: Don't both if it doesn't have a chest strap.

I've had it over two years and it's worked great. Have had to changed batteries in both the watch & chest strap, but that's it!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Undergear is coming out with a new one sometime in March, that syncs to your phone via bluetooth. I do not have the link to it, but it really looks like the next generation. I think I going to get it when it comes out.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 that I love.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    For people in the UK I bought a Crivit one from Lidl for £12.99 last summer and have logged probably 1500 miles on a bike with it since then with no problems. They're now stocking (came in yesterday) a version with a built in pedometer for £15. Both of them use chest straps.

HRM really helped me to loose weight last year and I've been using it as a training tool since I stopped loosing weight and started building more strength and fitness too. Very good investment.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    I use the Wahoo BlueHR. It's a bluetooth HRM that connects to my iPhone. Not a bad investment at $80. It's a chest strap and the batter is very easy to change.

Good luck on your search!!
  • dale24105
    Options
    Ihave a Polar HFT7 that serves me well.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 that I love.

My cousin just got one the other day she loves it once she got used to it lol
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Did you remember to run water over the electrode area of the strap before you wore it? You must also store the transmitter not connected to the wear link strap or it drains the battery fast

Thank you. Yes. I read all the instructions. I read threads on MFP and on the internet about it. Watched YouTube demonstations and the Polar site for troubleshooting their HRM. The transmitter is a dud. It happens. I even used the gel.

I did call Amazon direct rather then email and explained it all to them, and they have agreed to waive their return policy and replace it for me which I thought was awesome customer service. :smile:
  • Bere4ever
    Bere4ever Posts: 188
    Options
    I have a polar ft4... Works awesome
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Polar RS300x. I love it!
  • dale24105
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that works very well.