Exercising, eating healthy, but STILL gaining weight??

Options
I've dropped a total of 8lbs so far just by eating a recommended amount of calories each day, so I thought when I added exercise it would help me lose more. I recently bought an elliptical which doubles as an exercise bike. I've been using it as a bike the past two days and have seen my weight go up...only by very little mind you, but still, up. Should I be worried, or is it muscle? I've heard muscle weighs more than fat.

Replies

• sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can retain water when you start new exercise. Weigh yourself once a week and don't worry about it
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. It's likely just a little water retention. No worries!
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're probably retaining water. I always retain water after exercise which is why I only weigh after my rest day. Weigh once per week after you've taken a day off from exercise.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    If you "recently" bought an elliptical, you haven't gained muscle yet. Takes a bit for that to happen. As others have posted, probably some water retention due to new stress on the body in the form of exercise.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    your weight can fluctuate anywhere between 2-5 pounds on a daily basis and is dependant upon a lot of factors such as time of day, what you've eaten (high sodium), what time of the month it is, etc. Like the above poster said, weigh yourself once a week, most people usually weigh first thing in the morning before you've eaten anything.

Even when you are spot on with eating and exercise, you may have day and weeks where your losses stall. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, it's just your body taking time to adjust. Don't panic. Give any and all changes you make at least a month (and usually closer to 6-8 weeks) before deciding it is or isn't for you.

It's unlikely that you've gained muscle already. Gaining muscle is a slow process, especially enough to make your weight change. Keep at it though!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It takes a calorie surplus and time to gain muscle. What is happening is that your muscles are retaining water for repair. It should top off and not go any higher (when I started lifting it was about 2-3 lbs). If it keeps creeping up then it may be a calorie issue, but for now I wouldn't worry.
  • LDiScipio
    LDiScipio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)