This is morely for women.

Options
So I have been losing weight, obviously, that is why we are on here! LOL. So far I have lost 19.2 lbs since October.

Last month my menstrual period came the week before I was supposed to have it and lasted through until when it was supposed to end originally. So it was around for at least a week and a half straight. This month came, and it barely came. I had one heavy time Saturday morning. The rest was a little spotty here and there.

(FYI I am on Loestrin fe 24 and diligently take it on time every night)

Has anyone else experience this with their menstrual period?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Changes in weight and an increase in physical activity can affect your menstrual cycle. If you are not new to any of this, though, I would probably just track what is going on with your period for a few months, and if it doesn't seem to be stabilizing, just let your doctor know what is going on, and see if they want you to come in. I wouldn't freak out about it or anything, but I would keep monitoring it and let your doctor know if it continues to be irregular. Good luck!
  • 0xbalthamosx0
    0xbalthamosx0 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm on microgryonum 30 ( spelt that wrong but you must get what i mean ) stay on it for 21 days, come on my period, for 7 days, then go back on.
    usually go on the 13th.
    last month i came on the 8th, then this week the 11th
    I rang the docs and they've said its 100% Weight changes, <3 no need to worry about it :) just keep an eye and if you notice anymore changes maybe ccontact your docs
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen to me when I first started on here. Make sure you are getting enough fats. That is sometimes the first thing women want to cut to lower calories. But a minimum of .35g per pound of body weight, making sure you are getting plenty of unsaturated fats, will help keep your hormone levels steady. Definitely talk to your doctor about it, but it's no reason to make a special appointment unless it continues to happen several times.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Mine came a week early this month too, but lasted the usual number of days. Not only can it be attributed to weight loss and increased exercise but, how old are you? I'm 35 and I know it's "early" but I have been having perimenopausal symptoms for about a year, including unpredictable periods (despite being on LoEstrin FE for the past 8 months). Age is always a consideration.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem for years - too frequent (every three weeks) and too long (lasting ten days) pretty much all the time. My hormones are pretty unbalanced - cortisol's through the roof, estrogen is low, testosterone too high. I've been put on the pill to regulate it, but it still manages to come early!

Get your hormones checked out if you haven't already.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I keep track of mine in a diary, and it starts on the 12th every time like clock work. If you have an irregular cycle you should consult with your Dr. It is likely that it's not anything serious. As others mentioned it could be any little thing like change in diet, a new medication, exercise routine, etc...or It could also be other things though, like a nutrient, vitamin or mineral deficiency.

It's best to have a professional pin point what it is so that it can be fixed, and / or properly explained.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have found that everytime I drop between 15-20 pounds my monthly will change slightly. Again, that is just me. My Dr said that for me it is the change in body/fat makeup and not to worry unless it doesn't turn around and get back on a normal schedule within 3-4 months.

If I were you, I would call your Dr to make sure... each person is a little different, and sometimes just hearing the Dr say it will make a big difference in how you feel about it too. I know I will ask a question of friends, but until the PROFESSIONAL tells me, it still weighs on me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't think a couple months is a good judgement of whether you're way off or not but as askeates said, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask just to put your mind at ease. When I first started, I had some fluctuations and they come on again once in a while if I've changed my workout schedule and/or lost enough to alter things.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is completely normal! It has happened to me too. The only time I would worry is if you were doing it the unhealthy way, were starving yourself and then there is the chance they would stop completely. But that is not the case, so no need to worry about that. :smile:
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I am 23 and I was born without a thyroid. I know my hormones are most likely out of whack. I do need to get my blood checked though.

Thank you so much though! :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It is pretty normal for large weight fluctuations to affect your cycle. Mine has gotten lighter and shorter as I lost weight. You can always call up your doctor and/or pharmacist if you are concerned, though!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Also, this may sound odd, but have you recently moved in with new female housmates, started a new job where you're close to the same women all day, gone on a longish vacation with girlfriends, or had a girl living in the same house as you (younger sister?) start her period? When they live in close proximity, women's periods tend to synchronise, strange but true. And it messes everyone up for a while before it settles down.

That's the reason harems frequently needed new additions, because otherwise all the wives would be off limits at the same time.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also, this may sound odd, but have you recently moved in with new female housmates, started a new job where you're close to the same women all day, gone on a longish vacation with girlfriends, or had a girl living in the same house as you (younger sister?) start her period? When they live in close proximity, women's periods tend to synchronise, strange but true. And it messes everyone up for a while before it settles down.

That's the reason harems frequently needed new additions, because otherwise all the wives would be off limits at the same time.

This doesn't sound strange at all! When my best friends and I were together everyday our cycles went right in a row. We knew when one of us started the next would be right behind it. But no, sadly that is not the case.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, haven't had a period in three years, and last month out of nowhere had a full blown one. Luckily I hadn't thrown away any of my supplies and it started at home. I'm waiting to see if I get another one this month, I've heard of people starting up again after not having it for a long time. I hope that's not me