Extremely Disappointed!

Options
1235»

Replies

• BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is why I only weigh in when I want to now, there are no "weekly" or "monthly" weigh ins anymore.

I try to measure and take progress pictures monthly, as well as go by how my clothes feel.

Also, I have learned to not give the numbers so much power. I'd rather be healthy, able to run long distances, and be truly happy with myself and my body, than to weigh a certain number or wear a certain pants size.

Hang in there, it sounds like you are truly making healthy choices, which is something to be proud of. All we have control over is the choices that we make today. We cannot control our sizes IMMEDIATELY but we can control our daily choices. And you are doing a fabulous job of that. Great going!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You're setting yourself up for failure with that attitude. You've lost 15 pounds overall and one pound this week? Fantastic! I know you want to get all of the weight off and it seems like it will never happen sometimes, but you're closer to that than you were a month ago. Enjoy your success.

Remember, every pound lost is one of these off your body:

1lb_fat.jpg
  • becka95
    becka95 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that I have to stop concentrating on the number on the scale and concentrate on how I feel, how my clothes fit and appreciate the change in my lifestyle.

I was recently diagnosed with a heart condition that I brought on myself from years of paying attention to the almighty number that came up on the scale. For over 15 years, I stuffed diet pills down my throat chased by energy drinks. This was back when diet pills were not a regulated as they are now. I stopped about 8 years ago, thinking that it was about time to start a healthy life style for my kids. Healthy food was not hard to incorporate into our diets but it's now a challenge to watch our portion sizes. I have always had the thought from weight watchers that if something was zero points, you could eat as much as you want. Soooo not the case.

The scale is just a number and not the only tool to measure your success. Having a great week and kicking butt at the same time is a great accomplishment, don't let the scale take that away from you!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I think that most of the folks on MFP have felt discouraged by the results on the scale. When you see that first 'sweet drop in weight', it is natural to think..."Wow! I am going to be _(goal number)_ pounds in no time at all." That first sudden loss of weight is common, as our bodies shred some excess water weight. Then, reality arrives with a painful thud.

I also lost 15 pounds in my first month. Then, I lost only 5 in the second month. I got discouraged and wanting to know..."What did I do wrong." Believe it or not, people told me to eat more. So I did and stopped losing altogether. I was upset and frustrated, until I had the chance to speak with my nutritionist who total me 'just go back to your original, food plan and daily calorie limit' (a number that some folks on MFP don't like). She reminded me that I set my goals and know what I am willing to do to reach them.

You and I both have a long way to go. It won't happen overnight, though I would love to wake up to my goal weight tomorrow morning. When I started in late November, I thought that 70 pounds was a huge challenge. It has taken me a few months to finally settle down and accept the small rewards of being faithful to my food plan. I have made some friends on MFP who care about me and my 'small successes'.

Now, I look to my mini goals. 235 pounds is my half way mark to 'Onederland'. When I weigh under 200 pounds I will be in 'Onederland'; and I will also get new knees, be able to give up my wheelchair and walk again without pain. I could stop at that point and stay in the high 100's, but I have a feeling that I will be inspired to lose a bit more.

For today, I am content to stay on my food plan, count my calories and take joy in every 'small success'...even the smallest weight loss, because I know that there will be weeks, when I won't lose even one pound. Just stay strong in your resolve, and the rewards will add up. Don't let the scale determine your mood.
  • EmilyLock
    EmilyLock Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Why not make yourself a Rewards box? Write lots of zero-calorie treats on pieces of paper and pick one at random whenever the scales don't go down.

Examples:

Long, luxurious bubble bath
    Ten minutes doing absolutely nothing
    Buy a Lottery ticket
    Sexy massage with oil by a loving volunteer!
    Get my nails done
    Go bowling
    A day off washing-up
    Try a new hair-style
    A drive in the country
    Play the machines at an amusement arcade
    Trip to the swimming pool
    One hour to relax and read a book

etc
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    sigh

i feel your pain

what do I do when Im not motivated?

I do it anyway.

being motivated doesnt help me burn more calories. It was never motivation that got me to the gym, ever. Turned out it was determination all along.

When I make myself a promise, i follow through because I believe I deserve to keep my integrity - with myself before I can give anyone else my word and feel the genuine weight and value of that promise.
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    So you're more than 10% to your goal, in only one month. That's pretty frickin' amazing and you should be proud.

Progress will be slow, and it will probably get slower. But every step, every pound is going to get you closer to your goal. Plus, you're in this for the long haul. It's a way of life, like brushing your teeth. You don't brush your teeth for one month and think, "Oh, man... I have to keep this up for DECADES???" You just do it, because it's what you need to do to live the kind of life you want to live.

yes!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here's something that might help you with your mindset about "only 1 pound".

Only One Pound

Hello! Do you know me?
    If you don't, you should. I'm a pound of fat.
    And I am the happiest pound of fat that you would ever want to meet.
    Want to know why?

It's because no one ever wants to lose me;
    I'm ONLY ONE POUND, just a pound!

Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds, or fifteen pounds, but never only one.
    So I just stick around and happily keep you fat.
    Then I add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice it.

That is until I've grown to ten, twenty, thirty or even more pounds in weight.
    Yes, it's fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT, left to do as I please.
    So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying, "Oh, I only lost one pound."
    (As if that were such a terrible thing)

For you see, if you do this, you'll encourage others to keep me around because they'll think I'm not worth losing.
    And, I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you.

Happy Days!!!
    After all, I'm ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

-Author Unknown

Be PROUD of that 1 pound loss this week! Every 1 pound loss will get you to your goal. Hang in there you are doing wonderful!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    you just keep truckin on....one day/one meal at a time!!