Suitable to wear to a wedding?!

Options

Replies

• KristysLosing
    Options
    I love it!! I think it's silly that there would be a problem with wearing white or ivory to a wedding. My mom wore an ivory dress to mine and I didn't care. It's not like people are going to think you are the bride. Stupidest thing every. I'm sure the blue is nice too, but I think this is an awesome dress! (and what kind of bride-zilla do you have to be to care what your guests are wearing? unless someone shows up in another wedding gown...)
  • crazihel
    crazihel Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you want to piss the bride off, go for it. You'll always be the one who she tells her friends, 'She wore white to my wedding....'.

I just wouldn't risk it, it's quite traditional that nobody should wear white to a wedding.

I agree with the other posts - either buy the cream one and dye it a different colour, or get the navy one xx

I hear what you are saying. Of the brides, 5 of them are some of my best friends so I can't imagine they would ***** about me like that though.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Don't wear white to a wedding. You have so many other days to wear a white dress, it's just bad manners whether it's casual or not.
  • crazihel
    crazihel Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It looks like the same exact dress comes in navy blue... Why not get that one instead? Because, I mean, according to everything I've ever read in Glamour magazine, wearing white (or off-white or cream~ or whatever) to a wedding is kind of a no-no. The style of the dress is lovely, though.

It's just I'm not a fan of the blue as much. And the weddings are in high summer so a chance to wear light, summery colours if you know what I mean. Thanks for your advice :)

You could style it with light, summery colours, though! Navy blue and yellow is one of my favourite colour combinations! The white one is totally gorg, but I just don't think it's quiiiite right for weddings.

Plus -- based on your profile picture, you look really pretty in navy.

Haha thanks :). I guess I could try the blue on.... ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous dress or no, I'd not wear white or cream to a wedding. Why risk it offending the bride?
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I LOVE the first one! I don't think it's too casual at all!
  • mikehannonp
    mikehannonp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wear what ever you want too! If u like the dress than get it and wear it. Good luck.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Lovely as long as you don't do it in white. Wearing white to a wedding unless expressly told by the bride is just not very tasteful.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I got married, I sure didn't notice what any of the guests were wearing. All I could see was the groom. I guess if your friends are catty, then you might be careful as some posters are suggesting.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options

I LOVE the first one! I don't think it's too casual at all!

I agree, I think the first one is very nice for a wedding, especially a summer wedding!

Plus, if you don't like your arms - why not get a shawl/cardigan/wrap. If it's glorious weather you might feel slightly uncomfortable in a sleeved dress.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd say either get it in navy or not at all. Wearing white to a wedding is not going to go over well.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I think either of the first two would be appropriate. I personally like the first one.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi - I agree with most of the people on here - you don't wear white to a wedding - sorry. BEAUTIFUL dress but not to an occasion like that. Even if you asked the bride and she was ok with it; as you can see from the comments here people feel quite strongly on this topic and the tradition of white being reserved for the bride.

Therefore unless you are happy to front out similar comments and whispers on the day (granted perhaps not by your friends but by the other guests) then I would avoid.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    to answer the one question: would the bride be offended?

Why not ASK her? I'm sure she'd tell you her opinion.
    Then respect it if it conflicts with your plans.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    another "no white at a wedding" vote here.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Judging by your profile pic, you look abso-frickin-lutely AMAZING in navy. The contrast with your hair and the way it makes your eyes pop... incredible.

If I were you, I don't know if I'd ever wear any other color! :laugh:
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wore a cream three piece suit to my best friend's wedding as his best man at their request, with a shirt underneath in the accent color that the bridesmaids all had in their dress. Nobody said a word to me before or since, except how fabulous I looked and how brilliant it was to turn the whole thing on its head.

In the end, it completely depends on the people involved and why you're doing it. I've been told it's in poor taste, but in our case it was totally intentional and the bride not only knew, she thought it was an awesome idea.

=Betty=
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I know if I was wearing white to a wedding (and I wasn't the bride) I would be self-conscious the whole time. It's a lovely dress though!
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Judging by your profile pic, you look abso-frickin-lutely AMAZING in navy. The contrast with your hair and the way it makes your eyes pop... incredible.

If I were you, I don't know if I'd ever wear any other color! :laugh:

Actually, this is true - I hadn't noticed before but you really do look lovely in navy blue. It's the hair that does it.
    Go for the blue :smile: