1200 Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    3 questions

1 - Do you know what your Maintenance calories are? (TDEE)
    2 - Why/how did you pick 1200?
    3 - how much protein are you eating?
    I echo these questions.

Secondly, never eat based on hunger cues when assuming a chronic calorie deficit since leptin values drop and the receptors become less reliable in noticing adjustments. Eat based on known energy needs + deficit.

Lastly, eat the kinds of foods you want to eat during maintenance. You need not make radical changes to reduce fat mass; in fact, people who do are usually ones who do not handle the mental stress of restriction all that well which causes poor compliance.
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well for now i've boosted up my calories to 1400, i also noticed *embarrassingly* I wasn't counting the milk i had on my breakfast and some small bits and thats took me about 1350 odd, so maybe i've been loosing on 1400. I've upped it for now i'll see how it goes.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Well for now i've boosted up my calories to 1400, i also noticed *embarrassingly* I wasn't counting the milk i had on my breakfast and some small bits and thats took me about 1350 odd, so maybe i've been loosing on 1400. I've upped it for now i'll see how it goes.
    Good for you! That's a start. You may wish to bump it up a bit more after a week or two at 1400, to slowly get up close to where you should be at.

When I first joined here, I was confused and nervous about eating more than MFP told me to, but once I did, my fears were assuaged by me feeling better and the weight still trending downwards.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    3 questions

1 - Do you know what your Maintenance calories are? (TDEE)
    2 - Why/how did you pick 1200?
    3 - how much protein are you eating?
    I echo these questions.

Secondly, never eat based on hunger cues when assuming a chronic calorie deficit since leptin values drop and the receptors become less reliable in noticing adjustments. Eat based on known energy needs + deficit.

Lastly, eat the kinds of foods you want to eat during maintenance. You need not make radical changes to reduce fat mass; in fact, people who do are usually ones who do not handle the mental stress of restriction all that well which causes poor compliance.
    This! Don't let the hunger gremlin get you...I mean hunger ghrelin...Seriously google scholar the hormone ghrelin. It's an interesting creature. If you don't produce this, you don't feel hungry, even if you're starving to death.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's a start. You may wish to bump it up a bit more after a week or two at 1400, to slowly get up close to where you should be at.

When I first joined here, I was confused and nervous about eating more than MFP told me to, but once I did, my fears were assuaged by me feeling better and the weight still trending downwards.
    I think we all were bacon.

To give you an idea of how low 1400 is I was still losing weight at NETTING 1700 cals at 120lbs. The larger I was, the more I could eat and lose. You need 2000 calories to get about 97-98% of the recommended nutrition for the average healthy female adult according to Health Canada/FDA/RDI. Massive deficits do not always correlate with massive losses (unless we're talking about hair losses lol). When I upped I lost at about the same rate. Your body well adapt and slow your metabolic rate down on a calorie deficit. And when your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is below your basil metabolic rate (BMR)...Well, you're going to be weaker and colder then the more fueled you with a slower metabolic rate. I fail to see the win.