Weightloss by Walking ?

Options

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

Anything you do to get your moving is a good thing - and it will get easier as you get more fit. It's not a sprint, it's all about changing your lifestyle so whatever you do has to be sustainable.

I started out at 395 and I'm now at 275. Feel free to add me!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. This is how I started and some Wii Fit exercises with the board. You can totally do it. :smile:
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Walking is the perfect way to start exercising, my first 3 months of weight loss were accompanied by walking and a healthy diet at a calorie deficit.

I started walking briskly for short periods of time then building it up, so going from a brisk 10 minute walk, then increasing by 5 minutes every few days. Essentially I trained myself to power walk. It helped bring my fitness level to a more comfortable starting point for higher intensity cardio.

After the initial 3 months I started swimming also, again building up stamina. I then added a few classed to the regime, go for enjoyable cardio at first like aerobics, zumba.

I now go the gym 5 days a week, doing a mixture of cardio and weights, minimum of 5 classes a week including Kettlebells, Circuits and Spinning, plus pilates and the occasional aerobic/step class, I run, walk, swim, cycle, I do things now that I NEVER thought I could do. It's all about building it up gradually, pushing yourself a bit further every time. It becomes addicitive, but lets face it, there are worst things you could be addicted to!!!!

Feel free to friend request me if you like :)
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The most frustrating, yet relieving thing I have learned about dieting is that there is a plethora of ways to lose weight. After not doing organized exercise for years, I was lying awake one night watching an infomercial and bought the Insanity work out! I did the first 30 days easily, second thirty not so easily. What did I learn...I learned that one hour on a treadmill with an incline of 6 and at 3 mph will let me burn about 500 calories, almost as much as the Insanity (in 45 minutes) I was doing and not kill myself. I put on my christian music and knock out some "God time" and reflect while walking on the treadmill. I feel so much better when I am done. Now, I alternate my Insanity (some modified moves) with walking and perhaps a Zumba class here and there to mix it up.

Do the best you can to keep moving and eat right...track everything that goes in your mouth and never assume anything is "good for you" as I found out this morning and I went through McDonalds (which is the devil) to get something to tide me over. Oatmeal at McDonalds is 58 carbs with very little protein and almost a full day's sugar. I didn't have my phone handy and so didn't realize it until I put it back at my desk. It's a step that they put the Oatmeal was only 290 calories...that part is okay...but it is made up of pure crap that made me hungry the rest of the morning. I will never leave the house without my breakfast or snacks again.

Take care and good luck sweetie! Friend me if you want :-)
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yet another resounding YES! Like many of us, I have gained and lost the same lbs over the years. When I get serious about losing, walking has always done the trick. I walk as fast as I can for 45 minutes. I've always been lucky enough to live in a hilly neighborhood, which is a bonus when you can power your way uphill. I also watch what I eat. Nothing drastic, just cutting out the junk and fatty foods and eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, etc. It has always worked for me. This go around, I'm alternating the walks with Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30. I love the combo and how great I feel lately.

So yes, do it! It's a miracle exercise, IMO. Oh, and definitely invest in some good shoes. Totally worth it and makes the experience that much more enjoyable.
  • vlwimb84
    vlwimb84 Posts: 15
    Options
    By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss? I need to lose quite a bit of weight before I can do any drastic cardio, as I found out by doing stairs instead of the elevator in my building for 3 days straight, and it caused me to be unable to walk for 3 days due to my knee ligaments being very damaged. So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

PLEASE NO NEGATIVITY ON THIS THREAD!

Walking is very underrated! You are on the right track for sure :)
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite way to exercise.....I have always enjoyed it and can't wait until the weather gets nicer here so I can go outside! :happy:

I have very bad knees and started walking at 3-3.5 mph for 20 minutes or so. I just changed up my routine by doing interval walking for 20-30 minutes 3-4 times per week on the treadmill and holy cow! That incorporated with some very light weights for my arms have already started to transform my body in even the last 1-2 weeks.

I can take my jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping them today!! :drinker: :love:

Get after it...enjoy it and have fun watching your body transform....these walking posts are my favorite!
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery a month ago. The first 3 weeks were hell. Not able to do ANYTHING. Gained 10 pounds by sitting and munching. Now for the past week I have been walking the dog twice a day (yup...still outta work). I think I need it more than she does but it does good for depression also (I am so use to being busy all the time) and the fresh air is great. I have not stepped on the scales and will not but I do feel much better.
  • sucg
    sucg Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, i'v only just started on this exciting exercise journey. Its freezing outside right now so my girls thought we should have a go at zumba at home in the warm. 2 mins and i'm shattered already. has anyone got any idea how many caloties zumba can work off? I'd be greatful for some feed back on any exercise to be honest x
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yes

& leslie sansone's 5 mile walk is highly recommended U will get it from you-tube
    Goodluck:flowerforyou:
  • sucg
    sucg Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanx for the Leslie Sansone tip. Just did the 1 mile walk to see what it was like, now cant wait to try the 3 mile walk :) Su x
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, just up the pace/challenge a bit each week :)
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Works for me. I bike in the summer which is also really easy on the knees.
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    I understand what u going thru there is also leslie sansone walk at home she is great you can use her if u cant go for walks if the weather is not good I love her dvd and its easy
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do you have a android or iphone? I recommend you get the endomondo app. It will tell you basically how many calories you burn based on your weight and hieght, it measures the distance and speed you walk. It will also upload that number to MFP so you can see it right on your calorie goal.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss?

So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

cm-24568-0506d32cfab0e5.gif

LOL! Yes, it's true! Eating healthy (which includes eating with a calorie deficit) combined with light exercise like walking most days of the week WILL result in weight loss. In fact, I'm living proof that it works! My weight loss has been almost entirely due to a healthier diet, a calorie deficit, and light to moderate regular exercise.

The thing is that if you lose weight that way, it'll happen slowly. So just be aware of that. It'll happen slowly, but it'll still happen if you keep at it! Plus slow weight loss is healthier for you anyway! :D
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    By eating healthy, and walking (30-60min a night, every night) will this work with weightloss? I need to lose quite a bit of weight before I can do any drastic cardio, as I found out by doing stairs instead of the elevator in my building for 3 days straight, and it caused me to be unable to walk for 3 days due to my knee ligaments being very damaged. So I was just wondering, if I spend the next 4 months focusing on eating healthy, and clean, and incorperating dailey walking (I also do a manual labour job) will this help me lose some weight?

PLEASE NO NEGATIVITY ON THIS THREAD!

OM gosh for sure... walking is a great tool to have with your calorie deficit..there are so many benefits form walking when you are a little overweight x

Try to remember to swing your arms as you walk...you may feel silly...but you are getting to work your upper body too...and it doesn`t matter what any one else thinks.

As you progress add a little `spurt` go for a faster walk run/jog even a few seconds :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Grab some hand weights as well. Leg ones if you can would benefit as a plus. You can then get some small strength training in while you walk ;) trust me that little bit helps later.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Do you have a android or iphone? I recommend you get the endomondo app. It will tell you basically how many calories you burn based on your weight and hieght, it measures the distance and speed you walk. It will also upload that number to MFP so you can see it right on your calorie goal.

Also DO NOT get endomondo. The GPS is way off. You may think you walked 10km but you really only did 9. It's that far off. Get at least mapmyfitness
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Walking definitely works but you are what you eat.

I'm a postman and walk between 3 and 4 hours a day, since trying to get into shape I've been doing Insanity but completed it two weeks ago, since then I've done no workouts while I let my body repair, I've been eating my 2200 a day calories to maintain and done my job (which burns around 450-600 calories per delivery according to my HRM) I've not been eating those calories back as I was a bit dubious about the burn and scared to put weight back on and I've been losing a pound a week still.

The reason I say you are what you eat is because I've done the same job for 13 years and piled the weight on a few times through bad diet and booze so while walking does work its what and how you eat which is the real king.