Late night hunger! What do you eat?

Options
garnet116
garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
Hi guys. I seem to do pretty ok with my eating habits for breakfast & lunch. Dinner is a little tricky so I'm not always the best there. Where I struggle is the end of the day, I am usually hungry around 9pm and I cannot fall asleep if I am hungry.

I sometimes eat 94% fat free popcorn or total cereal. If I am really hungry I eat some pb on one slice of whole wheat toast. What are some healthy low calorie snacks that would be filling to eat at night?

Thank you! Oh and I"m new here and could use some friends :)

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I usually try to go with something that has protein to help fill me up--Greek yogurt (Chobani pineapple!), cottage cheese with fruit, or a handful of nuts.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat two squares of 72% dark chocolate. It's very good for you, and so rich and flavorful that you feel satisfied. Try it! :love:
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    if this happens almost everyday, then schedule a certain amount of calories to have left over so u can fill the hunger void. As long as at the end of the day you hit ur macro needs u should be fine
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    a serving of pretzels with a triangle of laughing cow cheese spread
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    anymore ?'s just hit me message me
  • LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I always have a large evening meal, so it keeps me full for the evening, but I always save calories for a treat, either chocolate, doritos, or ice-cream! Im not the healthiest eater to be honest, but I am staying in my calories and losing weight....
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I recently started to love almonds. They are good snacks! I also love cocoa almonds. Another idea is having yogurt as a snack.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, pizza, porridge oats with whey protein, anything that fits my macros and is within my calories.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    I always have a large evening meal, so it keeps me full for the evening, but I always save calories for a treat, either chocolate, doritos, or ice-cream! Im not the healthiest eater to be honest, but I am staying in my calories and losing weight....

This is actually excellent advice....because if u r way too strict and just eat "healthy" (rabbit) foods then u risk the chance of losing ur intrest in dieting. Make sure you get at least 80% whole nutrient dense foods (non-processed), then its ok to add a little treats. As long as you reach ur macros at the end of the day ur golden.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    Ice cream, pizza, porridge oats with whey protein, anything that fits my macros and is within my calories.

Approved
  • garnet116
    Options
    What are macros? I googled it and a bunch of computer stuff came up :laugh: I'm a newbie obviously.

I LOVE dark chocolate! I think it wouldn't be filling for me, though. I need to get out of the carb habit because my brain doesn't seem to think my body is full unless I eat carbs at night.

So I could try a mozzarella stick... what about a hardboiled egg?

Almond or greek yogurt are great ideas, too!

Carbs are a real problem for me..

thanks guys!
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a little honey is my addiction :) Fabulously full of protein and doesn't leave you feeling stodgy but still full.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    What are macros? I googled it and a bunch of computer stuff came up :laugh: I'm a newbie obviously.

I LOVE dark chocolate! I think it wouldn't be filling for me, though. I need to get out of the carb habit because my brain doesn't seem to think my body is full unless I eat carbs at night.

So I could try a mozzarella stick... what about a hardboiled egg?

Carbs are a real problem for me..

thanks guys!

Macros are your Carbs/Fats/Protein Macronutrients. they make up your calorie total. 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories 1 gram of protein is 4 calories 1g of fat is 9 calories.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    If I literally wake up in the middle of the night hungry, I have a Chobani. That rarely happens. I also try to make my last meal the heaviest. I also like casein shakes before bed. I wake up thirsty, but feeling good. I just chug water first thing.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of water and go to bed.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    THIRST can sometimes be confused by for HUNGER. I say try drinking some water and if the hunger persists then have some of the following;

Low Sodium Peanut Butter - Very filling
    Low Fat yogurt
    Mozarella Cheestick
    Almonds
    Fruit

Best of luck!
  • garnet116
    Options
    THIRST can sometimes be confused by for HUNGER.

That is interesting.. I will drink more water especially towards the day.
  • ndixon
    ndixon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multi vitamin during the day? If so, you may want to try taking it at night. I find my multi makes me super hungry in the evenings if I take it during the day. I just switched it a few days ago and it seems better but I will let you know at the end of the week if it really helped.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    if this happens almost everyday, then schedule a certain amount of calories to have left over so u can fill the hunger void. As long as at the end of the day you hit ur macro needs u should be fine

This - if you're routinely hungry at night, then plan for a snack at night. Eating late won't hurt you.
  • garnet116
    Options
    Do you take a multi vitamin during the day? If so, you may want to try taking it at night. I find my multi makes me super hungry in the evenings if I take it during the day. I just switched it a few days ago and it seems better but I will let you know at the end of the week if it really helped.

Yes, let me know, that would be interesting to find out if it make a difference. thanks!