I need more protein

Options
karris43
karris43 Posts: 34 Member
I don't eat meat and I need more protein and less carbs. I've just adjusted my goals so if you look at my food diary you will see that I eat a lot of carbs but still stay under my (eating back exercise) calories.

Could anyone suggest great sources of protein that are not meat please? I read that milk was a good source of protein but when I test logged it earlier no protein showed up?

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt. Quinoa (even though a grain, it's still pretty high in protein)...

I've converted to an Almond Milk drinker (I was a big milk drinker before, but I was never wild about Skim). It's low in calories (I like the unsweetened Vanilla version) and has some protein.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    Check the nutrition facts on the milk bottle, sometimes the MFP entries arent correct. If you would like u can purchase a Whey Protein Isolate powder, very low in carbs and fat. make sure its an isolate tho
  • penneyEmma
    Options
    I am in the same position so am gonna lurke and see what advice you get. I eat fish but not meat. I am aiming for 100g of protein a day but dont even get half way.

I have added more Quorn to my diet and have ordered some almonds in my Tesco shop
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    All sorts of nuts pack alot of protein as well, but that will bring ur fat count high as well. Cottage cheese is a good source too, and if u do eat fish thats great, talapia, tuna, etc.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    There is protein in milk. You should be aware that not all of the entries in the database are complete. Some only contain calories. You may need to search through a couple of entries to find one that has complete nutritional info.

As for your original question...can you eat fish? Fish is a good source of protein. Also beans, tofu, eggs and most dairy products.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, eggs, soy-based proteins, tofu, tempeh, cottage cheese (or low fat), greek yoghurt (or low/no fat), cheese (or low fat), fish (if you'll eat it), peas and other legumes/pulses.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are my favorite protein bars. They're natural - without all of the processed additives of other protein bars that I've tried, and they're low carb and glueten free.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your replies. I don't eat fish.

I will try some of the suggestions, thanks again.