Conflicting feelings on an NSV.

Options
I have officially moved from being depressed because all my clothes were too small, to depressed because all my clothes are too big and I have no money to buy new ones. :happy:

Replies

• sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Look at local consignment shops, Goodwill...places like that! I shop clearance racks and have found some great buys!! Bought a pair of jeans at Kohl's for $6.60! I try not to spend much $$ because sometimes the clothes out grow me too fast and I need to go down in size. Good luck.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, hubby keeps telling me how cute my bum looks.... umm ya it'd probably be cutter if it wasn't hidden under sacked out 4 size too big pants :-)
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Look at local consignment shops, Goodwill...places like that! I shop clearance racks and have found some great buys!! Bought a pair of jeans at Kohl's for $6.60! I try not to spend much $$ because sometimes the clothes out grow me too fast and I need to go down in size. Good luck.

^^^^^This for sure!

I have found clothes with the tags still on them at consignment and Goodwill stores. Also, many second hand clothing stores will buy your clothes if they are in good condition. They give you store credit to go shopping for more clothes.
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh just admit it, you aren't conflicted at all. :flowerforyou:
    You are doing the happy dance every morning as you say to yourself "too big, too big, waaaaay too big!" I know, it's no fun to not have clothes that fit, but I bet you are saving money by cooking for yourself and not eating out as much (my big weakness) and you can find a way to buy one thing at a time until you have a reasonable wardrobe.

enjoy it!
  • laceymcmath
    Options

Ohh, yes. I am a BIG thrift store shopper. Unfortunately, my husband and I are REALLY pinching pennies so even buying clothes at Goodwill can be challenging. But bit by bit I'll do it! =D
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have officially moved from being depressed because all my clothes were too small, to depressed because all my clothes are too big and I have no money to buy new ones. :happy:

CONGRATULATIONS! :D Don't let a lack of funds derail your progress or bring you down!

^^ THIS

Seriously, Kohls has great clearance and Target. Also, I agree on the Goodwill and where I am Salvation Army Thrift Stores. Where I am Target donates a lot of their unsold clearance to Goodwill. And a lot of the time you can find clothes still with tags -- sometimes really expensive ones. I've found the trick to the Salvation Army Thrift stores is to shop at the ones that are nearest to nicer neighborhoods.

I've also broke down and went to Wal-Mart and used some cash I got as a gift to purchase two pairs of $15 jeans even though I don't regularly shop Wal-Mart. Excluding the jeans from Wal-Mart I've purchased five tops, one pair of pajamas, three other pairs of jeans and a belt in various states of used, clearance, and new for under $50 spread over more than a year.

One of the lucky things about being a yo-yo dieter in the past was that I had a range of clothes from HS to the present that were size 18/20 - 30/32 and with the few purchases above I've been able to get this far on just that small amount. However by summer I will have NOTHING and then I'll be back to the thrift stores getting a completely new wardrobe.

ETA: Also, go to Kohls when they're doing their "Kohls Cash" (or whatever it's called) promotion. You do have to spend a bit but they give you a coupon that is as good as cash for your next visit.
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to keep sets of sizes 8,10,12,14 but when I stayed at size 18 soooo long I threw out the rest. I bet they would be out of style now anyhow. I wish MFP had a clothing exchange! We should start one. All these people losing at different levels we should be able to swap.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is with Goodwill around here lately, but they are more expensive than a lot of clearance rack stuff in the major department stores now. Which might be okay if the clothes hadn't gotten so ratty and worn out lately. I need to hit up the Salvation Army and see if they're any better.

Oh yeah, and congrats on a great, if temporarily annoying NSV! Hope you get some extra cash to buy clothes that fit soon. :drinker:
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    ugh - wait til you need 3 sets of clothes. One for the first half of the month, one for the second half of the month and two loads just for gym laundry FML its so awesome
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've been asking good friend for cast offs. And the other is consignment clothing, I am taking good items in for resale and they offer a larger store credit if you buy from the same store, so that has worked well. Another friend I am paying for alterations with prepared meals for her.
    It's hard because I fantasized about the new wardrobe, but didn't count the cost. A belt is a great investment.
    CONGRATS on your loss. I know you wouldn't trade it back for cloths that fit.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    A belt is a great investment.

Agreed! It was the first thing I bought and it was new and like a $12 or something, which was a quarter of what I've spent on my clothes thus far.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I go regularly to the local thrift store and get smaller sizes and buy new tings only on deep discount.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    E-Bay can be useful as well if you know you could be going down through a couple of sizes. You can often buy bundles of clothes which are quite useful if you only intend to be in them for a couple of months before dropping down another size.
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Gary_AquaMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Got three almost-new pairs of pants this week from a church thrift store! Yes, my size right off the rack, for $3 each!
  • sremarie
    sremarie Posts: 37
    Options
    I can't wait till I'm depressed because my clothes are too big for me! Awesome job!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

^^Absolutely this... You don't always have to spend a fortune for good clothes. You would not believe the positive comments about how I looked when I had to announce a band at our state convention and later take my band to state band contest wearing two different $10 suits I picked up at the Salvation Army Thrift Store... $10 and a good cleaning and I was set to go.
  • Fit_Kenzie
    Fit_Kenzie Posts: 124
    Options
    wow, are you never happy then? Congrats on wieght loss.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I recently went shopping for new clothing and I can't afford a lot either. So what I did was budget an amount I could spend then I went to a local chain thrift store (Savers) and got 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of slacks, and 10 shirts for my amount. I can now mix N match until I can afford more. Just buy a bit at a time :)
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

^^^^^This for sure!

I have found clothes with the tags still on them at consignment and Goodwill stores. Also, many second hand clothing stores will buy your clothes if they are in good condition. They give you store credit to go shopping for more clothes.

Yes! And get to know the people there. They'll tell you the days new stuff gets dropped off! Also, pay attention to tag colors. Most have days when certain color tags are 25, 50, or 75% off.

Check out the clearance rack at Kohl's and Macy's. I almost always find great stuff there. I've found jeans for as low as $10 at Macy's before! Usually around $15 (Though the thrift stores are cheaper).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    needle and thread, my friend. easier to take clothes in!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!