Sleeping patterns

Behavior_Modification
Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Before I started working out and eating right a few months ago I would not have a problem with my sleeping schedule being "off" on the weekends. But now my body doesn't seem to know what it means to sleep in (even if I've gone to bed at 3am). So I feel like I can't stay up late on weekend nights and have to be a party pooper and go home early so I don't feel like crap the next day. Explaining this to my b/f has been difficult also because he wants me to stay up to all hours on the weekend with him.

Anyone else out there that can relate or have any ideas on how to make this better?

Replies

• spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Maybe before you started on your diet you were eating sugar (in your food) in the evenings, or drinking caffeine which was keeping you up?

Here is a list of high energy foods: http://www.clean-energy-ideas.com/natural_detox/high_energy_foods.html
  • Behavior_Modification
    Maybe before you started on your diet you were eating sugar (in your food) in the evenings, or drinking caffeine which was keeping you up?

Here is a list of high energy foods: http://www.clean-energy-ideas.com/natural_detox/high_energy_foods.html

Thanks, but my problem isn't the going to bed early, I'm a professional sleeper :), and can usually fall asleep at night without any problems. The problem is that I can't sleep in the next day if I stay up late and my body feels like crap then too. And my b/f doesn't understand this concept and thinks I'm being a party pooper. But I just want to feel better and apparently that is what my body needs, but if anyone has any tips on how to make this easier I'm all ears.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    I am a Clinical Supervisor at a sleep center, I think I can help! Ok, so every has a sleep rhythm. If you go to bed and get up 5 days a week at pretty much the same time, your body does not know that it's saturday and you want to sleep in. And you WANT that! Once you start messing with your sleep clock it cause cause many many other problems such as insomnia. Just ask 3rd shift workers. The reason that you feel like junk the next day is because of the lack of sleep. Sleep is very important to your body. And when you don't get it your body reacts by feeling sluggish. Tell your boyfriend that it's a fact and he can google it! LOL! Or have him read this post!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Melatonin or valerian root may help you stay asleep a while longer. Don't use them to often (even though they are natural) just to be on the safe side. I drink valarian tea about once a week (usually on Friday nights) so I can get a more restful night of sleep. Talk to your doctor in case you aren't able to take either of these.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Melatonin or valerian root may help you stay asleep a while longer. Don't use them to often (even though they are natural) just to be on the safe side. I drink valarian tea about once a week (usually on Friday nights) so I can get a more restful night of sleep. Talk to your doctor in case you aren't able to take either of these.

Maybe I misunderstoond. I thought that sleeping was not the issue, It was sleeping in? Do you get good restful sleep during the week? I would not use melatonin or valerian root unless you were having trouble everyday.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member

Maybe I misunderstoond. I thought that sleeping was not the issue, It was sleeping in? Do you get good restful sleep during the week? I would not use melatonin or valerian root unless you were having trouble everyday.

The issue as I understood it was that the nights she stays up late she gets up at the same time as normal. If that's so...the melatonin or valerian will allow her to continue to get in an extra hour or so of sleep. Also, I should have mentioned this earlier...does she use black out drapes? I have lace ones in my room and I tend to wake up when it gets light outside. I wonder if she added the black out drapes if she could sleep in on weekends.
  • Behavior_Modification
    It is staying asleep that is the problem on nights I stay up too late. During the week I go to bed at a normal time and get a very good night's rest.

The blackout drapes are a really good idea too, even after I get back on a better schedule.

Thanks ladies!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I am a Clinical Supervisor at a sleep center, I think I can help! Ok, so every has a sleep rhythm. If you go to bed and get up 5 days a week at pretty much the same time, your body does not know that it's saturday and you want to sleep in. And you WANT that! Once you start messing with your sleep clock it cause cause many many other problems such as insomnia. Just ask 3rd shift workers. The reason that you feel like junk the next day is because of the lack of sleep. Sleep is very important to your body. And when you don't get it your body reacts by feeling sluggish. Tell your boyfriend that it's a fact and he can google it! LOL! Or have him read this post!
    Thanks, great post, something I needed to hear! Appreciate you posting your knowledge:wink::happy:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    My internal body clock won't let me sleep in either. everyday without fail I am awake at 7:30 and sometimes a few minutes before (I no longer wake up to my alarm clock except if I'm ill and my body is attempting to keep me out longer).

I'm not sure if it's an exercise thing or not but I wouldn't fight it. :) The only thing I've found that helps (on the nights I stay up way late due to whatever activity) is to nap the day after an all nighter. Ye sit means being tired for most of the morning but a quick afternoon nap restores my energy and I go to bed and wake up at the same times the next sleep cycle so it's all good!
This discussion has been closed.