Just introducing myself

Options
Hi all, my name is Linda and I am brand new to this site and am already very impressed with it. I found the protein shake I use and even specific foods that I buy at Aldi, which I was not able to find on other sites. So tracking foods here will be less time consuming since so many are already in the food lists.

I am interested in making significant changes in my eating that will help me get rid of the extra pounds forever. #1 is sugar!! Sugar has been my "drug of choice" for many years. I kept thinking I could have it in moderation, or only sweets that were organic, or sweets from the health food store (Yes, health food stores sell junk food too) but there is no such thing for me. Sugar opens the floodgates for me and my efforts go down the tubes. Anyone else experience this?

I have been going to a functional medicine Dr. for more than a month now and have not had any sugar for more than three weeks now. The cravings really do go away! Not that I'm home free but I don't have that constant, almost physical gnawing in my belly for something sweet to eat. That's a huge step in the right direction! And it feels good!

I told my Dr. that I'd like to read about what functional medicine is all about and he recommended that I might want to start with Sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions. Wow! What a powerhouse of information about food and nutrition incorporated into a cookbook. I'll need to take it one step at a time or it would be overwhelming. Has anyone else seen this book?

One of my challenges at the moment is finding a salad dressing recipe that taste's great with no sugar in it. Most of the store bought dressings use soy and/or canola oil that has been processed. I can only use expeller pressed or cold pressed oil so I need a good home made dressing recipe. Can anyone help me with that.

I'd love to communicate in the nutrition board with others who are trying to go the whole foods route. Maybe we could start a whole foods group. That would be great! I'm new to it and I believe that it can help me lose the weight, feel more energetic and maintain a higher level of health and vitality in my life. Anyone else out there interested in learning about the whole foods way of eating with me?

Linda