weights vs cardio

Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
Watching people at the gym this weekend..Would a person lose weight faster strictly weight lifting or cardio

Replies

• Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't start making decent progress until I started daily heavy cardio alongside my every second day weights workout, and am loving the extra energy/endurance I seem to be developing as well. No more huffing and puffing up the stairs for me!!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I didn't start making decent progress until I started daily heavy cardio alongside my every second day weights workout, and am loving the extra energy/endurance I seem to be developing as well. No more huffing and puffing up the stairs for me!!

I dont think there is anything wrong with doing a combination of both. The cardio helps keep my stamina up which literally effects every party of my life, the weight lifting helps me feel strong and helps shape my body.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I do both. I never saw it as one verse the other. I know you can lose weight doing either. Cardio burns a lot of calories while you do it but when you are done you are done. Weight lifting burns less while you are doing it but you continue to burn calories at a faster rate after the workout is over. Me I do weight lifting and then I finish it off with cardio. That way I have the afterburn going at the same time as my cardio. I say just do both and don't worry about trying to completely exclude one or the other.

I know that is a bit of a dodge so if I had a gun to my head and I couldn't say do both. Then I would say do the weight lifting.
  • swinget
    swinget Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree that both are important, so I would definitely recommend including both in your workout routine. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so adding weights to your routine is go to help speed up the calorie burn. http://www.swfitnut.com/index/10-ways-to-boost-your-metabolism
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    HIIT Cardio will melt away the lbs with a quickness. Burns a lot of calroies during and you get the benifits of the afterburn you normally wouldn't get with cardio.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could Choose One or the Other! They aree both Equally Important to me.:drinker:
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    HIIT Cardio will melt away the lbs with a quickness. Burns a lot of calroies during and you get the benifits of the afterburn you normally wouldn't get with cardio.

That's what I have found too. Was doing moderate effort cardio for a bit, but found near max high intensity cardio was just so much better and less time consuming anyways. Never understood "afterburn" until I started with it too and loving it.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i like to do both as well. i lost the pounds with doing mainly cardio and watching calories, but for body shaping and toning, weights are they way to go, for me at least. i did cardio alone for about 4 months and lost about 15 pounds. i have been doing weight/strength training in addition to about half the cardio for about a month. i also still watch my calories, but not as rigidly as before. i'm already seeing and feeling results from the weight training. even my husband mentioned it! it took me a bit of time to find the right combination, but now that i have, i don't plan on stopping! another element for me was just small, fun lifestyle changes. i do squats or tricep dips in the elevator at work. i park far away when i'm at the store. i'm trying to drink more water and get more sleep. we go hiking on the weekend instead of laying around on the couch all day. i feel great, healthy, happy, energized, have more stamina and just all around feel awesome :) my doctor even noticed a difference!
  • JustDoItArt
    JustDoItArt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It seems like the most impressive male transformations that lost lots of weight (100+ lbs like I need to do) always looked better to me when they were achieved with primarily weight lifting versus primarily cardio.

Authors like Jim Karas (Cardio Free Diet) pretty much convinced me that cardio for the sake of burning excess calories is a tough proposition -- better to do that in the kitchen.

I think cardio has a huge benefit to build cardio-vascular health to make every day activities like stairs, hiking, etc. easier, but to depend on cardio to burn excess calories doesn't make as much sense to me.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love Lifting and have been doing 5x5 in the gym. My BF% is down almost 10% and I am down about 30lbs, BUT I will say I saw the scale move much faster when I was doing cardio for 30-60 minutes as well as lifting. Now I am seeing the messurements drop but have kinda stalled out on the scale.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    both!

cardio + calorie deficit = weight loss (actually calorie deficit alone will do it, but cardio makes a bigger deficit)

weights + protein = muscle development = fat trimmed
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do both!! :bigsmile:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Both is good.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have to do both!! noticed a bigger difference when i started lifting...Wish I had started sooner!! I use to only do cardio and ab work but if I had to choose between the two I would do my weights
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The correct answer is both. Personally I prefer cadio because I enjoy running and am working on upping my endurance so I can lower my half marathon time this year. I also am very intimidated by lifting for a few reasons, 1, I have no desire to get "ripped". 2. I really have no clue what I'm doing when I use some of the weight machines.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone else. Doing both is really the best option.

That being said, in terms of the scale: I gained weight lifting... but I lost inches and toned up. I look thinner, even though I weigh more now.
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

That's what I have found too. Was doing moderate effort cardio for a bit, but found near max high intensity cardio was just so much better and less time consuming anyways. Never understood "afterburn" until I started with it too and loving it.

HIIT cardio = Sprinters body
    Low Impact cardio = Marathoners body

marathoner_sprinter2.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is no difference in the amount of weight you will lose. That is controlled by calorie deficit.

However, there will be a difference in the amount of muscle versus fat you lose.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It isn't a competition, you can do both.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This totally.

HIIT cardio = Sprinters body
    Low Impact cardio = Marathoners body

marathoner_sprinter2.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!