Crusty Bread...

Options
I love crusty bread, the sort where you cut your own slices, but when I eat it I don't lose weight.

How many calories per gram should I be counting? They all seem to say '1 slice' instead of a weight, which isn't very helpful!

Replies

• Ajellyfish77
    Ajellyfish77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    hummm that is a good point... Do you make it yourself? If you have the recipe there are sites you can share it on that will give you all the nutritional information. Cookeatshare is a good one for that :)
  • EmilyLock
    EmilyLock Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No, it's just an ordinary white loaf like a bloomer or farmhouse, bought from (usually) Greggs bakery.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Check the package, or listing in the database. Most will list a serving size by grams or ounces. If not, you can usually get this from the total weight and number of servings listed. Like, many will say something like: 10 servings, 120 calories each. If it's a 16-ounce loaf, the serving size is 1.6 ounces. Then you can weigh your slice and figure out the calorie count.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Ask the bakery where you buy it. I rarely don't get the nutritional content when I ask.

Easy. simple. No problem.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would weigh a slice - most loaves come in a standard 800 g for large loaf or 400 g for small loaf. The database should have entries for bread by weight as well as per slice. A search for 'Tesc Crusty White Bloomer' has an entry by weight.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Your typical bloomer weighs 800 grams, so just how much each slice weighs depends on how thick you cut it. 10 slices, and each would weigh 80grams
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This might help, I picked up a nutritional info leaflet from Greggs. This is the bread section.

DSC_1099.jpg