HRM help please ?

Options
Ok so after reading on here that loads of ya use a HRM I decided to invest in one.

Before I was only using a pedometer to track my calories burned. So today, first day using the HRM,I'm surprised as to the big difference between cals burned on the pedometer and hrm. The HRM is giving like WAAAAAAAAY more burned than my pedo ???? And thats doing the same walk as normal ???

On both I'd to input my weight and stride, but on the hrm I'd to input my height. So do I go by the pedo or hrm ??? I didn't even log all my cals burned for today as I was afraid it was wrong............

Any help greatfully recieved and sorry if this is already asked somewhere

Replies

• mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I'd go on what the HRM says. Any time I have used a pedometer and tested it, its been way off in terms of how many steps I actually did. And with the HRM it will base the calories on your actual heart rate and other stats.
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I've been using an HRM for years and that's my only expertise with the things. I'd be inclined to go with the HRM over the pedo because your heart rate is a better indicator of the actual effort expended than just the distance walked and your weight.

Did the HRM reading during your walk seem to be an accurate indicator of the amount of effort you were expending? I ask because it's possible you could be getting a crazy HRM reading. When mine needs a new battery or the electrodes aren't properly positioned (or moistened), all bets are off. And once when the belt got old, it developed cracks and the readings were all over the map.

Do you know how your HRM reading during your walk compared as a percentage of your max heart rate?

I hope that helps some.