weight training and travel - lots of travel

Options
I'm wondering if anyone is doing a good job of staying on top of their weight training program while traveling? Next week I will be starting a long series (several months) of travel for work. The majority of the travel is outside the US, hopping from country to country, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how I will keep my workout schedule.

I've looked at some of my hotels and most of them have a few treadmills and maybe some dumbbells. There are definitely no squat racks or extensive barbell set ups or even weight machines. I'm wondering if I just need to focus on diet and body weight exercises and get back to heavier lifting when I get done with this round of travel.

Anyone have ideas on how to make this work? I've been lifting as heavy as possible for the last month or so and am seeing some progression. I would hate to go backwards!

Replies

• olyabe
    olyabe Posts: 36
    Options
    I have a similar problem, so I tend to stick to cardio on the road.. just the fact that all the weights are different shape and weight plus all the machines are different in every hotel immediately throws me off.
    I am not doing a hardcore weight circuit now, just burning off accumulated fat (from travel...). But when I did a few years back, I used a list of strength training moves that rely on using your body weight and resistance bands that are easy to pack.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I travel extensively for work as well, but all in the US. I pick hotels based on their fitness centers or affiliation to a local gym. Also, I'm fortunate enough to consistently to go to the same locations, so I tend to stay at the same hotel week after week.

I need to lift weights. Do I not lift as heavy while on the road? Absolutely, but I like that I have to constantly come up with something new and innovative to test my fitness knowledge while on the road. I would still lift if I were you. But also like pp, I tend to do more body weight exercises. Come on, live up to the challenge, I can do a fairly decent workout with one 20lb dumbbell if I had to!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just stick to bodyweight strength exercises, walking lunges, squats etc. google for more. They should help you until you can get back to your normal routine.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's not heavy lifting but you could always get some resistance bands to use to keep muscle tone. And just keep up with cardio on the road...
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I travel extensively for work as well, but all in the US. I pick hotels based on their fitness centers or affiliation to a local gym. Also, I'm fortunate enough to consistently to go to the same locations, so I tend to stay at the same hotel week after week.

I need to lift weights. Do I not lift as heavy while on the road? Absolutely, but I like that I have to constantly come up with something new and innovative to test my fitness knowledge while on the road. I would still lift if I were you. But also like pp, I tend to do more body weight exercises. Come on, live up to the challenge, I can do a fairly decent workout with one 20lb dumbbell if I had to!

I will definitely live up to the challenge. I'm not sure I'll be able to chart and track everything exactly as I've been but I'm going to make this happen :) I used to travel just in the US and it was MUCH easier to find fitness options.
  • scubabum52
    scubabum52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a road warrior as well and just purchased the TRX suspension system; my trainer at the gym had me try it a few times and I really liked it. I am finding though at the hotel and using the door attachment, you don't have quite enough space, but it still provides a decent workout. Google it and see what you think. I have carried resistance bands and did P90X with just the resistance band and it is also a good workout. I find my biggest challenge is staying on a good nutrition program. I carry protein bars and a shaker with protein powder, but so many temptations on the road. Good luck and let us know what you figure out!