HELP! Sweating is ruining my face :(

Options

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I stopped getting the really bad breakouts when I started making sure that I, at the very least, got a clean, wet, towel and scrubbed my face off as soon as I possibly could after working out. And then would give it a good scrub with just regular (Dove) body soap in the shower later.

But even if I showered as soon as I got home from the gym, I still had better luck with stopping breakouts if I just stopped in the bathroom at the gym and rinsed my face before I left.

And I don't wear make-up of any kind, ever. And just use regular lotion.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Can any one reccomend a really good facial cleanser/moisturizer that isn't made from gold and diamonds or baby whale fat??? My face is like a poppyseed bagel. Plz and thanks

I think my breakouts are due to increased consumption of dairy, and all the sweating while working out... I wash my face regualrly, I dont wear make up a lot and when I do I don't sleep in it. I am using garnier face wash and Simple moisturizer. I never broke out not even in high school!

ANY TIPS?!?!?!

Whats the point of having a hott body if It's giving me an ugly face ??? LOL :)
    I recommend pure, organic expeller presed grapeseed oil as a moisturizer. It clears up acne, has antioxidents, etc. Google it. Not only have I read about it, I use it, It did clear my face up. It will NOT leave your skin oily at all. I use it on my face and entire body and on the ends of my hair.

breakouts are a way for your body to detoxify from toxins and crap. Increase your water intake to help flush your system. Put lemon juice in your water or on your food to further aid in detoxifying. When you sweat have a towel handy to wipe it off immediately afterward.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    how old are you? in my 20s i used a strong alpha hyrdroxy acid (MD forumulations is my fave). Now at almost 40 I use alguronic acid (Algenist)

my skin looks great and i have milk in my coffee everyday

oh and always use a fresh clean washcloth on your face. Never reuse a cloth before washing it in hot water.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    and yes it could be the dry weather as well. Use a humidifier at night.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "Fat also serves as a useful buffer towards a host of diseases. When a particular substance, whether chemical or biotic—reaches unsafe levels in the bloodstream, the body can effectively dilute—or at least maintain equilibrium of—the offending substances by storing it in new fat tissue. This helps to protect vital organs, until such time as the offending substances can be metabolized and/or removed from the body by such means as excretion, urination, accidental or intentional bloodletting, sebum excretion, and hair growth."

If you are losing fat those substances are being released back into your body. I might just be that your body is trying to get rid of them somehow.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Touching your face when you work out is probably the culprit.

Wash your hands thoroughly before you wash your face. Really scrub your hands. After you've scrubbed your hands, then wet your face and wash it. Use just your finger tips. Use whatever cleanser you like that doesn't make you feel dried out, but one with a salicylic acid is good. Rinse then wash it again. After you rinse it, pat it dry and that is it. Don't use anything harsh, don't scrub it too much.

And make sure you don't touch your face when you're working out. That gym equipment can leave some nasty bacteria where you wipe the sweat off, and that's probably the culprit. Bacteria just loves sticking to sweaty hands, and if you're rubbing your face a lot, you're rubbing the bacteria into your pores.

There's no magic pill or potion.

I finish up with moisturizer applied with clean fingertips. One with AHA or hyaluronic acid is good. Brands are not that important.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Also cetaphil, while being touted as a great product in the 1980s, is chock full of unhealthy chemicals and most dermatologists no longer recommend it. For me personally, cetaphil caused cystic acne.

The anti bacteria bar is the only thing that has been working for me with regards to the acne I had. Anything else made my face worse. I tried Retinol A, washes with syacilic acid and any other acne "fighter" and it had the reverse effect for me.

I think it's just going to be trial and error for the OP like it was with me and figuring out that I was allergic to the acne fighters.
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options
    Try to rinse off your face immediately after working out. I stop by the gym bathroom and just splash water until no longer salty, pat dry with paper towel. Seconding the use of oils (olive or coconut) as a moisturizers, and try to keep hands clean before touching!
  • rettigkl
    rettigkl Posts: 18
    Options
    nutregena deep clean cleanser. love it! i also go to the dermatologist, though, and use what he gives me.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I wipe my face with tea tree oil after a workout, and for my general face wash I use angels on bare skin from Lush. I can't remember the last time I had a breakout.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I use wipes after but sweating is actually good for your pours it cleAns them out. Do you eat a lot of dairy i was shocked when my docotor said that could be part of my problem. I stopped eating dairy and my face is so much clearer!
  • sierrajordon
    sierrajordon Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use BWC cleanser its vegan/vegetarian. I LOVE it! i also use my clarisonic which again im in love with. i have had trouble with my skin constantly but that combination seems to work for me.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As some others have said trial and error with a few different products may be best until you find what works. At least rinse the sweat off after a workout and I make sure I exfoliate properly at least 3 times a week. Neutrogena is really good. I also heard that after you've exfoliated with hot water (which opens the pores), wipe your face with cold water as it closes the pores and stops extra dirt getting in. I've noticed a definite difference if I don't do it so it could be another thing to try. It may also be a hormonal thing. Hope you find something that works! :-)
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Stop / reduce the dairy products (this will definitely help), go to a steam/sauna regularly, and only moisturise when / where you need to, ie when skin is dry. Good luck!
  • vicky_b329
    Options
    Sweating can actually be really good for your skin! What I do is rinse or wash my face BEFORE I work out. Even when I'm not wearing make up or anything. That way my pores are clear. Then when there aren't obstructions, the sweat can actually push subcutaneous dirt/bacteria out. You should, of course, clean your face after working out, too. But give cleansing beforehand a try. I find my skin is actually better when I'm working out and sweating frequently!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    A lot of really good tips here - just want to say Garnier does nothing good for me either. It actually gave me hives. Ditch it! (also good idea to tame down the dairy and maybe try a natural face product and a toner) Good luck! & you totally don't look like a poppyseed bagel BTW, you're beautiful!!
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do you have dry skin? I have riciulously dry skin and I get awful breakouts. What happens is my face gets so dry it creates extra oils as a method of moisturizing. Extra oil = bad breakouts. So I make sure I moisturize every morning and night after washing my face. I use Clinique products for moisture, and the cheapest stuff I can find for everything else and it works great. Clinique can be pricey but a little goes a long way, and for me the quality moisturizer is worth it. I don't care about the soap/facewash I'm rinsing it off anyway, but the moisture I want locked in.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I would get a Clarisonic or cheaper equivalent.

My face was so oily it felt like olive oil was all over my face. This machine saved my face and still use it today - it's fantastic
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    I had terrible acne growing up, mainly due to diet and hormones but partially due to products that I put on my face. Once I stopped using cleansers, my skin cleared up. But as with most things done naturally, the process was not easy. I had to go out looking, well, lumpy and greasy and red. *deep breath*

It was gross, but once my pores cleared out properly, my skin got better.
  • Rivka007
    Rivka007 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make sure my face is clean before working out (I use Cetaphil), and then afterwards I use a toner of 1 part Mom's organic apple cider vinegar 1 part water. I also use tea tree oil on any actual pimples. Works for me!