My knee hurts after working out.

Options
I've started to work out after not doing anything for the last year. I heard the new Jillian Michael's DVD 30 day Shred is good, so I decided to go out and buy it. I started last week on Level 1 and now I have noticed my right knee is in some pain during and after exercising. I'm thinking it's because of the impact of the cardio and maybe the way I'm landing.

I don't know if I should continue with it. I'm afraid that I'm might do some damage to it or maybe I just need to strengthen the muscles around it since I haven't exercised in a while. I was maybe also thinking of doing the elliptical instead of her cardio and see how that goes.

I've also bought a knee brace to help support it.

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    maybe just spend some extra time warming it up before you start?

I know she does hip/shoulder warm ups on the DVD you could always do some step ups or something before you start just to get the joint warm - I think the 30DS is a much more effective form of cardio then the elliptical personally, I would try and stick with it, just warm up your knee really good before starting.

just my 2 cents
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I used to have knee issues and saw a doctor about it. I found out I needed orthotics. Your feet are your foundation, so getting the alignment right there affects the rest of the body.
  • Annimack2
    Annimack2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do notice my feet hurt to at times during the exercises. I feel like I'm landing a lot of my toes. Shouldn't I be land more on the balls of my feet?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I used to have knee issues and saw a doctor about it. I found out I needed orthotics. Your feet are your foundation, so getting the alignment right there affects the rest of the body.

didn't even think about that - also a great idea
  • samreitz
    samreitz Posts: 9
    Options
    Knee strengthening exercises twice a day should help. Also make sure you have the right type of shoes to support the types of movement you are doing.