Any merit to not eating a meal after 8PM?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL I almost went in that direction too...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner around 8 or 9 several times a week. I haven't died yet and I'm still losing weight.
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually take a protein shake right before I go to sleep.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Only if you go to sleep at 8. Eating while asleep is a choking hazard.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Pals, just wanted to ask a quick quesiton for some opinions on eating after a certain hour, say 8PM? What have you heard and what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance and I hope that all of you are having a great day today!

Santos
    For over 30 years I've eaten well into the 11pm hour. Anyone that tells you eating after 8pm makes calories store as fat are really saying "I've met my calorie limit at dinner. Now when I each extra calories at night, I get fat".
    If you haven't met calorie goal before bed time, then it's unlikely you'll gain weight eating up to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • spicacio
    spicacio Posts: 33
    Options
    "Only if you go to sleep at 8. Eating while asleep is a choking hazard. "

Pure Awesomeness! I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid it due to heartburn implications. However, even that has lessened as I've lost weight and started eating better.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Nope

yeah unless you have reflux like half the population. lol nice generalization. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nope

yeah unless you have reflux like half the population. lol nice generalization. :)

glad to see we're back in sync today :wink: :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Nope

glad to see we're back in sync today :wink: :drinker:

me too. that was weird. :laugh:
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The reason people make this claim has nothing to do with the actual time on the clock. One would hope we could dispense with such mindless straw men.

People who advocate not eating after dinner are simply saying that if we stop stuffing our face and give our bodies an extended period of time to upregulate hormone sensitive lipase, we might lose some fat.
  • jonsampearson
    Options
    I don't get home from the gym until 7:30 pm, so I pretty much have to eat after 8pm. I do stay up until 10pm on purpose, because I am not for sure if it is more likely to turn to fat laying down.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

PAfOSgA.gif
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night can cause an overestimated reading on the scale the following day, because some of the food is still in your digestive track. However, it does not cause you to gain weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I'll eat something like almonds or cheese before bed. I prefer something that is a little more filling so I won't wake up hungry and irritable.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothing better than going to bed stuffed full of food. :) the following food coma has me sleeping like a baby all night!
  • reneeopruitt
    reneeopruitt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always eat late .. all day... I wake up at 8am and eat Breakfast at 10:00, snack at 12:00, Lunch at 3:00, Snack at 5:00 and dinner at 8:00. I go to bed about 12:00am. Sometimes I get a sweet tooth and eat some fruit around 9:30. I just do not like to eat when I first wake up. It has not kept me from loosing weight at all and I have lost 38 pounds (My ticker is missing the first few months before I started fitness pal.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The reason people make this claim has nothing to do with the actual time on the clock. One would hope we could dispense with such mindless straw men.

People who advocate not eating after dinner are simply saying that if we stop stuffing our face and give our bodies an extended period of time to upregulate hormone sensitive lipase, we might lose some fat.
    It's also probably because most people eat breakfast in the morning. A 10-12 hour fast between the last and first meal of the day is really all that's desired here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CoachReddy
    Options

PAfOSgA.gif

i missed your gifs :smile: