How effective is Zumba?

Options
2»

Replies

• eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Definitely jump in- I started in January and I've lost probably about 24 lbs now, and a few inches off my waist and hips, and I'm 260 lbs. If I can do it, you can do it! And nobody watches you, they just watch the instructor. It's a lot of fun.
  • This_chick221
    Options
    Zumba is a blast! I love any reason to dance, and this is such a fun workout and I sweat and really get some work in. Give it 2-3 classes before you decide! My first class was awful . . . I didn't know the steps and things were so quick. NOW I'm in there with the best of them. So much fun! Good luck! :)
  • 0xbalthamosx0
    0xbalthamosx0 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do zumba.. but I'd be so embarrassed and shy to go on my own >< Is it super friendly? Im totally guessing you are but i'm very shy around new people.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Check out this success story, directly related.

58lbs down i owe most of it to zumba

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920379-58-lbs-down-i-owe-most-of-it-to-zumba
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Very effective, on my best days i could burn more than 800 calories in a 55 min Zumba class.

I hope you give it a try and most importantly ENJOY it, you don't have to be a regular and know all the moves the first try.

Best wishes, and hope you love it.
  • babynun
    babynun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba! Styles varies with different instructor but the important thing is to get your pulse going. There are some modified moves for beginners but the easiest way is to jump right in. I have no rhythm so it was difficult at first. I also do Zumba Core on the Xbox 4x/week and take an actual class weekly.

I think variety with any workout is key for weight loss. You can't do the same thing all the time because boredom can be an issue. Good luck for those who are just starting Zumba!
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The first time I did Zumba, I was wayyy out of shape and not active at all. It was really hard for me to keep up...I even had chest pains after it. I tried it again about a year later after I've been a lot more active (yay college for making me do things) and after an hour, I was ready for more when some of the skinny girls were sweating bullets (made me feel pretty badass).
    Also, you get what you put into it. You can half *kitten* the moves, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most people there won't judge you so don't worry about that. If you put a lot into it, you can burn around 800 calories per hour!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    reguarding being shy, i stood in the corner in the back. that was about 3 months ago. i now have 6 friends in class and we all take at least 2 classes each week together. i take another class and ive made 2 friends in there. thats 8 new zumba friends. you will find that there are regulars, and that there are also the ones that will help you if you need it.