Question for the runners

Options
I recently upped my miles just to see how I could push myself. I'm loosely following my friend's training schedule for a half marathon. However, since I've started running more miles, I am totally out of energy during the day. Yes, I'm eating some more calories and more protein. Is my body just adjusting? Here's what's been typical the last week or two:

Mon - 5 miles
Tue - 3 miles
Wed - 6 miles
Thu - off
Fri - 8 miles
Sat - 4 miiles

I love running... love it! But I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. When I ran less miles, I felt energized by my runs and now I just feel like I'm on empty. Any suggestions to what I could change?

Editing to say that although I'm eating some of my exercise calories back, not all. And my diet is not completely clean. I'm still bad about getting sugar out. Can that be it?

Thanks,
Kim

Replies

• barrierfreeman
    Options
    You need an increase in carbs to fuel your extra running. Sounds like your glycogen stores are getting depleted and not topped up between runs. Protein will help to rebuild/increase muscle, but it is carbs that the body turns into glycogen.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    interested in responses. I feel good after a workout, but then I tank once I get home and just want to sleep. I only do 2 miles a few days a week, or as far as I can in 30 mins.
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    Options
    I would love to know as well, thanks for posting this question :)
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I stuggled with this too ... for one thing, I'm not sure how much you used to be running, but it is generally recommended you don't up your mileage by more than 10% a week -- so if this new routine is dramatically more than you're used to running, you may want to cut back a bit and build up more gradually.

The other thing that helped me was incorporating those Gatorade or Powerade sports drinks. I used to think they were just a marketing gimmick until I started hitting a point after my workouts where I would just lie on the couch and cry -- not because I was so sore but just because I felt so. frigging. empty. The sports drinks really replenished something (not sure if it was sugar or salt or what) but something about them helped. You can also try making your own, there are a few recipes around the internet.

Another thing you could try is even bringing something with you for mid-run, not sure how fast you are but generally anything more than 40 minutes you should replenish while you're still out there. So bring some sports drink, or some of those little athlete snacks (like Gu or whatever), or make your own little power-bar type things.

Just a few thoughts, hope you figure something out! :smile:
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You need an increase in carbs to fuel your extra running. Sounds like your glycogen stores are getting depleted and not topped up between runs. Protein will help to rebuild/increase muscle, but it is carbs that the body turns into glycogen.

I guess I knew that, but I have gotten so used to limiting my carbs and forgot! Thanks for the tip.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I stuggled with this too ... for one thing, I'm not sure how much you used to be running, but it is generally recommended you don't up your mileage by more than 10% a week -- so if this new routine is dramatically more than you're used to running, you may want to cut back a bit and build up more gradually.

The other thing that helped me was incorporating those Gatorade or Powerade sports drinks. I used to think they were just a marketing gimmick until I started hitting a point after my workouts where I would just lie on the couch and cry -- not because I was so sore but just because I felt so. frigging. empty. The sports drinks really replenished something (not sure if it was sugar or salt or what) but something about them helped. You can also try making your own, there are a few recipes around the internet.

Another thing you could try is even bringing something with you for mid-run, not sure how fast you are but generally anything more than 40 minutes you should replenish while you're still out there. So bring some sports drink, or some of those little athlete snacks (like Gu or whatever), or make your own little power-bar type things.

Thank you so much! My friend who is training mentioned the sports drinks too. I am still running indoors on the treadmill because I injured myself pretty badly last time I ran outside. So I always have water on hand if needed. I don't like the artificial sweeteners in the sports drinks, but maybe it's the lesser of two evils. Thanks for your comments! ;-)
  • acakeforawife
    Options

Thank you so much! My friend who is training mentioned the sports drinks too. I am still running indoors on the treadmill because I injured myself pretty badly last time I ran outside. So I always have water on hand if needed. I don't like the artificial sweeteners in the sports drinks, but maybe it's the lesser of two evils. Thanks for your comments! ;-)

You can always try making your own then, if you don't like the sweeteners. I think it's basically just orange juice, sugar, salt and water. You can google for correct proportions. I know a few people who swear by this!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    From my experience, you are getting to the point of needing in-run nutrition. Generally, I use some kind on Gel Pack (like Gu) or Gatorade type drink to refuel during any run longer than 5 miles. You are burning ALOT of calories by running, which is great for anyone trying to losing weight. However, your body needs fuel as well to rebuild and keep you going. This is where eating some your burned calories will come into play, and while Gatorade has lots of calories in it, the things in Gatorade will help keep you energized during endurance events such as long runs.

Also, keep lean proteins in your diet after long runs and try to get some carbs in your system ahead of a run as well to help out. For example, try some kind of bar or pasta dish ahead a run and some grilled fish or chicken for dinner that evening could help with your energy level.