chewing gum after meals

Options
I heard spearmint was the best (also my favorite btw lol)...chewing gum is said to increase your metabolism becuase it tricks the brain into continuously thinking you are eating, but since you are chewing gum no significant amount of calories are being ingested which is why u shouldnt chew gum on an empty stomach because it makes you even hungrier

Anyone else here a post-meal chewer???

Replies

• macheaney
    macheaney Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Chewing some right now! :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Can you show studies for the claim you make??
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Huh? What studies? What makes someone think they are "tricking" their body? My body knew I put the gum in my mouth and that it ain't gonna see no action anywhere else.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I chew gum for two reasons:

1) My breath is rank after I eat.

2) It is the easiest way to constantly push aspartame into my system.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Do you log the calories burned from chewing gum?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i don't need a scientific reason to chew gum...i just like chewing gum....

LOL

but I would be interested in these studies you speak of.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I heard spearmint was the best (also my favorite btw lol)...chewing gum is said to increase your metabolism becuase it tricks the brain into continuously thinking you are eating, but since you are chewing gum no significant amount of calories are being ingested which is why u shouldnt chew gum on an empty stomach because it makes you even hungrier

Anyone else here a post-meal chewer???

I go through like 50 pieces of gum a day to rev up my metabolism and get my daily dose of artificial sweeteners
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I do for a few reasons. It's something to chew on that won't blow my calories; it helps clean my teeth after a meal; I use sugarfree gum so as to avoid damaging my teeth. Mostly, it helps with the desire to chew on something.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mfe7hxtqZ81ro2d43.gif
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    A lot of gums have calories in them...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I chew gum for better balance while doing lunges. Try it...It totally works.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have minor TMJ, so I'm not supposed to chew gum, but I do anyway.

For fun.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I chew gum for the nicotine
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Your theory is inaccurate. Chewing gum actually adds to your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis), which boosts metabolism, but only because you are continuously using your jaw muscles... not because you have tricked your brain.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Really???? I'm going back to bed.

setURCz.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My metabolism isn't that naive.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is also good for toning up your chin. Not sure if it was mentioned in the chin toning thread. Again, be careful if you're a female, that you don't bulk up your chin too much.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I chew gum a lot at work especially after lunch. My favorite gum (Orbit Bubblemint) says that 2 pieces have 5 calories. I sure as hell don't log that. I feel sorry for someone who wouldn't chew a piece of gum because of 5 calories... or maybe I don't, that is just choosing to make yourself miserable. Frankly it is a much better option than alternatives I would put in my mouth between meals.